FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2014 7:10 AM  #1

any need to grease the turn signal switch

when re-installing it? reinstalling original...ok its been replaced before, so its newer than the original, but had a bit of old grease I cleaned off...are there any points I should grease on it...horn contacts..? blinker pivit points? searched around looking at videos of replacing switch assy and none had you grease anything putting it back together, but they were all new switches which may have been pre grease from factory. BTW, have a 13" Grant steering wheel am instaslling once I grease or not grease the blinker switch assy...any grease go on the copper horn contact plates? or should they be clean and dry? I've heard these Grant wheels are a real PITA to install. Looks like I gotta cut off an 1/8" off the end of steering shaft to let the chrome cap snap in place....any other words of wisdom?

Last edited by mainiac1 (3/03/2014 7:18 AM)

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

3/03/2014 7:19 AM  #2

Re: any need to grease the turn signal switch

When I replced mine I used a dielectric grease on the contacts and a white lithium grease on the other parts that come into contact with each other. It is strill working fine with an aftermarket Grant wheel.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/03/2014 8:34 AM  #3

X2 what Rudi said. I put a Grant 13" on mine didn't need to cut anything off the top. I cut the bottom end off to connect to a different steering box, that may have been was the difference. Don't quite remember how the wheel went together, can you use a 1/8" spacer to hold the wheel out farther. Maybe this will help from cutting off the threads.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/03/2014 10:21 AM  #4

Won't have to cut threads as the end of the shaft is a short unthreaded stub. I had read on another forum about trouble getting the chrome center cap to snap on and the shaft causing a little interference that could be fixed by cutting a small chunk off the end.

3/03/2014 12:46 PM  #5

Never heard of having to cut off the shaft.  Can't figure that one out??

If you have an original canceling cam, you can modify the grant adapter to use it and it will work much better than those two roll pins that tend to break switches.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/03/2014 2:23 PM  #6

I temp started assembling the wheel/horn stuff and does look like the shaft is a tad too long and might interfere w the chrome center cap. As for the orig cancelling cam...will have to dig through parts to see what else I have...the cam I planned on using  looks a little different...has 2 kind of hollow halve posts comming off what you are showing in your pic to engage the switch cam. My column is a 66/68....used a 68 colapsable column and hazard/blinker plate, assy shortened to fit, with roller tube bearing at lower end, and rag joint welded on w splined adapter to fit borg box. Not just a reg 66 column. Did you cut off those roll pin extensions on the assy in your pic?

3/03/2014 10:46 PM  #7

Yes the extensions were removed since the grant adapter moves the cam farther into the column than stock.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.