FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2014 3:13 PM  #1

newbie with 65 mustang convertible, what have I DONE?

Good afternoon,

My name is Devon, I have always wanted a convertible Mustang, and this weekend I made the jump. I found it on craigs list here outside of Portland OR. it was initially advertised as a 64 1/2, after a VIn/ door tag search, it ends up being built in Feb 65.it has a 289 4V motor in it, with an Auto trans. Either way, it is a Northern CA. car, one owner before the previous owner I jut purchased it from, his grandfather passed away and his grandmother gifted it to him.
  I found the rain with valve covers off, and one head off, there is some rust on the tops of the pistons, and on the walls of the cylinder which I hope I can hohne off. I was able to pull all of the interior revealing just some superficial rust, and inspected it underneath and everything I could see seems to be in good shape, no rusted out trunk, shackles, torque boxes or anything major.
 So here I am just wondering where I go from here, and what have I got myself into! hahah
 I have recieved pretty sound advise from folks and from reading through forums,I plan on having a rolling restore, pull the motor see if I can salvage the motor. then go from there. Its is a numbers matching car (door tag, vin on front left fender, but have yet to check the motor for cast #) from what I gather and PO told me. it has 37,000 miles.
 Just wanted to say hello, and seek out advise from others that have taken a similar journey,look forward to the journey, and I plan on doing as much as humanly possible by myself in this restore!

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/01/2014 3:26 PM  #2

Re: newbie with 65 mustang convertible, what have I DONE?

Hey D!  I've only done this twice, one minimally and one as aggressively as you can get without putting a body on some other frame.  What you do depends on where you've going with it.  And having done only two of these, I'm not the guy to answer your questions anyway.  I just wanted to say hey, and encourage you to hang in there if, (when) it gets frustrating.  Remember, if you're gonna make it go, you have to plan on making it stop as well.  Be safe and have fun!  The folks here are amazingly willing and able to help.

L

4/01/2014 3:38 PM  #3

Welcome to the forum, you are in good company. 

If the body is indeed as rust free as you say, you have dodged the hardest, longest lasting work: the rust repair.  Check out the engine and get it running together and decide what you want the car to be.  We have proved that there is no limit on what you can do to these old cars.  Power windows, remote entry/ electric doorlocks, alarm system, keyless ignition, 5 or 6 speed manuals, electronic overdrive automatics, super sound systems. As much horsepower as you are willing to pay for. Late model four wheel disc brakes. Power steering, power brakes, the list goes on.  Welcome and enjoy!

4/01/2014 3:49 PM  #4

Thanks Lance, it should be an adventure either way. I plan on doing a full restore, just doing it in pieces, I have heard stories of people doing a complete tear down, and then the car sitting in the garage for years never getting muchof anywhere, so I think I will try and avoid that.

Well let me see about posting some pictures, because I know without them, it never really happened! haaah! Mind you, they are from a cell phone,and taken when/where I found the car, so they might be mediocre at best but you can get the jist.

4/01/2014 4:50 PM  #5

With a solid body the sky is the limit as to what you want to do with it. If molesting a numbers matching car is a concern remember that most of the improvements we make to these cars can be reversed. Just save the old parts.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/01/2014 5:30 PM  #6

Welcome to the forum.
Cool car... It even has a sunroof!

As for the engine.  You are wise to consider pulling it out and going through it.  With the rust and rain water sitting in the cylinders, I am betting you will at the very least be boring it out or (even better) going for a later model roller cam block.  Problem is, your early 65 might have a five bolt bellhousing pattern rather than the later 65 to current six bolt setup.  So, if you have a five bolt and need a six bolt, that begs for an overdrive transmission to go in.  A $500 Fox 5.0 and trans from Craigslist might be the easiest way.

This is known as the WYAIT Monster.  While You Are In There, you might as well do this, that, everything, and so on.  As you surmised, a car can sit for many years without getting driven when that happens.  Make a plan for what you want the car to be and stick to it as much as possible so you only spend money once.  Most of us hardly ever wind up sticking to that plan 100%, but at least you have something to work towards.

