FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2014 6:57 AM  #1

Is an EFI swap going to do anything for me?

So I hear this cobra EFI setup available to me for $100 is brand new. Perfect shape. Was built into a rat-rod, then sold to a drag racer who knows carbs and wants nothing to do with injection.  My engine is a naked block about to be reassembled exactly as it came apart, (with stiffer valve springs). Roller cam, roller rockers, electric fuel pump pushing to a 625 cfm carb. It was pleasantly responsive and good for probably 320 hp.  I don't need EFI.  Just did a drivetrain swap in my pop's 65, but that was a stock '91 GT wholesale swap.  I think it might be fun to convert. Help me think this through.

Is this going to enhance performance?

Am I setting myself up to have to change 30 other things I'm not thinking about?

Downsides?

Is this going to be the best or worst $100 I've ever spent?

Thanks men,

Lance

4/05/2014 9:23 AM  #2

Re: Is an EFI swap going to do anything for me?

I am not motivated by high performance, and can't comment on plus or minus on that one way or the other, but I can relate some of the things I ran into that caused me to ditch the EFI that came on my 5.0 liter transplant and go with a carb set up.

For me it came down to expense and simplicity. You don't say how complete the set up is. Does it include a complete controle module and wiring harness that is suitable to splice into, or preferably plug into the old ford harness? Fuel rails and intake, etc? The other thing to consider is that EFI runs on a high pressure fuel supply that requires a return line to be plumbed into your gas tank.

In my case, it was going to cost me a lot to come up with the wiring harness and modules, and a lot of headache to figure it all out. If you are kind of indifferent and were happy with the carb, I would stick with it. Just my opinion. I am really happy with my 4 barrel set up on the 5.0 liter and it also makes it appear that the motor is not out of place in a vintage car.

4/05/2014 10:46 AM  #3

a drag racer who knows carbs and wants nothing to do with injection

Listen to these people...  I have had it both ways.  Mostly Holley carbs on high performance engines.  I built daughter Cara's 65 coupe with a 5.0 and EFI from a 90 Mustang.
I drove my 66 with a 351W from 1997 to 2013 with a carb. Never a problem.
Last year I converted to MSD electronic EFI.  Added alot of complexity to the car, electric fuel pumps (2 of them) return lines, electronics, etc.  Starts and drives great, but so did the carb.

I am even havng thoughts of removing the MSD EFI and reinstalling the perfect running carb I had on my 351W.  With a single, non-noisy fuel pump, and a single hard steel line from tank to fuel pump.

Simplicity goes with a carb every time.  EFI is great if you want to go through the hassle of getting it to work right.

Best thing about EFI is no fuel fumes boiling out of the carb.  Worst thing about EFI is if something goes wrong you can't fix it with a screwdriver, crescent wrench and a hammer. (read:complexity)

I am on the fence, I guess...  I pulled some spark plugs on the EFI 427 last night and they were black and sooty.  Never had that with my carb.  I AM CERTAIN your results will be different.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/05/2014 11:30 AM  #4

My 65 2+2 331 is EFI, where as our 73 Vert is 306 w/Holley carb. Truth be told even the wife wants EFI on the Vert too. I have been extremly dissappointed in both driving ability and fuel milage of the vert using a holley or edelbrock(I've used both).
EFI 306, 4R70W and 3.25 rear gear in the 2+2, could get 26 mpg @ steady 65mph, or 22-23 crusising interstate speeds 75+. The exact same combo, except carbed in the 73 Vert, struggles to get 19-20mpg. Hot rodding isn't about fuel milage, however seat of the pants-o-meter notes a parallel performance feel too.
Generaly those of us who have EFI(Ford ECCIV) are very pleased with it. If you,ve found a complete Ford Cobra ECCIV set up fer $100, I'd think that a bargain.
MustangSteve's EFI is NOT a Ford ECCIV, and IMHO nothing like the well wrung out Ford based EFI on a 5.0. Though admittdly an ECCIV would be far from stock once you got it to handle a Windsor stroker 427.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/05/2014 11:56 AM  #5

Complicated, by the fact I haven't seen it yet, I don't yet know what computer setup it has on it, but am told its brand new, and is believed to be sourced at Ford Racing.  Even at that, don't know if it's a totally adjustable setup. It's currently on a 302.  I already have a stainless 3/8 line coming to the carb and a smaller stainless line returning to the tank, so that tiny feature has been accomplished. I'll let you know what I find. If I were gonna do it, I guess I couldn't beat the price!

