FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2014 8:59 AM  #1

Mustang Head lights -- Halogen question.. and update on whats going on

So I know I have not been around enough since my last posts. Truth is I have still been working on the car, and actually been enjoying just riding it.. :D .. after the last fix up of the re machining of the heads, rebuilding of the power steering system... the car is running well.. 

In the last month I redid the inner and outer wheel bearings on the front wheels. and then also installed my monte carlo bar and export brace !! :D YAY!! :D 

I actually was able to find a problem and solve it.. DM actually installed my new front shocks and stuts , saddles, and all last june, and almost since day one, passenger side would sort of knock .. or have a clunk going over a bumpy roady.. or just not smooth road.. That drove me bananas!! ::---->

I kept thinking it could be my upper ball joint on that side as that was missing (broken) its grease fitting. Well.. I changed both upper ball joints too last month ,and while its good I changed them, that didnt help.. Ithougth it was my wheel bearings going out or installed improperly, while I changed them too.. NOPE. .

I was installing my export brace, when I removed the strut cover from the top that holds the two strut screws and is sintalled on the shock tower with 3 bolts, the strut basically felt like it was loose.. TOO loose. found out THAT was my issue. tightened it from the bottom, let the front of the car hang on its weight for a while to get the holes on the firewall side to align, and yes the frame moved close to a 1/2 inch hanging, to where I was able to use a screw driver with one hand to push it all forward and screws in the other to install them.. All chrome and shiny :D :D 

The ride is amazinglky smooth wit hthe stiffened suspension , and well packed new bearings and ball joints. It flows on the road.. LOVE IT!! 

now that i enjoy driving it more, as I know the car better, and I am not as intimidated to poke around.. I take it out on drives more. It takes me to work everyday anywaz.. so after the weekend, every Monday I am actually happy that I am going to get to drive my stang again. :D... and the formost important thing : WIFE likes to ride in it too. Its not bumpy noisy ride.. and engine is not making wierd vibrations and noises. .AS far as I know .. :hahahhahhahah 

Well.. That means the head lights need an update.. esp if i want to go on a late night cruze.. the stock headlights are OK but only if I have them on high beams.. low beams are good but definitely not enough .. esp compared to the lighting outside.. 

So .. Halogen lights.. What to buy? where to buy from? Relay or not?  I dont want to spend 200 bucks on head lights.. I want to keep it all under or at 100.. Something reliable, I honestly dont care it to have "FOMOCO" on it... I am ok with that not being there. I would rather have brighter lights on a cheaper price, than pay for FoMoCo at this point of time. 

So please guide me ohhh wise ones  

unrelated::

I also need to know what tool is it I would use to remove the C clips from the door handle, and the handle for the mirror? the c clip removers i have are straight nose and bent ones too.. but I am wondering if I need something else.. different? 

Last edited by Gaba (3/10/2014 11:13 AM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

3/10/2014 9:03 AM  #2

Re: Mustang Head lights -- Halogen question.. and update on whats going on

3/10/2014 10:22 AM  #3

Not sure what type of halogen set up to use but if you are going to change over I would use relays with them. Best to mount the relays up front near the lights and battery. Part of the idea of relays is to stop the higher current to run the lights from going through your head light switch. This will help the life of the switch. Also, with the relays mounted near the front, you have less voltage drop than going from the battery back to the light switch and back up front to the lights. Less voltage drop will help the lights burn brighter. You may want to try a relay set up with your stock lights and see if that helps. If it does not you can use the same relay setup with the halogen lights.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/10/2014 10:33 AM  #4

I could draw you a schematic but if you go to James W's web site you'll get all the info you need.

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/10/2014 10:34 AM  #5

It's real satisfying, Gaba, when the ol' stang is tight and quiet.  It makes it the fun car it should be.
As for the headlights, IMHO anything you put in that draws more juice than stock, you should do relays.  I just went thru that with my '65.  I had 32 year old (but hardly ever used) Sylvania Halogen Sealed Beams.

My headlight switch died, so I replaced it, then built a relay system that did not cut into the OEM harness but provided new 12 ga wires out to my new headlights. Unlike you, I opted for the expensive, high powered Cibie 90/100 watt headlights.  Wow!  Talk about lights!

3/10/2014 2:55 PM  #6

while i dont mind fabricating stuff. but .. if you have a place i buy it pre done .. for cheap I would take that too.. :D

as for the halogens... what  to buy? where to buy?

