FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2014 6:26 PM  #1

Charging problems on 66

Troops:
Got a charging problem on a 66 gt. Until recently, charging system working as expected. Showing 12.5V with engine off and 14.2V when running at about 1000 rpm. Guage showing moderate movement to the right after startup and settle back to center in a minute or two. All is well.
Now I've got no movement of guage after startup. It will move a little to the left if you turn the lights on. Voltage at battery is 12.1V with engine off and 11.98 at 1000rpm. Thought it might be the regualtor. Put a new one on. No change. Ok, then it's got to be the alternator. Put a new one on. No change.Appears to be just running off the battery (1yr. old Optima). Figuring it won't run long off of it, though...
Anybody got any thoughts, I'm fresh out.

Thanks in advance

3/21/2014 6:44 PM  #2

Re: Charging problems on 66

Well electrical is definitely not my strong suit. That being said, ah quick way I know how to tell if ah car is charging is to pull the positive battery cable off  (WITH THE CAR RUNNING). If the car shuts off then it's not charging and running off the battery, If it continues to run then of course it's charging. Thats were my electrical knowlege ends.

Last edited by Derek (3/21/2014 6:47 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

3/21/2014 7:00 PM  #3

I had a similar problem and after lots of time and cost I discovered the wire from the battery to the voltage regulator was bad.  Changed out the harness and all is well.  Check your wiring diagram to find that wire and try a continuity check on it.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/21/2014 7:05 PM  #4

the old alternator needed a resister to get the charging started on my 65 with ALT light the bulb served that purpose you might have a resistor that back and not letting the alternator to start charging

3/21/2014 8:57 PM  #5

Check for 12V at alternator (large 10 gauge wire) unplug regulator, feed field post on alternator with 12V, should be small spark. That will force alternator to put out maximum amperage and voltage. If Alt. then charges, check wiring from alt to regulator.

3/22/2014 10:25 AM  #6

Have you had the friendly folks at O'Reilly's load test the old battery? 

3/25/2014 5:13 PM  #7

Troops:
I'm thinking the problem is solved. After running continuity checks on every wire throughout the charging system, I finally went back and replaced the parts store regulator with a Motorcraft replacement from Dallas Mustang. Problem solved. I guess it shows to go ya that you get what you pay for...
Thanks to all that responded.

3/25/2014 5:47 PM  #8

Or maybe you jiggled those regulator wires "just so" and THAT got it working again ?  Regulator plugs are notorious for the wires getting real brittle where they enter the connector.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/25/2014 6:00 PM  #9

Good, glad you got it going!
Howard

3/26/2014 9:52 PM  #10

Steve;
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking that maybe it really was the regulator. I had already run continuity checks on all the wires and removed/inspected the wires and connectors from the plug before changing the reg out. The harness was replaced about 5000 miles back. I guess I HOPE it was the regualtor. Don't want to play this game again anytime soon.
66gt

3/28/2014 6:22 AM  #11

66gt wrote:

I HOPE it was the regualtor. Don't want to play this game again anytime soon.
66gt

Why not take the regulator you replaced over to your local auto parts store and have them test it?  Then you will know.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

7/21/2014 11:15 AM  #12

Ive installed a 3G alternator in my 66 ACode. Im running without the prescribed MEGAFUSE. It works perfectly. Now the wiring and alternator were robbed off a Windstar. Don't the wires incorporate fusible links making Megafuse redundant? Also my Stock '66 F-250 is ready for an Alternator upgrade. I have a brand new 2g and good clean harness. With no heavy loads to be put on the charging system there shouldnt be a melted wire issue that came with the 2g system on the 80's trucks, right?

7/21/2014 12:59 PM  #13

You need to be careful putting high output alternators in vintage vehicles w/o proper fuse/circhuit breaker protection.  It is not necessarly the system current load, but if you get a short circuit and the alternator will keep feeding the short that could result in melted wiring, damaged components and possible fire.
Modern cars have a much more protected system for that very reason.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/22/2014 11:23 AM  #14

BobE wrote:

You need to be careful putting high output alternators in vintage vehicles w/o proper fuse/circhuit breaker protection.  It is not necessarly the system current load, but if you get a short circuit and the alternator will keep feeding the short that could result in melted wiring, damaged components and possible fire.
Modern cars have a much more protected system for that very reason.

Should I use the Megafuse 175amp Fuse?

7/22/2014 11:56 AM  #15

That mega fuse on the alternator doesn't due a whole lot good when you have a battery connected to the same place capable of putting out 600 + amps. The battery will keep melting wires even after the car is turned off. If I was to use 1 fuse a 40 or 50 amp off the solenoid to the main power feed. This should handle what a normal mustang needs.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/22/2014 1:21 PM  #16

Agree w/ wsinsle, 40-50 amp fuse should be adequate .. unless you've installed many new high power electrical components.  The issue isn't not to exceed the output of the alternator, but rather not to exceed the current carrying capability of the circuit you are protecting.
Modern vehicles have a 'power' distribution block that feeds a "circuit" distribution block in the same vein as a house has a main circuit breaker, and individual branch circuits.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/22/2014 5:50 PM  #17

I installed a 135 amp Gen3 alternator from a 93 Taurus, a 125 amp Mega Fuse and ALL power users are fused. I also replaced the battery and ground cables with 4 gauge welding cables. AC, MSD ignition, two electric fuel pumps for FI, sound system with subwoofer, power windows, power door locks, GPS, dash cam, backup cam, halogen headlights, power outlets for iPod and laptop. The stock 35 amp alternator wasn't cutting it. Anyone need one?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.