4/05/2014 12:23 PM  #6

Look in the DIY section of the forum to see JamesW's EFI fuel feed system. http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1419
I'll copy it for use in the Vert.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/05/2014 12:55 PM  #7

Definately old skool.
The cam you have may not be compatible with FI.
FI really like a LSA of 112/114 degrees.
You won't have that rumpity-rump exhaust note(if that is important). Like the others said.....elec fuel pump....returrn line...electrical add-ons........kinda takes the "hot-rod" out of the equation.
May as well just buy a new one and get a warranty. IMHO!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/05/2014 1:05 PM  #8

I think you should get it, and then after process of researching everything you need to convert, decide that you do not want to efi it,  then you can just resell it.   If its factory stuff, you will have all the conversion problems everyone else has faced,  however, it could be an aftermarket Ford racing harness that bypasses some of those wiring issues.    Once you get those bugs worked out, its definately going to be more turnkey for your wife.  

Either way, clearly worth the 100 dollar investment.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/05/2014 8:14 PM  #9

If it's all Cobra...and all there let me know if you decide not to grab it. I'll make it worth your trouble. 

Having said that, seven (I think) years  ago I had never touched an early Mustang other than to go cruising in a brandy-new black/black 65 A code, 4 speed fastback GT back in 65.  Then when we decided to get back in to some kind of classic, my wife specified a Mustang...hardtop.

Once I realized that she would never be happy with the hot fuel stink in the garage or other driveability issues of carbs, I decided to go with EFI and make the car somethin she  would drive and enjoy.

I bought a cheap 89 Lincoln TC, rebuilt the engine and AOD, upgraded the EFI to Mass-Air, and modified the stock (89) harness to marry the Mustang and operate my changes.  Also up-graded the engine to HO specs, ran the extra fuel line using an external Walbro pump and late Ford filter.  Plumbed the whole thing in steel with nylon flex at each end using the Ford type duck-bill and girdle fittings.  No leaks, no problems.
I read everything I could find on the subject of EFI (Ford EEC IV) and conversions to early cars.  I discovered that it really ain't rocket science...well, 25 years ago it was close but not now.  I learned so much on that project and it fit right in with my approach to all my cars...I've never had a stock car, something always gets "customized".  So the challenge of doing all the little changes to accomodate EFI was right up my alley...may not be your's. 
In 2010, on the way to the Bash in Kalispell, MT, I hooked up with MS, Tubo, and Glen B.  over near Colorado Springs.  MS decided that he wanted to see Pikes Peak.  So....up we went, 14,115 feet.  Glen and I were driving injected early coupes.  His had a blown 5.0 with 5 speed.  The two coupes absolutely behaved as well as MS's 07 and the, ah, well, the late model car that Tubo was driving.

That trip was 2700 miles.  The year before was nearly 2200 to Dallas and back.  No problems, no issues, no excitment, just set the cruise (over 80 across Wyo following Glen) and enjoy the ride.

Do not expect super economy with EFI.  A properly tuned pot will do as well but it's just easier with the EFI as it will constantly be perfecting the mixture as you driive.  And while we're on that subject, I read in Charles Probst's (EEC IV bible) book that removing the EGR  on an injected engine won't improve performance and may hurt fuel econ.  Well, I think I proved it.  With EGR the car delivered 24-26 going to Dallas.  Without EGR it was a fairly consistant 22 going to Kalispell...'course we were running a bit faster on that trip.

So...make yourself happy.  Butt (TS&T), if your wife is going to drive it, EFI might make her happier.  And, if you go that way you'll learn a lot of stuff you might not otherwise learn.
If wiring frightens you, I recommend staying with the carb.  There are 47 +- wires connected to the EEC IV PCM and you'll use most of them.  A little research or a post here will tell you what your can do away with and what you can't.  And...here's where I give you a warning: 
When I got back from Kalispell the fuel tank in our car resembled a beach ball...yeah, it was seriously swollen.  The stock gas cap vents in but not out and with all that hot fuel circulating, the vapor pressure apparently gets pretty high.  When the car goes back together in the next few months it will have vent line and a charcoal canister and I will re-enable the canister purge function.  They put that on there for a reason, I guess.

