FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2014 4:59 AM  #1

radiator core support rubber seal question.

Why were they installed on the 6cyl cars and not the smallblocks?  I know they were also on some bigblock mustangs also.  What was their intended function?

3/04/2014 8:35 AM  #2

Re: radiator core support rubber seal question.

I wondered this too. The idea of course would be to force more air through the radiator to aid cooling. Before I bought ah new aluminum radiator to solve over heating problems I tried adding one to my 66-289. It didn't solve my problem ,but that dosen't mean it didn't help. As to why small block V8 cars didn't have them I've never heard a difinite answer either. My crazy theory is this, Big block cars tended to have hood scoops or even ram air to feed cold air into the engine. Small blocks (if equipped with open element air filters) could get cold air into the top of the engine compartment if they deleated the rad support seal. This is just my crazy theory 

Last edited by Derek (3/04/2014 3:34 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

3/04/2014 9:01 AM  #3

Derek....that's just crazy talk. 

3/04/2014 9:10 AM  #4

I've often wondered about this, but have no answer. It strikes me odd too that the radiator is only eighteen inches wide when other fords of the period with the same 289 had twenty and twenty four inch wide radiators. Leave to a guy named Shelby on the GT350 and Mustang Steve to figure out a way to add larger radiators!

3/04/2014 9:16 AM  #5

I added that seal to my SB vehicle as well. Besides the more air through the rad theory I believe that it keeps a lot of dust and road crap off the engine.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/04/2014 3:24 PM  #6

I think it was to aid in cooling. There must have been an issue with the 6 cylinder that was not with the V8's.  I know that I've felt hot air rush OUT of that gap which then would be easily sucked back through the radiator.

I've noticed that newer cars with electric fans seal off everything between the engine compartment and the front.  I've been told that it's to force more air thru the radiator (an interesting concept), but maybe it's really to keep any hot air from recycling back throught the radiator at stand still.

jerry

3/04/2014 5:58 PM  #7

Thanks for the response.  My car is a retromod I guess, it was originally a 6cyl.  I took that seal off and never replaced it when I put the 351 in it, but I'm considering installing a new seal, just wondered if it would have any effect.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.