FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2014 4:11 PM  #1

Need some help with UCA bolts... Any ideas out there?

OK, now that I changed the front springs on my car, I had to remove some shims from the UCA pivot bolts.  I have global west upper control arms and they use a hardened 5/8", fine thread bolt.  The bolts are now HARD into my headers on the passenger side.  The obvious  first step was to dent the headers but even with a 4' long cheater pipe, those stainless headers were not going to budge.  I know the correct fix for this problem is to remove the UCA and shorten the bolts 1/2" and reassemble, and everything will be perfect.

I am trying to think of a way to cut the bolts without removing them, short of using a cutting torch that might damage surrounding parts.  Luckily I trimmed off the shock tower bulges last summer so there is a little room to work.  I can get a conventional hack saw on the front one, but I tried it and it just dulled the blade and did not make a mark on the bolt threads.

You guys are always very creative and amaze me with some of the stuff you come up with, so let's hear some ideas...  Remember there is a 427 stroker in there and it is very tight.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/03/2014 4:25 PM  #2

Re: Need some help with UCA bolts... Any ideas out there?

I'm thinking one of those little mini air saws but then it comes back to having a blade that will hold up to the harden steel.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/03/2014 4:36 PM  #3

How about a plasma cutter?  I've used them successfully a few times (not on UCA bolts) and you don't have to worry about the flame.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/03/2014 4:53 PM  #4

If you have room, install a thin jam nut or two on there first so that you can effectively re-cut the threads after cutting the bolts if you manage to cut them in place.  The jam nuts may also give you a cut-off dimension to work off of.  Would you be able to reach in with a chop/demo saw?  A bi-metal fine blade might work.  I think the b-metal blade may be tougher than a hack saw blade.  You could test the blade on a similar bolt first to see if it will make a dent in it - you may need several blades to make it throug both bolts.  The plasma cutter sounds interesting if you have access to one.  The only other option that will somewhat minimize the damage is a disk in a die grinder but not sure a straight or 90 degree head will reach.

4/03/2014 4:55 PM  #5

Do you have room for a Dremel with an angle attachment and a cut off wheel ? 

Cut to fit, Pound to shape, Paint to match

4/03/2014 5:36 PM  #6

Try carboloy coated hack saw blades.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/03/2014 5:39 PM  #7

No need for a jamb nut to recut threads. There is already a nut on there that will re-cut threads if the upper control arm is ever removed.

4/03/2014 5:42 PM  #8

Have you seen this tool-shaped object?
Might work.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-extended-reach-air-cutoff-tool-67996.html

4/03/2014 6:02 PM  #9

darren wrote:

No need for a jamb nut to recut threads. There is already a nut on there that will re-cut threads if the upper control arm is ever removed.

Wasn't clear if the nuts were on there currently - you're right - if the nuts are already on, they'll make it back off in the future.

4/03/2014 6:11 PM  #10

Well how about pulling the bolts out one at a time and put shorter bolts in?  No wait those bolts are probably welded in???

While we are on the subject of UCAs  MS what happened to your adjustable setup for the 65-66s??

4/03/2014 7:49 PM  #11

Dremel flexible attachment.   I have one if you need me to ship it to you to use.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/03/2014 8:12 PM  #12

Air chissel, Air Grinder or Air body cutting saw.

Steve69

4/03/2014 8:20 PM  #13

Whata bout a saw-zall? And plenty of blades....unless you get some carbide blades!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/03/2014 9:35 PM  #14

Couple ideas:

1. Trade headers with t......wackem with a ballpeen hammer (might lose a little ceramic and rust but, who cares)...clearance problem solved......

2. call Ramses............that boy can fix anything.............

4/03/2014 9:38 PM  #15

A sawzall with a really long blade frossed my mind, but the blade wipping around in there is not a good thought.  That TSO cutoff tool looks interesting but there is barely room for a hacksaw blade down there.

I like the plasma cutter idea. Maybe this is an excuse to go buy one I will likely never need again.

The idea to remove bolts one at a time sounds good, but the GW has a brace that requires the shsft to be rotated 90 degrees to get the bolts out. Bolt heads are factory welded also.

Might see if I can find some superduperwhizbang hacksaw blades. That or a plasma cutter looks easiest.  I guess I should just remove he uca and do it right.  It is just a real pain to get the nuts off and back on since there is very limited room to work.

4/03/2014 9:40 PM  #16

josh-kebob wrote:

Couple ideas:

1. Trade headers with t......wackem with a ballpeen hammer (might lose a little ceramic and rust but, who cares)...clearance problem solved......

2. call Ramses............that boy can fix anything.............

Maybe Ramses is the answer.  He can unbolt and redo it while I am building his engine.

4/03/2014 9:42 PM  #17

Jewelers saw with a diamond blade

[img]http://www.jlsmithco.com/Jewelers-Saw-Frame-image.jpg?resizeid=-2&resizeh=300&resizew=300'%20border='0'%20alt='233054.jpg'%20title='233054.jpg'%3E[/img]

4/03/2014 9:45 PM  #18

Can you leave the shims in place and make the adjustment at the lower control arm pivot point and the strut rods?  I know you have adjustable strut rods but can't remember if you have the camber plate kit installed.  Otherwise if it were me, I'd decide if I were ever going to need that additional thread and if not, then I'd take the UCAs out to cut them.

Last edited by jkordzi (4/03/2014 9:57 PM)

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/03/2014 9:53 PM  #19

MustangSteve wrote:

A sawzall with a really long blade frossed my mind, but the blade wipping around in there is not a good thought. That TSO cutoff tool looks interesting but there is barely room for a hacksaw blade down there.

I like the plasma cutter idea. Maybe this is an excuse to go buy one I will likely never need again.

The idea to remove bolts one at a time sounds good, but the GW has a brace that requires the shsft to be rotated 90 degrees to get the bolts out. Bolt heads are factory welded also.

Might see if I can find some superduperwhizbang hacksaw blades. That or a plasma cutter looks easiest. I guess I should just remove he uca and do it right. It is just a real pain to get the nuts off and back on since there is very limited room to work.

You can rent wire welders at Home Depot.  Maybe you can rent a plasma cutter too.  Or maybe at an equipment rental.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/03/2014 10:10 PM  #20

Regular hacksaw for the front bolts, this mini-hacksaw for the rears. Bimetal blade, real cutting oil. Then hand file the ends of the bolts smooth.

4/04/2014 12:40 AM  #21

I did it with a sawzall and one of those gritty blades. Even with that it took a while. Those bolts are hard steel. I tried a couple different blades and toothed blades did very little.

Bob

4/04/2014 3:19 AM  #22

4/04/2014 5:46 AM  #23

MustangSteve wrote:

Maybe Ramses is the answer. He can unbolt and redo it while I am building his engine.

Boom problem solved.
You'll spend more time and aggravation trying to shadetree a fix that you are never happy with, than if you just bite the bullet and fix it right.Some times the hard way ends up being the easy way....DAMHIKT....

Besides, its a win-win for you and Ramses.

4/04/2014 6:23 AM  #24

I don't think a Plasma cutter will work. Those are pretty thick bolts, so you'd need a Heavy Duty Cyle Plasma cutter. I used to sell them and the small, sorta inexpensive ones would just make it thru sheet metal. To cut thru like a piece of 1/2" to 3/4" plate requires a honking machine.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/04/2014 6:35 AM  #25

Don't know if they make blades for harden steel for these?

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.