I will stick with EFI and when I say EFI I mean Ford's EEC IV.  It's cheap, flexible, works well, is stone-cold reliable, and so far parts are reasonably abundant.  And with the addition of tuners such as the Moats Quarterhorse and others it can be made to run dang near anything you might choose with as much HP as is legal...or should be.

Wow...I really got windy.   Sorry.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/05/2014 8:17 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/05/2014 9:35 PM  #10

It is all there. The injectors appear new. It is an 89 cobra setup complete with the computer and sensors. One of the polished metal ones. I'm not afraid of wiring, but when we did my pop's we ordered up an aftermarket wiring harness that mated with the vintage harness at the firewall and it worked out well.

Everything vintage about these old critters, including the occasional stranding...  my wife finds charming. It reminds her of her dad's cars back in the day. She's "special". Never complains about coming to get me or needing fetched.  But I digress.

I think ill do it just because it dropped in my lap. It's gonna cost me a few hundred to play, but I like learning too.  And silly as it is, I'll have everything I need to change it back if I've made a mistake. At least I'll have a solid opinion of my own about the effects of injecting.

Last edited by Lance (4/05/2014 9:36 PM)

4/06/2014 7:54 AM  #11

Lance wrote:

It is all there. The injectors appear new. It is an 89 cobra setup complete with the computer and sensors. One of the polished metal ones. I'm not afraid of wiring, but when we did my pop's we ordered up an aftermarket wiring harness that mated with the vintage harness at the firewall and it worked out well.

Everything vintage about these old critters, including the occasional stranding... my wife finds charming. It reminds her of her dad's cars back in the day. She's "special". Never complains about coming to get me or needing fetched. But I digress.

I think ill do it just because it dropped in my lap. It's gonna cost me a few hundred to play, but I like learning too. And silly as it is, I'll have everything I need to change it back if I've made a mistake. At least I'll have a solid opinion of my own about the effects of injecting.

Good decision...welcome to the "club".

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/06/2014 8:22 AM  #12

Is this an '89 5.0L H.O. Mustang GT engine with a Cobra upper/lower intake that's replaced the original upper/lower or, is the seller presenting the engine as an '89 Cobra engine?

A (true) Cobra 5.0L didn't exist until 1993.

Stock H.O. 5.0L 19 lb/hr fuel injectors will be color coded tan.  Cobra  24 lb/hr injectors will be coded light blue.

Last edited by ultrastang (4/06/2014 8:47 AM)

4/06/2014 8:42 AM  #13

ultrastang wrote:

Is this an '89 5.0L H.O. Mustang GT engine with a Cobra upper/lower intake that's replaced the original upper/lower or, is the seller presenting the engine as an '89 Cobra engine?

Stock H.O. 5.0L 19 lb/hr fuel injectors will be color coded tan. Cobra 21 lb/hr injectors will be coded light blue.

Steve, all the 19lb injectors I have found are orange.  Just sayin'.

BB

4/06/2014 8:44 AM  #14

Also...even if it is only an HO, at that price it's a good buy.  The PCM for an 89 HO will be either an A9L or A9P depending on whether it was a 5 speed or AOD car.

BB

4/06/2014 8:58 AM  #15

This site probably has the highest ratio of EFI users/members on the web.  I recall looking at all the cars at the last Dallas Bash and it seemed like half the cars there were EFI.  

It just boils down to personal preference.  For me, I don't drive my car enough and in the early years I was always fighting a carb that didn't run right.  Probably my inexperience with carbs, but I swapped to the EFI and now the car runs when I want it to run.  And the smell comment that others have made is true too.

Last edited by JamesW (4/06/2014 8:58 AM)

4/06/2014 9:14 AM  #16

Bullet Bob wrote:

ultrastang wrote:

Stock H.O. 5.0L 19 lb/hr fuel injectors will be color coded tan. Cobra 21 lb/hr injectors will be coded light blue.

Steve, all the 19lb injectors I have found are orange.  Just sayin'.

BB

You're correct, I'm just rusty since I haven't looked at this stuff in a while. The 19 lb injectors can actually be either yellow or orange. I also said 21 lb. Cobra injector. I had to go back and edit that to say 24 lb.

....In going back to my notes...

