FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2014 3:10 PM  #1

aluminum components, radiator and heads

I am using aluminum heads and aluminum radiator with my current, new motor.  What components, liquids should I use with aluminum conponents to get best life expectancy?  Thanks

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

2/24/2014 3:31 PM  #2

Re: aluminum components, radiator and heads

The orange anti-freeze is best, but it will find the tiniest leak hole you can imagine.  I ran the green stuff in my 351W for 14 years and there was no noticeable corrosion on the aluminum heads after 13 years of service.

I'm sure someone here can tell you the exact chemical composition that will best do the job, but I just do what works for me. 
I have the orange stuff in my all aluminum 427, but only because the manufacturer said to be sure and use it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/24/2014 5:31 PM  #3

If you want the absolute best...........zerex  G-05.   warning, its not cheap.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/24/2014 6:39 PM  #4

It would also be best to use distilled water and not tap water.

2/24/2014 7:03 PM  #5

ultrastang wrote:

Ditto ultrastang's distilled water comment.  No telling WHAT is in your local tap water...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/24/2014 9:54 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

ultrastang wrote:

Ditto ultrastang's distilled water comment.  No telling WHAT is in your local tap water...

Thanks for the input.  I am on a well so I don't think the water content would be an issue.

2/25/2014 6:05 AM  #7

well water will definately have deposits in it.   You dont want bottled water, either.  Again minerals, and deposits.  
Distilled water is the only way to go!    

Or you will get mineral deposits inside your radiator.  Have you ever seen inside a hot water tank in the midwest?   Deposits accumulate on the heating elements, then break off when they get too thick and heat expands them.    I take out about a half a five gallon bucket of lime deposits out of my hot water heater every 2 years.  When it breaks off it falls to the bottom and eventually covers the lower element.     In an automobile,  deposits like these will be at the top of the radiator when you look down inside.  

A lot of the sludge found in radiators has roots in not using distilled water.

Last edited by Greg B (2/25/2014 6:12 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/25/2014 8:29 AM  #8

I  have used Prestone concentrate and tap water for 50 years with no issues.
Lately I still use Prestone but have been coerced into the distilled water club.
I am also anal about changing the coolant every two years in all my vehicles.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/25/2014 9:42 PM  #9

Greg B wrote:

well water will definately have deposits in it.   You dont want bottled water, either.  Again minerals, and deposits.  
Distilled water is the only way to go!    

Or you will get mineral deposits inside your radiator.  Have you ever seen inside a hot water tank in the midwest?   Deposits accumulate on the heating elements, then break off when they get too thick and heat expands them.    I take out about a half a five gallon bucket of lime deposits out of my hot water heater every 2 years.  When it breaks off it falls to the bottom and eventually covers the lower element.     In an automobile,  deposits like these will be at the top of the radiator when you look down inside.  

A lot of the sludge found in radiators has roots in not using distilled water.

Thanks for the info.  I will def use the distilled water.  On another subject; How do you get the calcium deposits out of your hot water heater?  Mine has a drain faucet, but no way to get to the inside.

2/26/2014 6:53 AM  #10

well, my old hot water heater, I had made a scoop with a clothes hanger and a little piece of sheet metal, and I scooped it out of the bottom element hole.    

The current hot water heater I have is a Richmond, that has a cleanout hole.   Now I use the shop vac and suck it all out.  

My area, we deal with lime.   

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.