FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2014 5:51 PM  #1

Adjusting Lifters Problems!

So I finally got to work on the car today and I was going to set the lifters and install the intake and such.  It's a 66 289 with a hydraulic flat tappet lifters and stud mount roller rockers.  I had the motor apart because it was overheating and I found a blown head gasket.  When I opened the motor it looked like it was fresh out of the hot tank leading me to believe it doesn't have very many miles on it, confirming what I was told by the previous owner.  So I start the procedure as I read about on here and I noticed that when I got to my exhaust valve on cylinder #1 that a soon as I went to give the extra 3/4 turn after zero lash the exhaust valve started to open up.  I have about 6 other lifters that are doing the same thing and I know it's at TDC on compression.  Do I have bad lifters? Any suggestions?  It would tick pretty good before when it got hot.

3/29/2014 8:06 PM  #2

Re: Adjusting Lifters Problems!

Matt, after you adjust valve to zero lash are you turning the crankshaft 3/4 turn?
The 3/4 turn is to turn rocker arm stud nut 3/4 more turns. That is to position valve lifter in the center of its adjustment range, then adjust the other valve on that cylinder the same way...
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (3/29/2014 8:07 PM)

3/29/2014 8:29 PM  #3

First I would try to find out if you have some type of performance lifter like anti-pump up or Rhodes lifters and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.  Rhodes or other variable duration lifters normally have a ticking sound like solid lifters.  I suspect you have some kind of performance lifters since you have roller rockers.  In any case, I would make sure that you really start from zero lash.  I think the method of spinning the pushrod until it stops is too uncertain a method for determining zero lash.  I suggest you try it again, but this time back off the nut until you know there is clearance - you can pull up on the pushrod end of the rocker and the pushrod obviously has slop.  Then tighten down the nut until the pushrod slop is just taken up - pull up on the pushrod end of the rocker and see if you can click the pushrod up against its seat.  Remember that the spring in the lifter is pretty light so you have to use a light touch here, and you are not moving the pushrod up and down - just up.  When all slop is take out (again while pulling up on the pushrod end of the rocker) you will be at zero lash.  Then tighten it down the additional amount. 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

3/29/2014 10:36 PM  #4

hmartin025 wrote:

Matt, after you adjust valve to zero lash are you turning the crankshaft 3/4 turn?
The 3/4 turn is to turn rocker arm stud nut 3/4 more turns. That is to position valve lifter in the center of its adjustment range, then adjust the other valve on that cylinder the same way...
Howard

Thanks, but I am tightening the stud nut with the extra 3/4 of a turn

3/29/2014 10:43 PM  #5

jkordzi wrote:

First I would try to find out if you have some type of performance lifter like anti-pump up or Rhodes lifters and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.  Rhodes or other variable duration lifters normally have a ticking sound like solid lifters.  I suspect you have some kind of performance lifters since you have roller rockers.  In any case, I would make sure that you really start from zero lash.  I think the method of spinning the pushrod until it stops is too uncertain a method for determining zero lash.  I suggest you try it again, but this time back off the nut until you know there is clearance - you can pull up on the pushrod end of the rocker and the pushrod obviously has slop.  Then tighten down the nut until the pushrod slop is just taken up - pull up on the pushrod end of the rocker and see if you can click the pushrod up against its seat.  Remember that the spring in the lifter is pretty light so you have to use a light touch here, and you are not moving the pushrod up and down - just up.  When all slop is take out (again while pulling up on the pushrod end of the rocker) you will be at zero lash.  Then tighten it down the additional amount. 

This is the exact method i was using.  I removed one of the lifters that didn't seem to want to work for me and put it on my work bench.  I the took the push rod and tried to get the piston to move in it and it won't budge with all of my weight on it.  Then i tried with one of the other problem ones with the same result.  The ones that seem to adjust properly will compess when I push on the rocker arm.  I thinking I must have some bad lifters.  I believe from the reciepts I have with the car they are just regular Comp Cams lifters.

3/29/2014 11:20 PM  #6

If they are hydraulic lifters and pumped up (full of oil) the valve will slightly open when you adjust. When the engine runs lifters will adjusts. But each valve is individual, and one valve adjustment will not interfere with other valve adjustments. 

3/30/2014 3:15 AM  #7

Another thing that can trip you up is the timing marks on your damper.  If it's a stock type damper, the rubber around the weighted ring can slip, letting the ring move in relation to the crankshaft.  When that happens, the timing marks no longer line up where they are supposed to.

A simple way to check to see if it's really top dead center is to pull out a spark plug, and stick something in the hole.  Fingers don't work well for obvious reasons.  A small dowel works great, and won't scratch up your pistons.  

