FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2014 2:25 PM  #1

What od trans would be good in a 65 with 289

I'm was thinking about upgrading to a overdrive transmission in my 65. Some of you I'm sure are wondering why change to an overdrive instead of going manual. Well I had a bad cat accident left me with herniated discs and bulging discs and messed up hips so I don't feel comforatable doing a manual car. So nuff said I'm thinking I want to upgrade to a od tranmission

3/06/2014 2:35 PM  #2

Re: What od trans would be good in a 65 with 289

AOD

4R70W is the very best of the AOD family

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

3/06/2014 3:08 PM  #3

Isn't the r470w an AODE trans not an AOD? Which would be better? I Hurd the AODE trans that you mentioned could be used and is nice because it will handle a lot more hp than a regular AOD. I found this site which was helpful to answer some of my questions http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/transmission-articles/501897-installing-4r70w-overdrive-transmission-older-classic-ford.html maybe will help others curious about the swap. Anyone here done a AOD or AODE transmission swap?

3/06/2014 4:39 PM  #4

True74yamaha wrote:

Isn't the r470w an AODE trans not an AOD? Which would be better? I Hurd the AODE trans that you mentioned could be used and is nice because it will handle a lot more hp than a regular AOD. I found this site which was helpful to answer some of my questions http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/transmission-articles/501897-installing-4r70w-overdrive-transmission-older-classic-ford.html maybe will help others curious about the swap. Anyone here done a AOD or AODE transmission swap?

A few here have done the AOD and the R470W , I have an AOD in my 68 but the R470W would be the better choice nowadays.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/06/2014 4:53 PM  #5

Do some searches on the fit of AOD and variants in the 65/66.  There are crossmembers available but they drop the back end of the trans down and you may end up with 4 to 5 degree engine/transmission angles and when matching up the rear you can start to affect u-joint life.  To maintain the 3 degrees (ish) of a stock driveline you may have to do some clearancing of the tunnel.  67 and up have a bit more room but even in those cars the aftermarket crossmembers tend to drop the back end down to avoid the tunnel and if you are not aware of the angle change you can end up with driveline vibration.  Every car is different so you fit may be better or worse - best advice is to measure and be sure.

3/06/2014 5:40 PM  #6

The AOD is the first iteration of the Ford "Automatic Over Drive" family of transmissions. The AODE and 4R70W are follow ons of the same basic trans. The difference coming from AODE/4R70W's using electric sensors rather than the hydraulic sensors in the origional AOD.
 Most of the internals from the electric trannys are transferable to the AOD case, excepting you will not have a full lock up converter w/one piece output shaft, as the later AODE/4R70W.
Cases of the AOD and later AODE/4R70W are alike excepting, the later tranns are 1" deeper in the bell housing. AODE and 4R70W's are essentially the same(different diodes) except the 4R used a DS yoke of larger external diameter, so the tail shaft yoke hole is larger. Tails shaft housing are readily swapable to use a stronger T-5 yoke on the 4R trannys.
My 65 2+2 has a 4R70W(tailshaft housing swapped to a short AOD version) in it with no fitment issues. Though after reading I may need to reset the pinion angle.

Corky

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

3/06/2014 9:17 PM  #7

Awesome guys thanks for he advice into the transmission swap

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.