Looks like you have the following to do before that thing sees any road use:
  Rebuilt or different Engine  (consider a full swap from a Fox 5.0 Mustang...cheap and easy
  Rebuilt or different transmission
  New gas tank and sender/pickup
  Rebuild the brake system 100% (don't waste money on drums, discs are an easy swap)
  PROBABLY replace a bunch of front end suspension/steering parts
  New radiator
  New tires 

The rest is just cosmetics.  If that is a rust free body, that is 90% of the battle.  Everything else just bolts on.

OK, now you have until September to get it ready to drive to the MustangSteve BASH in Illinois.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/01/2014 6:05 PM  #7

Yeah I liked the sunroof option also, it was a deal sealer!

I did find a new possible temporary motor for the car, its a 289 2v with a C-4 out of a ford Falcon, which actually has a floor shift, so I imagine it had been a aftermarket addition, because I see all the ford falcons are column shift? he is asking 400, but I am sure I can get it down, I would think this would bolt right in, maybe the drive line would dee modification?
 What you say about the Fox Engine is interesting, I would love a manual transmission, but all the motors I am seeing in the "Fox" are 6599.00 i guess that new rebuilt and crated,  or waaay more than 500.00? I guess I need to look a little harder.
 As for the front end, and mechanic friend of mine says that you can drop the whole thing in one peice, and put in all new components up front (disc brakes, arms, suspension all that fun stuff) but I am yet to find anything like this online? any truth to this?
 So yeah, still in the "feeling it out" phase, taking in all information, filtering out what I like, and trying to come up with a game plan. I had initially thought about restoring it to stock and back to its original form, but what fun is that?

4/01/2014 7:35 PM  #8

Four speed Falcons did come with floor shift.  BEware of buying a five bolt block, though.  You want to stay away from those.  Craigslist has another used 5.0 Fox Mustang engine nearly every day around here in the $500 range.  I have seen several for $1,000 with a five speed tranny.  You can stick your carb and old parts on it and bolt it in.  A little more to it than that, but that is the quick short story.  Just run anything past us before you dive in.  If you are not familiar with Mustangs, you can get way off course real easy.

Rebuilding the front end is a one day job,a nd disc brakes should be a no brainer.  If you think you might go with some later 17" wheels, you can put disc brakes from a brand new Mustang GT on it for about $450.
A front end rebuild consists of, upper a-frame bushings, upper/lower ball joints, strut rod and sway bar bushings, idler arm, center link and tie rods.  BUT... if you think you might want a rack & pinion, some of that stuff might not be required.  You must figure the budget price you have to deal with and the ultimate goal for the car.  You might want to add up all the stuff required and then go buy a completed running car to save money in the long run and be able to enjoy it sooner.

4/01/2014 7:45 PM  #9

Congrats on the purchase of a classic!  What color is that?  Looks kinda like Twilight Turquoise.  That is the color of my Fastback.  Good luck with getting it back on the road!

4/01/2014 8:10 PM  #10

Info we need to know to help you..... Can you weld?....Are you a decent "shade-tree mechanic"?..If not....are you friends with one?!..........Do you have plenty of money? (Nothing like..."cutting-to-the-chase"!!)
Welcome to the forum BTW!! 
As you will find out we have some real pros on here that know Mustangs inside-and-out.
DON'T hesitate to ask a question.....no matter how stupid it is.....because it ain't!
Besides.....I have probably already assed it.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/01/2014 10:31 PM  #11

So I had given thought to the budget thing, I am not Trump so it is not endless, however I think spreading it out over a time frame makes it more palatable. I would obviousley like to have it running soon for some instant gratification. I like the idea of making smart upgrades like brakes to disk, maybe a steering, suspension and all those things that increase handling and ride make sense.

Why do you suggest staying away from the older 5 bolt, just old technology? I can appreciate that, and it makes sense to move towards better technology so I guess there is go one way, restore original, or go the other way and make vast improvements.

As far as capabilitiy, I am pretty mechanically inclined, have done some welding in the past and perfecting those skills is just a matter of doing. I do also have a lot of friends who are very skilled ,echanics. Coupled with the vast amount of resources/information available at your fingertips these, I am confident I can accomplish whatever route I decide to go with this project. It might take me 10 years to fully complete it hahahahahah, but I can make it happen.

So in a nuthell, let's do this thing!

4/02/2014 5:30 AM  #12

devovino wrote:

Why do you suggest staying away from the older 5 bolt, just old technology? I can appreciate that, and it makes sense to move towards better technology so I guess there is go one way, restore original, or go the other way and make vast improvements.