Make sure it's *really* at TDC before you start messing with your valve lash.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

3/30/2014 7:58 AM  #8

Mattstang wrote:

jkordzi wrote:

This is the exact method i was using.  I removed one of the lifters that didn't seem to want to work for me and put it on my work bench.  I the took the push rod and tried to get the piston to move in it and it won't budge with all of my weight on it.  Then i tried with one of the other problem ones with the same result.  The ones that seem to adjust properly will compess when I push on the rocker arm.  I thinking I must have some bad lifters.  I believe from the reciepts I have with the car they are just regular Comp Cams lifters.

As you note, you need to replace your lifters.  While you at it, since someone else has been modifying your valve train, I'd check to make sure you have the right pushrod length.  Have you figured out why you have a blown head gasket?  You might want to check that the heads aren't warped.  Also, if the heads aren't the original 289 heads, the coolant passages may not line up well with those in the block, which can lead to overheating, and a blown head gasket.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

3/30/2014 12:13 PM  #9

Heads warped because of it overheating in my driveway.  A combination of a bad rad, elecrtic fan and alternator dying.  I had the heads gone through and decked .005" to straigten them.  As  for the push rod they are the correct length.  I took apart one of the stuck lifters and it seems to beholding oil in the base of it.  Pushed down on the check ball at the bottom without the piston in it and released the pressure now it move like the others. 

Are the lifters supposed to be unprimed when doing this adjustment? Do you think I have some that are overpressurized from running to loose before?

3/30/2014 12:45 PM  #10

I had a set of Competition Cam lifters once that acted just like yours are doing, once when I had the rockers off when I reassembled it I bent about half of the push rods, I was going to VoTech at the time and my teacher had me take all of the lifters out and depress the plunger in the lifers by chucking a push rod in a drill press and pressing the oil out, I then reassembled it and it was fine. that was the only set of lifers I ever had act that way. 

I once tried a set of Rhoads lifters in my 302 and was thoroughly disappointed in them, they sounded like they had about .060 valve lash all the time, talked to a tech at Rhoads and he said sometimes with a certain lift cam and hi oil pressure they would do that, they refunded my money with no questions asked. 

The amount of fun is directly proportionate to the damage done.

3/30/2014 1:14 PM  #11

If your engine has ran and you are replacing the heads or headgasket, your lifters will be pumped up!
adjust as normal and lifters will adjust as needed. Cant see why pushrods would bend or have other issues. Even if lifters are pumped up they will miss the pistons as they wont open more than 1/8 inch or so in the closed position. Never had problems with lifters adjusting after running for a minute or so. Now if cam timing is off then yes you may have problems!!!
Howard

3/30/2014 6:49 PM  #12

Matt......I always visualize what's going on with the cam ...lobes...lifter. First valve........(with all plugs OUT!) turn the balancer witha long ratchet.  Watch until the first valve/rocker/pushrod  goes down....even when you turn it a little more,it don't move. THEN you are on the heel of the lobe(that's the lowest point...where you want to adjust your lash. Twist that pushrod until you feel it just starts to stop spin...THAT MY FRIEND is zero lash! Turn that adjustment on the rocker stud 1/2...3/4 turn. Then roll the crank until the next valeve does the same thing.
By feeling the turning pushrod you are insuring that you have ALL the slack out of the rocker/pushrod and you are totally on the bottom of the lobe and there is no loosness between the pushrod and the lifter.
 IF the lifter is pumped up............you gotta get the oil out so it will compress the 1/2...3/4 turn.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/30/2014 6:49 PM  #13

Mat, I'm no expert by any means but I'm thinking your problem could be a combination of performance lifters and decking the heads and now the push rods are to long. I know this happens when decking heads I just don't know if what you took off the heads would be enough. When I put the Edelbrock lifters in my 289 the first time I adjusted the valves I followed the normal procedure of removing lash then tightening 3/4 turn. It ran terrible so I backed them off 3/4 and it ran perfect.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

3/31/2014 7:33 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

Matt......I always visualize what's going on with the cam ...lobes...lifter. First valve........(with all plugs OUT!) turn the balancer witha long ratchet.  Watch until the first valve/rocker/pushrod  goes down....even when you turn it a little more,it don't move. THEN you are on the heel of the lobe(that's the lowest point...where you want to adjust your lash. Twist that pushrod until you feel it just starts to stop spin...THAT MY FRIEND is zero lash! Turn that adjustment on the rocker stud 1/2...3/4 turn. Then roll the crank until the next valeve does the same thing.
By feeling the turning pushrod you are insuring that you have ALL the slack out of the rocker/pushrod and you are totally on the bottom of the lobe and there is no loosness between the pushrod and the lifter.
 IF the lifter is pumped up............you gotta get the oil out so it will compress the 1/2...3/4 turn.
6sal6

That is the exact procedure I'm using.  I've come to conclusion that some of the lifters are pumped up.  Those are the ones I'm having problems with the others have been adjusting fine.  To be on the safe side I think i'm just going to buy a new set of lifters and go through the breaking in process again for a piece of mind.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.