3/10/2014 4:00 PM  #7

Newer style headlights don't necessarily mean they are better. When I tore my car down, I replaced my bulbs with some h-4 conversion lamps (housings, adapters...whatever). They were bright, but I always felt like I was outrunning my lights at night.

The other night I was parking in the garage and I got a little too close to the tablesaw and broke the glass on one of my headlamps. I replaced them with some $9 sylvanias and, although they are not as white as the H-4s, but I can see so much better.

This is one case where one of my "upgrades" was not really an upgrade.
BobN

3/10/2014 5:50 PM  #8

BobN wrote:

Newer style headlights don't necessarily mean they are better. When I tore my car down, I replaced my bulbs with some h-4 conversion lamps (housings, adapters...whatever). They were bright, but I always felt like I was outrunning my lights at night.

The other night I was parking in the garage and I got a little too close to the tablesaw and broke the glass on one of my headlamps. I replaced them with some $9 sylvanias and, although they are not as white as the H-4s, but I can see so much better.

This is one case where one of my "upgrades" was not really an upgrade.
BobN

Did you try relays? Or a higher luminosity bulb?

3/10/2014 6:00 PM  #9

BobN wrote:

......They were bright, but I always felt like I was outrunning my lights at night............

Bob, that's 'cause you didn't use the right stuff!  Yeah, if you had  broken one of them on the table saw it would have not been so cheap to repair, but...........in a few instances, the French had a better idea!

Last edited by boomyal (3/10/2014 6:03 PM)

3/10/2014 6:02 PM  #10

Gaba wrote:

.........Did you try relays? Or a higher luminosity bulb?....

Higher 'luminosity' bulb, equals increased need for relays!

3/10/2014 7:52 PM  #11

So.. friends.. I did tried to find the relays I couldnt find all what I needed. I would realy appreciate your help in where to go and what to find.. Lol.. even premade relay harness is acceptable to me :D .. 

And again, what halogen lamps

3/10/2014 9:21 PM  #12

Gaba wrote:

So.. friends.. I did tried to find the relays I couldnt find all what I needed. I would realy appreciate your help in where to go and what to find.. Lol.. even premade relay harness is acceptable to me :D .. 

My lights are Cibies.  Don't bother with the Bosch bulbs or one domestic name I cannot remember.  They did not fit your headlight buckets. 

There is no one who makes the harness that I pictured above.  I made that to avoid cutting into the factory harness then still have small gauge wires going out to the headlights. My harness back feeds the switch signal from the headlight switch to the relays, then sends current to the headlights direct from the battery, via 12 ga wires.

Last edited by boomyal (3/10/2014 9:23 PM)

3/11/2014 5:29 AM  #13

Congrats on the progress!   That's a great looking car.  I know you'll enjoy it.

About the headlights, I've found that a lot of the aftermarket bulb and reflector headlamp assemblies are really intended for motorcycles and they have a light pattern that is not "friendly" to cars (as BobN discovered).  

A halogen bulb does not necessarily mean that you have to use relays.  Try some of the off-the-shelf sealed beam replacments from your auto parts store - they're almost all halogen these days.  They will be legal, will fit your car with no issues, won't blind other drivers when properly aimed, and will provide more light output per electrical watt input than a standard sealed beam.  

If the lights are still not up to par, then do the relays.

Last edited by John Ha (3/11/2014 5:33 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/11/2014 7:15 AM  #14

Gaba wrote:

Painless makes the harness you are looking for. Very easy install.....

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/lv.php?sl=30815

Pretty sure this is what I used on the Mach

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

3/11/2014 7:16 AM  #15

John Ha wrote:

Congrats on the progress!   That's a great looking car.  I know you'll enjoy it.

About the headlights, I've found that a lot of the aftermarket bulb and reflector headlamp assemblies are really intended for motorcycles and they have a light pattern that is not "friendly" to cars (as BobN discovered).  

A halogen bulb does not necessarily mean that you have to use relays.  Try some of the off-the-shelf sealed beam replacments from your auto parts store - they're almost all halogen these days.  They will be legal, will fit your car with no issues, won't blind other drivers when properly aimed, and will provide more light output per electrical watt input than a standard sealed beam.  

If the lights are still not up to par, then do the relays.