The problem lies in finding a bell housing/tranny to fit the old block. Just about everything you'd want out there is the six bolt design.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

4/02/2014 1:27 PM  #13

So, I am curious to knowmore about the drum to disc conversion. I was reading that I could also take the disk brake system of a Lincoln? Is this the same brakes used on a Mustang GT as Steve talks about, if so I am sure I could take them from a pull a part wrecking yard, or find them used pretty easy. I am wondering what else I would need to do a complete braking system.  I would think I would need a few more items.. Thanks

4/02/2014 3:10 PM  #14

Back in the 70's and 80's it was popular to take the rear end out of a Lincoln Versaille and stick it in a Mustang to get rear discs.  That proves to add a whole bunch of very heavy unsprung weight and some discs that do not work very well with an emergency brake that almost doesn't work at all.

With the new modern cars out now that all have disc brakes, I and others have designed brakets to just bolt them onto the rear or front spindles.  Then you can get the brakes real cheap, even brand new take-off fronts for $150 shipped, and just bolt them on.  No more changing rear ends.  Just add the brackets.  Also have master cylinders and proportioning valves and power brake conversions to modernize the cars.  Go read my web site...  And don't skip that little block labeled FAQ.  It opens up to a whole 'nother set of pages.

That "new technology" roller cam block we all love so much is over 20 years old now, but is still good stuff.  Whatever you do, just ask the folks here who have done most of it before BEFORE you plunk down money for new stuff.  There are tons of Chinese crap that is disguised as reproduction parts.  Some is OK and some not.

It sounds like you already know your way around a car and wrenches.  Now you just have to learn your way around THAT car.  Same boat I would be in if I decided to restore the 65 Cutlass I had in high school...

4/02/2014 3:25 PM  #15

I bought Mustang Steve's brackets for the 2012 Mustang 13.2 front discs and got the takeoff calipers/pads and rotors from Roush on ebay. All I can say is the whole steup is sweet. 

Bob

4/03/2014 7:03 AM  #16

Just a few opinions I have on the subject. The 5 bolt verse 6 bolt they speak of is the bell housing to block. The 5 bolt block was built for a couple years the 6 bolt was made from mid-60’s to mid-90’s. If you ever want to upgrade transmissions, such as T-5 or automatic with overdrive the easiest way is with a modern 6 bolt bell. You will need the block to match. Keep in mind if you upgrade the block now, you will also need to upgrade the bell and tranny.
     Even if you have a 6 bolt block now would be a good time to upgrade to a good used roller 302. If you find a good used motor you can probably get the car running sooner. Rebuilding that 289 there are some things to consider. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong) A non-roller engine will need zinc additive to the oil with each oil change. Also old engines were not made to run on unleaded gas, valve work may be required. And last, the way that engine sat in the rain a good use engine may be a cheaper option.
    The next upgrade would be the brakes. I have Steve’s Cobra front disc brakes and feel this is a very good quality setup. If you upgrade to disc you’ll need to change the master cylinder and most disc brake setups require larger wheels. These are just a few of my thoughts, good luck with it and have fun.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/04/2014 6:10 PM  #17

Hi Devon -  welcome to the forum. Do you live in the Portland area? One of our knowledgeable posters here lives in Metzger and he could be a real good resource for you - Howard Martin (hmartin on the board). (I was born in Portland and lived there in Metzger myself for a while, but I live just north of Seattle now). You have quite a project ahead, but you sound like you've got a handle on it and have the knowledge and resources to do the job. Let us know here how it goes and if we can help.
If you need a real Mustang fix, think about attending our Roundup in Seattle in July put on by Mustangs Northwest - www.mustangsnorthwest.com

Best of luck on your project.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/08/2014 12:02 AM  #18

