FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2014 5:18 PM  #1

Cable Clutch Installation Problem

When I mocked up my brake booster and the aluminum block that houses the cable clutch a couple of years ago, I thought I had it figured out.  Everything fit nicely.  Today I go to put the cable clutch in the car and I have major interference with the plastic retainer and the adjustment wheel against the booster.  Am I supposed to remove material from the top of the aluminum block?  I have already done some of this to clearance between the bottom of the block and the booster.  Any suggestions?

Last edited by Kristang (3/30/2014 5:18 PM)

3/30/2014 6:30 PM  #2

Re: Cable Clutch Installation Problem

Well whatta ya know; here's one I can help with.  Mine was just finished last week.  The bottom of the round plastic has to be ground off to fit over the booster.  I just had mine done by Ramses who is a protegy of Mustang Steve.  It looks good and works good.  I had to get the longer cable which Steve has offered for several years.  I can send you pictures if necessary.  The longer cable was necessary because of headers and routed nicely in front of the oil filter.  Clutch is awesome!

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

3/30/2014 6:32 PM  #3

Kristang wrote:

When I mocked up my brake booster and the aluminum block that houses the cable clutch a couple of years ago, I thought I had it figured out.  Everything fit nicely.  Today I go to put the cable clutch in the car and I have major interference with the plastic retainer and the adjustment wheel against the booster.  Am I supposed to remove material from the top of the aluminum block?  I have already done some of this to clearance between the bottom of the block and the booster.  Any suggestions?

This is how mine turned out. No trimming required.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

3/30/2014 6:32 PM  #4

Definitely not.  You cannot move the block/cable hole upward or the cable will be right on the cowl floor.  It is a big balancing act and everything has to fit exactly as designed. 
Loosen the booster studs and push the booster downward just a little.  The adjusting wheel will likely touch or just barely clear the booster.  There just isn't room in the whole system to move anything downward more than that or the brake light switch will not be able to clear the steering column.  You still will likely have to dent the column tube depending on which booster you have.
You will remove the black rubber piece from the cable before installing it into the billet block.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/30/2014 8:13 PM  #5

Here is my dilemma in color!  There is no clearance between the adjuster wheel and the booster-none!  The booster I am using is the one Mustang Steve recommended, which fits an airport maintenance vehicle.  I cannot move the booster down-as Steve stated, that will cause problems.

3/30/2014 8:41 PM  #6

Loosen the booster studs and push the booster downward just a little.

Worst case you may have to loosen the two bolts if you ever need to adjust the cable, then retighten after adjustment is made.

Do you have the two vertical bolts into the billet block yet?  They will pull the block upwards a small amount.  I have seen these installed with some clearance and some where it is touching the booster.  The clutch will work either way.  If there was some way to have given it more room, I sure would have move it, but there is just not enough real estate there to move something one direction without affecting something else.

The booster is originally a Ford Fox platform design that was used on alot of vehicles.

4/01/2014 8:25 AM  #7

Problem solved.   When I built my reinforcement plate for the firewall, I made the holes so precise to the studs and the hole for the boot that it had no room to move.  I got in there with my die grinder and matched the center(boot) hole to the original hole and now I have no clearance issues with the adjusting wheel.  SHEESH!

Last edited by Kristang (4/01/2014 8:26 AM)

4/01/2014 8:37 PM  #8

Yeah, well...  That's why that instruction manual and CAD drawing with those big holes are drawn the way they are.

People cannot appreciate the amount of time it takes to develop something like that, with all the trial and error, remove and refit, compromise this and that, etc to get something that will work.

But everyone has a better way to do it because they do not know about all the pitfalls of doing things differently.  I am definitley not trying to say that my designs have no room for improvement, but they will work without costing you a bunch of money.  IF... well you know the rest...

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.