FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2014 7:10 PM  #1

Switching from a v belt on a 65 289 a good idea?

I'm thinking of converting to a surpentine belt set up on my car. Can I get a water pump from a 302 or 5.0 and install on my 289? And then pull pulleys off one as well from a junk yard or something and then have a surpentine set up seance they are similar small blocks?

3/07/2014 7:13 PM  #2

Re: Switching from a v belt on a 65 289 a good idea?

IMHO, why bother?  Unless you have some special need, my '65 does just dandy (AC and all) with the original V belt setup.  Soounds like it would be a lot of work and cost for little benefit.  Just mu $.02!

3/07/2014 7:25 PM  #3

True. No reason to start a new thread for this question what would a good a/c compressor upgrade be for the 65

3/07/2014 8:05 PM  #4

True74yamaha wrote:

True. No reason to start a new thread for this question what would a good a/c compressor upgrade be for the 65

Dunno True7.  I'm still running the OEM York compressor that came on the car from the factory.

I evacuated and recharged it in '82 and it still blows cool to this day.  It does want to be recharged but I am anticipating disconnecting it to install a factory 4 bbl cam and an original Autolite 4100 4bbl.  So I will wait until all that happens.

I know the old York piston compressor is old school and would probably not use one today if I was just installing a system, but I gotta stick with proven success.

3/07/2014 8:19 PM  #5

I had no idea they were that good. That's awesome maybe that's why they unplugged mine so it wouldn't ruin a good unit

3/08/2014 9:04 AM  #6

it is a great idea. Often the original V belt style will slip the matter how you adjust it. Just make sure you use the right water pump and pulleys as the combos changed quite a bit over the years

3/08/2014 5:13 PM  #7

You will need a custom harmonic balancer in  order to bolt up the serpentine lower pulley.  One from a 5.0 won't work. 
If using Fox Mustang setup, radiator lower hose will be on opposite side.

New timing cover, harmonic balancer, timing pointer, possibly oil dipstick.  Also new fan since it rotates backwards on the Fox serpentine setup.

I have a nice Sanden compressor mount designed for a 289 that can be had for a reasonable amount.  Right now it also has a 65/66 power steering pump bracket attached to it, but that could easily be removed.  Or maybe you have power steering and it would simplify things.
Send me an email or PM if you need the ac bracket.  The ad for it might still be on the swap meet page from a few months ago.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/08/2014 5:24 PM  #8

Awesome I'll have to check it out

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.