FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2014 9:27 PM  #1

apron bolt holes for fenders

Our 66 coupe had a lot of new sheet metal welded on the front when we bought it. New cowl, firewall and aprons at the firewall. The aprons at the firewall have no fender bolt cutouts. I understand this is common with repro aprons.

These are otherwise nice and they are already welded in so I just can't swap them out.

So, I'd like to ask some kind person to take a picture of an apron and draw some dimensions on it (or make  a drawing) so we can cut out the cut outs :-)

Your help is appreciated. 

Thanks, Bob

4/01/2014 6:08 AM  #2

Re: apron bolt holes for fenders

Can you put your fenders in place, mark the bolt holes with a sharpie, and make a template from a hole farther forward and transfer the shape over the traced bolt holes?
Seems like less chance for error....

4/01/2014 6:29 AM  #3

Thanks Darren - the cutouts are not round bolt holes, they are rectangles that hold a clip nut and allow for you to adjust the position of the fender for alignment. I'd like to reproduce that.

Bob

4/01/2014 9:41 AM  #4

Ummm, I know what they are.
Are you telling me you can't trace one out from the forward inner fender apron, or do you have none to work from?

4/01/2014 9:51 AM  #5

I have none to work from. Both repro aprons were already welded on the car when we bought it, so nothing to compare side to side, and no old ones to compare to. There are no holes, it's just blank metal. I could line up fender holes I suppose, and try and extrapolate a rectangle to cut out, but I'd rather just cut them as they were original if I could get some measurements. 

Bob

Last edited by rbtconsultants (4/01/2014 9:53 AM)

4/01/2014 9:53 AM  #6

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a set of pictures I just took from front to back with a tape measure overlayed.  A lot depends on where you start your measurements but take a look at the pics.  I can take more if you need them.

4/01/2014 10:52 AM  #7

If you are wanting to cut holes and make it close a template is the way to go.  If you are wanting to reproduce factory accurate as much as possible,  I suggest using actual inner fender pieces that are already stamped.   Meaning either buy some reproduction ones with the stampings already done, or find someone who has replaced their inners and get them to cut it up for the pattern.    You are going to need a die grinder and such to accurately reproduce those holes.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/01/2014 10:59 AM  #8

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of just boring oversized holes in the aprons to allow for adjustment and using nuts and washers on the bottom?  Other than not being original, of course!  My car had a number of shims between the aprons and fenders - is this a normal method of adjustment to match the hood or did the OBTPO (owner before the previous owner) install them to make up for other problems?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.