FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2013 12:34 PM  #1

Anyone know what this little guy is (Electrical) ?

Doing some work under the '66 Coupe dash and repairing some bad wiring previously poorly patched by someone else and there's this that I don't see in the wiring diagrams anywhere. Nothing was connected to it:

(Pinto!)

4/19/2013 2:12 PM  #2

Re: Anyone know what this little guy is (Electrical) ?

Well....what BB says may be pretty good butt (TS&S) he hasn't ever seen that little do-hicky.

If I had to guess, and that's all I can do, I'd guess maybe the timer for the seat belt warning light accessory.  It's bigger than the CRV and, besides, that is bolted down to the inst. cluster. 

My best guess.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/19/2013 2:43 PM  #3

Hmm. The CVR is in place on the back of the instrument cluster as you say and the seat belt indicator light works although it never goes off when the key is in run posistion - useta go off after 15-30 secs when I first got the car and I haven't messed with those connections as far as I can recall. The little seatbelt light timer do-hicky is supposed to be in a different location according to the diagrams but I'll check that just for fun and pull the do-hicky in question off for a closer look. Maybe there's a number on it somewheres and maybe a multi-meter will tell me somethin'.

(Pinto!)

4/19/2013 11:25 PM  #4

Right you are, BB. It is the seat belt light timer module. I think there are green/black wires that attach to it. It has a very distinctive connector. At least that is what it is on my 68.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/20/2013 4:01 PM  #5

Ron68 wrote:

Right you are, BB. It is the seat belt light timer module. I think there are green/black wires that attach to it. It has a very distinctive connector. At least that is what it is on my 68.

Yabutt...McStang says his light worked and he never touched any  wires and this thing don't got no stinking wires attached.  Hmmmmm, one  of life's great mysterys.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2013 12:14 AM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Yabutt...McStang says his light worked and he never touched any  wires and this thing don't got no stinking wires attached.  Hmmmmm, one  of life's great mysterys.

BB

Don't know about that, maybe it is a spare that never got hooked up. It definitely has that wierd 90 deg connector on it that I don't recall seeing on any other modules....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/21/2013 8:44 AM  #7

Could be a late 66 and factory installed for the upcoming 67 models?
Maybe??
Howard

4/21/2013 7:34 PM  #8

Well, turned out to be 'jez the little seat belt timer, there was another one installed (and connected) down under the wiper motor. Strange that both locations utilize factory holes & screws and the wire harness for the thing makes sense in both locations although it can be serviced without removing the dash panel if located behind the wiper motor so that's the one I left hooked up. Haveta say, it sure is a useful feature...

Besides that little mystery, the WYAIT gremlin keeps turning what started out as a front suspension and brake system upgrade into a buncha other stuff. Swapping the pedal assembly means I'm under the dash and it's hard to ignore things under there once you start looking.

Which led to this yesterday afternoon.

and this afternoon.

Needed to install the new defroster ducts anyway...

Last edited by McStang (4/21/2013 7:37 PM)

(Pinto!)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.