FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2014 8:21 PM  #1

Bit the bullet, took the dive.

I do not have a lot of spare $$$'s of dollar these days, but I have been salivating over one of these for some time.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-rally-pac-6000rpm-v8-1966/p/RP5-V/

They had as good a price on them as I think you are liable to find and the Scott Drake version will work with my Pertronix ignitor.  It also will not leave me stranded should it happen to fail. (like the OEM version)

I ordered the black one and will paint it to match my '65 red interior.  I will post pictures when it is done.

It is not the year correct version for my '65 but it will match my not year correct Autolite 4100 ('66 auto version)  that I have not installed yet.  I think it is better looking, and I definitely like the wider tach sweep, compared to the '65 version.  I got it with the 6k tach.

Last edited by boomyal (2/25/2014 8:28 PM)

2/26/2014 6:54 PM  #2

Re: Bit the bullet, took the dive.

If you don't mind it not being original style what about making one? You could always fairly easily make one. After all it's not original unless you had one but not any longer. So it won't be original after installing it. You could use a peice of alluminum bend to your liking tape in place then for the gauge parts you could use the steering column upper coller as a plug for a mold. Get some painters tape plastic fiber glass resin bondo filler fiber glass sheet foam roller or chip brush. And I use pantyhose for when I do fiberglass work as they are similar absorption as fiberglass don't use fleece it becomes brittle and it absorbs tons of resin.  Rap the coller with plastic neatly smoot as you can get then use your fiberglass resin and brush over part. Then apply glass or pantyhose. Then when hardened you'll need to apply a few more layers get to about is say about 1/16" thick or lil less. Then once this is does pull off that gauge pod then repeat for other pod. Then on the alluminum you shaped you can either attach it to the pods or wrap with fiber glass and then attach to the pods. Oh for the end of the pods you'll want to close the back end sort of off just wrap with some glass two layers maybe 3 should be fine.. Then just prep sand filler prime paint it and then admire your cluster

Or go ms steve way if you got welding skills

I feel dumb just realized you bought one

Last edited by True74yamaha (2/26/2014 6:56 PM)

2/26/2014 8:47 PM  #3

True74yamaha wrote:

....I feel dumb just realized you bought one.....

No need T, appreciate your thoughts.  I am always one who will go the extra mile to craft something but in this case I decided to go with what someone else crafted.  I know it is not year correct but it is close enough and has the appearance and tach sweep that I like.

2/27/2014 5:11 AM  #4

Boom them look pretty nice, sure like to see the finished product.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

2/27/2014 6:10 AM  #5

Dang!  So they're finally in stock.    I just recently purchased an Oval brand one, which has the oem hookup but also the FORD word on the faceplate.    I didn't really want the oem hookup so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.     

edit:  whoops, I see you purchased a '65 style one.   I've been waiting for their '66 style.

Last edited by gjz30075 (2/27/2014 6:11 AM)

2/27/2014 10:09 AM  #6

gjz30075 wrote:

.......edit:  whoops, I see you purchased a '65 style one.   I've been waiting for their '66 style......

Nope, I did get the latter '66 style.  The '65 has the straight crossbar and IMHO looks kind of clunky.  Plus, the '66 has the near full dial tach sweep.

Last edited by boomyal (2/27/2014 10:10 AM)

2/27/2014 7:40 PM  #7

Boomyal,
I am glad to see someone else went with the 6000 rpm tach.  That is the one I picked too!

2/27/2014 10:14 PM  #8

SteveinNC wrote:

Boomyal,
I am glad to see someone else went with the 6000 rpm tach.  That is the one I picked too!

Ego aside, it is kind of pointless to go with a tach that exceeds what your engine is ever liable to achieve..

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.