FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2014 10:48 AM  #1

Anyone add padding to trunk inside rear quarter panels?

to prevent "Stuff" slinging back and forth and denting quater panels from iside that would show up on the outside. Just trying to think ahead...car is going to my son and I have no doubt he'll throw bats/basballs what ever in the trunk and that stuff will go where gravity takes it. Just trying to do a little preventive dent maint. Thanks

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

3/25/2014 10:54 AM  #2

Re: Anyone add padding to trunk inside rear quarter panels?

Trunk carpet material glued or Velcro'd over Dynamat.

Last edited by Rudi (3/25/2014 10:54 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/25/2014 1:50 PM  #3

I found this video + link to this kit that I thought lookd pretty decent     http://www.distinctiveindustries.com/catalog/trunk-carpet-kit/1965-66-mustang-pony-coupe-trunk-carpet-kit/27-30

Last edited by Derek (3/25/2014 1:51 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

3/25/2014 3:24 PM  #4

That does look pretty nice!

3/25/2014 4:41 PM  #5

mainiac1 wrote:

That does look pretty nice!

Yeah just don't try and order it from CJ Phony. It looks like it wound pretty much protect the whole trunk even the tail light panel from dings

Last edited by Derek (3/25/2014 4:42 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

3/25/2014 5:50 PM  #6

Did you mean CENTRIFUGAL FORCE instead of GRAVITY?  LOL..  I like the idea of some vertical side boards covered with some good looking stuff.  Just don't put ANYTHING in there than can hold water.  I bought a 65 once that the guy had put 1/2" carpet pad under the trunk mat.  The top of the gas tank was all rusty with holes in it from it holding water that leaked in somehow.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/25/2014 7:41 PM  #7

yeah, what Steve said ...not gravity
I kinda like those caviies on the sides for storage, but probly easy to create dents in those 1/4 panels from putting stuff in there. I do like the cardboard flapper design though.

Last edited by mainiac1 (3/25/2014 7:44 PM)

3/26/2014 1:08 AM  #8

I'm going to use some plywood to box in my trunk and then use carpet on top of it

3/26/2014 9:39 AM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

Did you mean CENTRIFUGAL FORCE instead of GRAVITY?  LOL..  I like the idea of some vertical side boards covered with some good looking stuff.  Just don't put ANYTHING in there than can hold water.  I bought a 65 once that the guy had put 1/2" carpet pad under the trunk mat.  The top of the gas tank was all rusty with holes in it from it holding water that leaked in somehow.

Use "Plasidip"  spray on top of the gass tank to keep accidental spills at bay.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/26/2014 10:18 AM  #10

True74yamaha wrote:

I'm going to use some plywood to box in my trunk and then use carpet on top of it

I used luan paneling. That's the stuff that interior house doors are made of. Got it at the Depot. EZ'r to work with and half the $$
Covered the panels with blk auto style hook&loop carpeting. I did spray it down good with ScotchGard to make it water and stain resistant.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.