FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2014 10:07 PM  #1

Getting close to buying an AC system for 66 coupe...

what system do you guys suggest that you are happy with? I think it was Bob that made the nice custom duct work...but I don't think he's in production mode yet.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

2/24/2014 10:23 PM  #2

Re: Getting close to buying an AC system for 66 coupe...

I used Vintage Air in my 66.  Only complaints were some rather flimsy brackets to hold the evap unit to the firewall, and the duct routing was less than optimum for the application, but once it got installed, it works very well.

If you get one, get with me before you install it and I can tell you how to make your life alot easier hanging the evaporator.

Since I have not installed any of the others, I cannot give any comparison.

Last edited by MustangSteve (2/24/2014 10:24 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/25/2014 12:13 AM  #3

This thread is very timely. I just bought the Vintage Air Gen IV system for my 65 Fastback. Since the engine bay is empty. I have a blank slate to work with on installation. I haven't installed any of the items behind the dash board with the exception of the wiring harness and Windshield Wipers.

What exactly should I be looking for? Is it better to make a heftier bracket? Was there truly the option to mount the evaporator in one of two locations?

It is unfortunate that I am stuck in Afghanistan for probably 3 more weeks so I can only dream of working on the baby.

2/25/2014 8:37 AM  #4

Classica Auto Air here. Their new offering is all electronic eliminating the cables like the one I have.
Duct routing is a pain  in all retro fits due to the lack of space under the dash.
I had an empty engine bay and all the interior out of mine to do the install which simplified the chore.
On my 68 I also plugged driver side air inlet and removed the associated junk for more space.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/25/2014 1:42 PM  #5

Any particular brand of compressor I should look to buy that last better than others?

2/25/2014 3:25 PM  #6

They both use Sanden.  There are lots of Sanden knock-offs out there.  Not sure if it makes any difference but mine says SANDEN on it.

As for the brackets... WELD the bolts to the brackets.  The slip on clips they provide do not work.  If the bolt is welded to the bracket, it makes it ALOT EASIER to stab them through the firewall since they are between the unit and the firewall and it is nearly impossible to get your hand back there to guide a wobbling bolt into a hole you cannot see.
I stuck some 6" long pieces of steel tubing through the holes from the engine side, then pushed them onto the bolts.  That way when you push the unit up under the dash, the tubes guide the bolts right through the holes.  You will need a helper to install the nuts on the engine compartment side of the firewall while you are holding the AC unit up under the dash.  Once you get those two bolts in, it is clear sailing.

2/25/2014 3:47 PM  #7

thanks for the advicet. Car is still pretty much stripped so will probly order kit in the next day or 2.As for the compressor...was going to go Autozone or discount or oreillys Fox body compressor...any particular years better than others? 

Last edited by mainiac1 (2/25/2014 3:51 PM)

2/25/2014 4:24 PM  #8

I have installed two Gen IV systems, one in my 67 FB  and one in my 70 Mach 1..if budget allows go for the whole kit...simplify your life.....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

2/25/2014 5:22 PM  #9

mainiac1 wrote:

thanks for the advicet. Car is still pretty much stripped so will probly order kit in the next day or 2.As for the compressor...was going to go Autozone or discount or oreillys Fox body compressor...any particular years better than others? 

Any reason that you are not getting the compressor with the kit?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/25/2014 6:16 PM  #10

the guy I talked to at Old Air Products priced it with out a compresor as I'm running a serpentine belt system...maybe they don't offer it with that type pulley?? might have to call them back tom to see why.

2/25/2014 7:04 PM  #11

They do offer Sandens with serpentine belt type pulley but that compresor won't bolt up to the Fox 5.0 brackets.  You might be better off with an OEM Fox Mustang type compressor.  Just be sure it is one without any debris floating around inside of it.

2/26/2014 7:01 PM  #12

Speaking of a/c how does the stock 65 unit perform ? I need to figure out how to wire it up the previous undid the wires.

2/26/2014 8:42 PM  #13

I can get a new Sandens for $130 shipped...but pic they show for it has wrong bracketry to fit my foxbody brackets? Autozone compressor looks like it'll bolt right up,but ebay compressors have the side mounting brackets instead of the front to back...? I'm hoping they are using a generic picture. Emailed a question to seller about it tonite.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.