Well, just got back from our California vacation, and was able to get out in the garage and pull the other head.... I am going to say the motor is due for replacing. I dont see it being cost effective or sensible to rebuild this motor, and I have had some time to think it over on vacation. I am leaning towards doing some upgrades, a motor is a smart place to start.
Ron68, I actually live in Bend Oregon, and it is always nice to have help local as a resource I am sure I will need it.
Also, upgrading a trnasmission to a 6 bolt makes sense, fr now and going forward.
Definetly plan on upgrading to disc brakes, and I allready have a set of new wheels that are 17"s. They dont fit on the front and they rub the knuckle, so I had planned on making the switch pretty quick
 As I mentioned earlier in a post, I did find a motor/tranny out of a ford falcon for a really good deal ( 300$ a good deal?) that is running and I had thought about just dropping it in temporarily, just to get up and running, any thoughts?
Wel thats it for now, going to try and finish pulling the motor tomorrow, should I pull the tranny at the same time to just bolt the running unit in, I know I am a ways form being road ready, but that could be one step closer?
thanks Devon

4/08/2014 9:38 PM  #19

Have you determined if the car is a "64 1/2" or a 65?  The engine letter in the VIN tells all, if it is an "A" or "C" it is a 65, if it is a "K" it could be either, if it is anything else (a "D" and I don't remember the other one) it is a 64 1/2 (64 1/2s also have a generator instead of an alternator).

On the transmission the 5 or 6 bolt refers to how many bolts attach it to the engine.  So of course the engine and tranny have to match.  The 64 1/2's had 5 bolts, everything from 1965 to the 1990s had 6 bolts (the 289, 302, and old 5.0 are dimensionally the same block).

I recommend you start putting together a budget, and then decide what kind of use you want the car for (cruise, daily driver, racing, show, concours, etc.).  Then come back and ask for ideas given those two decisions.

I own a 1965 convertible, they are a lot of fun.  Good luck to you.

John Harvey

Last edited by JSHarvey (4/08/2014 10:15 PM)

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

4/08/2014 11:44 PM  #20

I would look into getting your car soda blasted not sand blasted. You can leave on the chrome and glass. This way it will be a good base to paint on. You can then epoxy prime or some like to use a good quality primer filler. This way a huge part will be done body. Then once that's done I'd underneath get it sound by doing epoxy primer and then under coat it. That way the whole body is done. Then I'd do brakes suspension steering. Then motor trans drivetrain. Followed by interior and then paint and your top and chrome.. But most importantly enjoy doing the steps and the finish results

4/08/2014 11:45 PM  #21

Js are your from slc that car looks familular

4/09/2014 7:58 AM  #22

Just a bit South of SLC (Sandy).  Where are you located?

If the weather stays nice this weekend I may take it out for the first drive of Spring.

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

4/09/2014 10:05 AM  #23

Hey JS, yes I did figure it out and my car is a 65, A code built in Feb of 65.

True 74, I guess I had another idea as far as order of things, essentially inoreder of nescessity. My motor is not in the best shape, so I am pulling it out and possibly apart to rebuild in my own time to do it right, and make decisions on that as I go. I have found a replacement motor/trans I will put in temporarily while I build the original motor (provided it is the original motor, if not it is not worth it in my eyes). I have the interior gutted, I want to treat the floors for any superficial rust, and then reupholster the seats and lay carpet. Somewhere in there I will remove the old drums and install discs and sany needed suspension and steering components. In theory, I will be going and stopping.

I will then focus on the exterior, roof, any other cool odds and ends, I am sure the list is never ending and I can think of a myriad of things. But I would like to be driving this thing (safely) asap.!

4/09/2014 10:47 AM  #24

Just a note on orginality of engines, for an "A" code 1965 Mustang there literally is *no possible way* to prove the engine is the original engine.  There is no VIN stamped anywhere on the block at the factory, only K codes got that treatment.  All you can do is show the date codes are theoretically consistent with the scheduled manufacturering date.  That's it. 

Since the block is dimensionally the same as a 302 or 5.0 you can rebuild it just about anyway you want it (stroked, over bored, etc.)  If you want to upgrade to a roller block then you need to get a 5.0 block, otherwise as long as the cylinder walls are still thick enough to bore to the desired size you should be good to go if you want to reuse it.  Buying a finished engine would likely be lower cost unless you can do a lot of the machine or assembly work yourself.

Last edited by JSHarvey (4/09/2014 11:14 AM)

4/09/2014 2:46 PM  #25

Gotcha, so theroticially, I may never know if this is the original motor or not based even on casting codes.

Also, to have a "roller block" I would need a 5.0, could I not just just put new heads on a 289 with rollers and it would be so?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.