Just for giggles check the voltage you are getting at the headlight bulb before you do anything. When I checked mine I was getting a bit over eleven volts so did the relay conversion and got full output from the electrical system, over 13 volts which resulted in way brighter lighting.
 Old wireing will reduce the output of the head lights plus the added current draw will likely put a strain on the headlight switch and cause the internal breaker to pop in and out.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/11/2014 6:14 PM  #16

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HR-58

Gaba wrote:

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

3/11/2014 6:27 PM  #17

My harness makes more sense. You don't have to fiddle with the dimmer switch.  All the work is completed from the starter relay forward to each headlight.

3/11/2014 6:45 PM  #18

Lots of info here. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
As for what type, most Mustang supply houses have halogen sealed beam replacements. I used a Try-Bar set up  from NPD with H-3 bulbs, real flame throwers!

Last edited by Rudi (3/11/2014 6:46 PM)

3/11/2014 7:25 PM  #19

Rudi wrote:

As for what type, most Mustang supply houses have halogen sealed beam replacements. I used a Try-Bar set up  from NPD with H-3 bulbs, real flame throwers!

Rudy, TriBar is the name I could not remember.  I ordered a set of those before I got the Cibies.  They were too deep.  They would not fit in the '65 headlight bucket and allow you to attach the stainless ring.  Even if I had butchered my buckets, the connectors would have run into the cast healight housing.

Daniel Stern is where I got the Cibies. He seemed to be the only one dealing in them. They were not cheap like they were (relatively speaking) when I used them back in the seventies.  I suppose that is because there are no current vehicles that use that type of headlight.  But as they were back in the 70's, they remain to be the best sealed beam replacement.  Hellas may be decent lights but they have a very flattish lense and do not look good.

Besides that, the TriBars did not have an original sealed beam appearance whereas, except for some engineered fluting on the lens, at a glance you cannot tell the Cibies from standard sealed beams.

Last edited by boomyal (3/11/2014 7:32 PM)

3/11/2014 7:58 PM  #20

3/11/2014 8:18 PM  #21

boomyal wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Rudy, TriBar is the name I could not remember.  I ordered a set of those before I got the Cibies.  They were too deep.  They would not fit in the '65 headlight bucket and allow you to attach the stainless ring.  Even if I had butchered my buckets, the connectors would have run into the cast healight housing.

Daniel Stern is where I got the Cibies. He seemed to be the only one dealing in them. They were not cheap like they were (relatively speaking) when I used them back in the seventies.  I suppose that is because there are no current vehicles that use that type of headlight.  But as they were back in the 70's, they remain to be the best sealed beam replacement.  Hellas may be decent lights but they have a very flattish lense and do not look good.

Besides that, the TriBars did not have an original sealed beam appearance whereas, except for some engineered fluting on the lens, at a glance you cannot tell the Cibies from standard sealed beams.

Yes the Tri-bars are deep but there is a 90 degree connector available for them so that they don't interfere with the back of the bucket and I got them because they are not stock appearance.
I like different, to a certain extent.

3/11/2014 9:00 PM  #22

he was looking for a pre-made kit.  So I provided the link.  They sell halogen upgrade kits for 66 mustangs on ebay too.   I didn't use ron morris kit.  I used JamesW instructions when i had my 66.  

boomyal wrote:

My harness makes more sense. You don't have to fiddle with the dimmer switch.  All the work is completed from the starter relay forward to each headlight.

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

3/12/2014 4:57 AM  #23

MarkinSC wrote:

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HR-58

Gaba wrote:

Mark I just installed the Ron Francis HR 56 Halogen light  relay kit recently...It's made for GM cars but I hard wired it to My 70 Mach 1 ...alot less wires...Works perfect one relay....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

3/17/2014 3:22 PM  #24

just bringing this question up again .. 

I am still toiling if I wanna make my own harness or not.. I mean 50 bucks.. lol .. its money .. relays are cheap I found some on amazon.. I didnt get the idea of why use the diode in that diagram ? 
I already have an order placed on 30 and 40 amp relays.. I was gonna have to do something for my tach anywaz.. I am putting a new fuse box directly powered from the battery to keep things safe now.. switching it with a relay.. 

I am seeing this relay thing is pretty easy. SO I can build it  .. 

BUT what headlights to buy people.. my options are listed in a post above. Those are my ranges.. I cant go higher than that.. So please help me pick

Thanks

3/17/2014 4:30 PM  #25

Gaba.........we have a guy on here Mr. Tim  who gave me a heckuva deal on a pair of halogen headlamps with the bulbs! Ask him what they were for(car/bike/tractor?) I'd like to know also because if the bulb ever burns out......I need to know the replacement number!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.