FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2013 3:57 PM  #1

What to wrap wiring harness with?

1967 Mustang. Under hood wiring harness. Is there something better to wrap a harness with other than electrical tape? Electrical tape does get messy after time. If electrical tape, which is best?

1984 SVO,1967 Mustang Coupe (Custom),1967 Mustang Coupe.1969  F250 Ford Ranger Camper Special,1997 Winston Cup T-Bird

4/21/2013 4:55 PM  #2

Re: What to wrap wiring harness with?

I used an oem wiring harness tape which is not electrical tape.   It looks like black electrical tape but is not sticky but sticks to itself.    I then used a small amount of electrical tape to keep the ends of the wraps in place.     But I'll be darned if I can remember where I got it.   Sorry.  Might have been Summit

4/21/2013 5:20 PM  #3

Or you can use split loom. comes in all sizes.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

4/21/2013 5:55 PM  #4

Go to RJM Injection Tech and buy a roll of his harness wrap.  It's what giz is talking about above.  Others have it but RJM has the best price.  If you can, you can pre position 1" sections of adhesieve lined heat shrink tubing (http://www.buyheatshrink.com/) and use that to hold down the ends of the wrap.  Looks great but it has to be slipped on before you install the connectors.  I like to crimp all the terminals, slip on all  the sections  of heat shrink, then apply the wrap or loom.  Then put on the connectors.  Butt (TS&T), don't use split loom if you can avoid it.  The stuff just plain looks crappy.  Go to Terminal Suppy Co and buy a supply of self-wrapping, woven poly loom.    You can secure the ends with electrical tape if you can't pre position heat shrink.  You'll love that stuff.

Good luck,

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2013 6:48 PM  #5

Bullet Bob wrote:

Go to Terminal Suppy Co and buy a supply of self-wrapping, woven poly loom.    You can secure the ends with electrical tape if you can't pre position heat shrink.  You'll love that stuff.

Good luck,

BB

BB is so very right about that woven poly loom stuff. Most of the newer PC's are using it, a much cleaner look than than the split tubing. Too bad thesplit tubing is bout the only cover you can retro fit to an existing harness.

Corky

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/21/2013 7:27 PM  #6

Tubo wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

Go to Terminal Suppy Co and buy a supply of self-wrapping, woven poly loom.    You can secure the ends with electrical tape if you can't pre position heat shrink.  You'll love that stuff.

Good luck,

BB

BB is so very right about that woven poly loom stuff. Most of the newer PC's are using it, a much cleaner look than than the split tubing. Too bad thesplit tubing is bout the only cover you can retro fit to an existing harness.

Corky

Not true Oh great Corkster....

The stuff I get from Terminal Supply is split, sort of.  I'll try to 'splain.  Form a "tube" with your hand and then close it into a fist.  That's how this stuff works.  I can be somewhat of  a fight at times to get it over the harness but once it's there it closes right around the bundle and stays in place.  I like  to heat the raw end to keep it from fraying, then hold it down with a wrap of tape or, better still, a 1" section of heat shrink tube.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2013 7:48 PM  #7

4/21/2013 9:22 PM  #8

That's the stuff, James.

BB

4/22/2013 11:59 AM  #9

I like the wire wrap, like the stuff RJM sells w/shrink tube, as the least bulky, neatest looking finished product solution. Just gotta make sure everything is okey-doke and done before wrappin' & shrinkin'.

(Pinto!)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.