FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2014 10:24 PM  #1

Is there easy ways to test bad cowl

I'm curious if my 65 may have a bad cowl. Got into my car to work on the inside and notice the carpet was damp. Hopefully it's not I know they aren't fun to replace. Any ideas? I looked into the cowl grill and I could see any rust at all. Any help is appreciated.

3/04/2014 10:27 PM  #2

Re: Is there easy ways to test bad cowl

Bout the best way is lay in the floorboard with a flashlight while someone outside is spraying the water hose on/around the cowl vent. If its leaking you should be able to see some drips doing that.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/04/2014 10:50 PM  #3

Ours was rotted so bad that I could stick a finger through the bottom of the cowl all around the right side vent.  Some PO had tried to fix it with about five pounds of MS's favorite goop butt (TS&T) of course, that just made a bigger mess.

It's getting a new inner and outer as part of it's body rehab.  Looks like it's gonna be very nice.  I removed the old cowl which took a couple of hours but was nowhere near as bad as I had been led to believe.  However, due to my own problems I'm having the body guy do the metal work on the car and he'll re-install the new cowl.

In my opinion DO NOT try to do a quick and dirty fix.  That's just wasting time and $$ and won't work.  It really isn't that bad to fix correctly, and a number of guys on here have done it.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/04/2014 11:45 PM  #4

Could my cowl vent maybe have closed all the way letting the water come in I honestly could see any rust around in there? I'll try using the garden hose

3/05/2014 1:28 AM  #5

Water should not enter regardless of which position your vent levers are in.
 Is your leak on the right hand side? Heater core?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/05/2014 6:21 AM  #6

Here's what the inside of a new cowl looks like.And here's what an original one looks like.

It's hard to type "funny"

3/05/2014 6:49 AM  #7

Left hand side

3/05/2014 6:53 AM  #8

I see hopefully the rain got past my crappy weather striping but I'll use my garden hose and test my cowl. That's crazy though yours wasn't to bad. Is crazy mine would be leaking there's no visible rust in there at all that I could see with a flash light from up top looking in. Oh well just another thing to add to my never ending story. I thought I just condensed mine down to ha ha. Thanks guys

3/05/2014 7:51 AM  #9

Derek wrote:

Here's what the inside of a new cowl looks like.And here's what an original one looks like.

Derek, is that "strip chalk" that you used  to seal between the inner and outer?  How did  it work after welding?   Looks like you welded the innner down first, then welded the outer to it.  How'd that work?

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/05/2014 8:52 AM  #10

Yes it's strip caulk. In addition I also spread ah VERY thin layer of roofing tar onto the flange of the cowl top. As I welded it together the tar & the caulk heated up ,turned to a semi liquid and filled inbetween the the two peices. The trick is to paint on the roofing tar with a small model brush and stay ah little bit away from each one of your punch holes. That way the tar doesn't contaminate your welds. VERY tricky and time consuming but I should NEVER have rust in there again...

Last edited by Derek (3/05/2014 8:52 AM)

It's hard to type "funny"

3/05/2014 12:21 PM  #11

Process of elimination:
Get everything that was wet as dried out as possible.
Place masking tape over the cowl vent slots to block them from water entering the cowl
Spray garden hose water heavily all around the windshield gasket, starting at the bottom and working upward.  If you start at the top, you won't know if a gasket leak is at top or at bottom.  Check bottom of WS first, then move upward.

If you get water inside the car, the windshield gasket is the problem.

If no water gets in the car, remove the tape and pour water into the cowl vents. If you spray with a garden hose, there is a chance you can spray higher than the dams around the vents.  If you get water this time, you know what is leaking.  You can take a coathanger wire and poke around the dams to see if you find any holes, reaching through the cowl vent slots.

If you find rust holes, there is only one way to do it right.  Replace everything and be sure to seam-seal and paint afterwards.

A temporary fix for MINOR rust at the bottom of the dams is to insert some of those repair kits that look like a top hat, yes... and they use RTV to help seal.  Those are usually good enough to get you through the winter until you can fix it right, but if the rust has invaded the horizontal metal around the dams, even those won't do any good.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/05/2014 2:30 PM  #12

Awesome thanks steve kinda thought it might be the windshield I actually had it replaced a while ago and the guy didn't seam really like he knew what he was doing. He only sprayed lil here and there with his spray silicone sealer. At least he didn't scratch it like the guy who removed them did.  Hopefully it's the windshield and or other seal letting water come in the car. Bad thing is and I'm
Actually good a keeping receipts is I had my cars windshield replaced on my bday and took my car out that day and my parents gave him my money when I split. My parents didn't get a receipt and I can't remember which place I went threw to get it done oh well hopefully all works out

3/25/2014 11:14 AM  #13

Well I use to not have good lunch well that changed. I dumped some water down the cowling to test it and see if it was bad. I was suprised to see none come pouring into the car. It turns out it was my windsheild seal which id rather deal with but the funny/crappy thing is the windsheild and seal were just replaced not even a year ago

3/25/2014 9:02 PM  #14

Be happy, the windshield seal repair is easier than replacing the cowl panels.

3/26/2014 12:53 AM  #15

I know I'm excited usually that kinda good stuff doesn't happen. Oh well hopefully I can find my receipt for it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.