FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2014 10:36 PM  #1

Hey Derek....how's those tubs coming?

I was thinking about it today and(dangerous when I do that!!) and to "show-off those big fatties" from the rear I wonder if you could move the gas tank UP a few inches into the trunk and have a more open look to the rear end and big tires. Sure you would lose some trunk space butt its not like you use the Mustang for long cross-country trips with the wife and three kids! (except coming to the MSBB?? this year!) With it more open in the back you may need to modify the rear valance or just make a custom rolled pan or something.  Hey give it a big-old California rake with the rear higher than the front. The funny car look!  Just food for thought.
I'm anxious to see how it looks!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/04/2014 12:04 PM  #2

Re: Hey Derek....how's those tubs coming?

Hey Sal , If you keep giving me ideas I'll never get this thing done! ..... I got the the passenger side cut & fitted the other day. I didn't find any surprise rust on this side ,so thats good news. I'm waiting for some wire wheels to come in so I can clean all the surface rust off the bottom of the packedge tray before installing the new tub. And I've got to go out of town for work so it mite be ah week or so before I can burn everything in. As for the gas tank, I never understood why race cars always moved them up high. It seems to me you'd want it down lower for better center of gravity? I originally wanted to do some kind of safety fuel cell. After smashing the last car the gas tank tore open like ah bad check. So I'm still undecided on what I want to do with that....

Last edited by Derek (3/04/2014 3:39 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

3/04/2014 1:03 PM  #3

Most racing sanctioning bodies have rules about how low the cell can be. Higher in the body means they are protected better and will clear stuff on the track.

3/04/2014 3:14 PM  #4

DC wrote:

Most racing sanctioning bodies have rules about how low the cell can be. Higher in the body means they are protected better and will clear stuff on the track.

That makes sense ...

3/04/2014 3:17 PM  #5

Here Sal , Here's some pics to hold us over. The second one is of the bottom of the packedge tray. As you can see it'll be much easier to wire wheel it while the tubs out of the way.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.