FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2014 8:38 AM  #1

taillight question

On the back of the taillight buckets where the wiring harnass plugs in, it goes thru a rubber cap. I've been losing my lights occasionaly, and by wiggling the wires and cap, the lights start working again.
Does the harnass plug into the bucket or does it actually terminate inside the bucket. Don't won't to pull on it only to find out I've made things worse.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

2/25/2014 6:06 PM  #2

Re: taillight question

at, you can unplug that cable where it goes into the back of the taillight.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

2/25/2014 7:02 PM  #3

See my web page for a simple repair...
http://www.mustangsteve.com/taillightsocket.html

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/26/2014 7:33 AM  #4

Thanx for the responses. Pulled em off and they looked ok, but if I rotate them on the socket, the lights go on and off. Looks like I'll have to do the MS fix. Don't know how long this has been going on, but I'm happy I installed the third brake light long ago.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

2/26/2014 10:25 AM  #5

at wrote:

Thanx for the responses. Pulled em off and they looked ok, but if I rotate them on the socket, the lights go on and off. Looks like I'll have to do the MS fix. Don't know how long this has been going on, but I'm happy I installed the third brake light long ago.

You might be able to just solder the bulb receptacle to the light housing to complete that ground that is not tight.  But if the internal spring-loaded contacts are messed up, a new socket is probably in order.

Hint:   To make the lights appear brighter, paint the inside of the housings bright gloss white.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/26/2014 5:12 PM  #6

at, I had the same problem on one tail light on my '66.  I took out the brass contact from the socket and swapped in another one from a spare tl bucket. That fixed it.

2/27/2014 9:26 PM  #7

MS,  I thought the white paint was gas tank sealer in your "how to" picture.  I thought; wow, thats pretty good if water gets behind the light, the sealer will keep it from rotting.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.