FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2013 4:58 PM  #1

horn sounds at will

took my 65 out for a drive today and the horn decides it wants to honk at will. most notably while driving thru a local park as if to say hey look at me!!
anyway what would the usual suspect be??  Keep in mind I just put new gauges in the dash.  I did wire my horn thru a relay last fall.  I spliced the relay wiring in under the hood where the wires split to each horn.  It has never done this before so i dont suspect the relay wiring.  Does anyone know where the wiring for the horn runs?  I know it runs down the steering column then under the dash but where to exactly?  The only wires I saw that were affected during my short the other day was to the lights on my gauges and the old wire to the A/C.  I dont suspect that either.  I am going to check my wiring diagrams to see if it shows where the wires run.  I just thought maybe someone has experienced this problem

4/20/2013 6:42 PM  #2

Re: horn sounds at will

The old getting Horny in the park problem.
Were you turning the steering wheel when it honked or going straight?

4/20/2013 7:09 PM  #3

I would look at the horn contacts in the steering wheel.  Do you have an original wheel or aftermarket?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/20/2013 7:37 PM  #4

Leave it the way it is but just make sure you wave every time it honks, every one will wave back at you - - good P/R.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/20/2013 7:59 PM  #5

jollem wrote:

The old getting Horny in the park problem.
Were you turning the steering wheel when it honked or going straight?

yeah they put you in jail for that crap now days!!
seems to me if i member right i had made a turn and was going straight.

MS I have a stock steering wheel

4/20/2013 8:50 PM  #6

Pull the horn relay to stop it butt (TS&T), it sounds like the fix will be found in the steering wheel hub.  That's where the switch is and the only place there is any kind of movement that could cause the the contacts to make up accidentally.

This is why I recommend BB's horn circuit mod whenever anyone is talking about horns.  The stock system takes 12v from the HL switch and runs it through the horn switch, then out to the horns.  When the  contacts in the steering wheel hub go to hell you either get what you have...inadvertent horn honking... or what happend to Sal in Dallas, a solid short to ground which renders the HLs unavailable.

Here's the  fix:  (After you fix the present switch problem) There's a little yellow wire (#460) that runs from the HL switch to the column.  Cut it and tape up the HL switch end.  Add a ring eyelet to the column end and ground it.  Out at you relays, remove the wire from terminal 85 or 86 that you now have grounded and splice it into the always hot battery wire that you are using for horn power.  Now when you hit the horn button you will be applying ground to the relay coil rather than 12V from the HL switch.  That way when the switch goes to hell the worst it an do is blow the horn, but it can't short the HL switch to ground and cause real trouble. 

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/20/2013 8:51 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.