Ford Injector Color Codes

Gray = 14 lb./hr.
Yellow/Orange = 19 lb./hr. (ex. p.n. E6ZZ-9F593-A)
Light Blue = 24 lb./hr. (ex. p.n. F1TZ-9F593-C)
Red = 30 lb./hr. (E9SZ-9F593-A)
Dark Blue = 36 lb./hr. (F4SZ-9F593-B)
Green = 42 lb./hr.

24's came on the 5.0L HO '93-'95 Cobra Mustang and a some trucks. They can also be found on various '96-'99 Cobra Mustangs and a few other cars like the Mark VIII and the Marauder.

30's came on the '89-'93 T-Bird SC and the '89-'90 Cougar XR-7.

36's were an odd injector used on the '94-'95 SC only. They are very hard to get now.

42's are '99-'02 Lightning material and '03 Cobra.

4/06/2014 10:59 AM  #17

Ok, I have sat out of this one long enough.  I too have been a long time convert to EFI.  I was actually one of the first.  It was around 1990 and Ford had changed over to Mass Air for a couple of years by then on the HO's.  They ran great and adjusted for hopping up the engine gracefully (unless you got too much cam). 

I drove my 67 Coupe every day and I was sick and tired of getting out of the car smelling like a gas can and having to almost constantly adjust the idle circuit on the Holley.  It was a pain in the ***, and I hated the smell.  I know I was partly at fault with the smell because I ran an open air cleaner, but carbs always smell anyway.

Then it hit me.....the new 5.0 EFI intake would bolt right onto my old 289.  I would just need to feed it the proper fuel pressure and wire it in.  In these pre-internet days finding out the information proved to be challenging, and I was met with a lot of skepticism by experts and proclomations of "it will NEVER run" from people who thought they were experts.  I eventually preservered and gathered enough information to make the swap.  Despite the fact that the manifold I purchased had been sitting for a couple of years and the injectors were hideously clogged, it fired up and managed to actually idle with only about 3 injectors working correctly.

Since then I have logged over 75,000 miles with the factory EFI on my car.  The only problems I ever had with it involved a dead relay to ECU and trouble with inline fuel pumps.  It did not matter how low I tried to mount the fuel pump in front of the tank, it would have trouble pulling fuel and it would overheat and vapor lock.  I tried several different brands of pumps, same result.  I eventually installed a fitting into the top of my fuel tank and intalled the late model syle pump inside the tank.  I drove this car with fuel injection without any incidents for the next several years, and as I said before, put over 75,000 trouble free and non-gasoline-smelling miles behind me.  To this I say to most anybody wanting to convert their old Mustang over to EFI, consider purchasing a new tank made for it.  I like the one made by Tanks.inc

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=345/category_id=145/mode=prod/prd345.htm

It was totally worth it for me.  I averaged about 21-22 mpg with the EFI,  It ran well but did not rev like the Edelbrock 500 cfm carb that I had on it previously.  Of course I was just running the stock HO intake and throttle body.  It started every time and all you ever had to do was crank the key and drop the clutch.  It was ready to drive as soon as it started, in any weather. 

The question you need to ask yourself is if it is worth the extra trouble and expense to install it on your car.  You have to make changes to the fuel and electrical systems on your car, change out a lot of parts, and if you want it to rev you have to have the Cobra or GT40 intake manifold and larger than stock throttle body and mass air sensor and matching injectors.  All of these parts add up to quite a bit of money, and Ford did not make a better than stock manifold until the 93 Cobra came out, 89 would have been a standard HO intake.

If you are going to drive the car everyday, I cannot imagine why you would not want to convert to EFI, but if you are only going to drive once every weekend or so and not duing the winter at all, you really have to consider if it is anything that you need.  A properly sized and tuned carb will absolutely perform as well as the EFI, in fact, better than the factory HO EFI manifolds, and should give you almost as good mileage (although I always got better with the EFI by about 3-4 mpg compared to the carb).

I must appologize to Steve for using up all his message board with this post, but I got on a roll....

4/06/2014 7:40 PM  #18

I really appreciate the input from all angles. I'm pretty sure I get to take everything off a running EFI 302 and put it on mine.  The owner of the T-bucket wants none of it. I'll need:

1. A firewall forward EFI harness to plug into me 65 firewall-back,

2. Exhaust bungs for two O2 sensors,

3. O2 sensors, unless he's unloading those too,

4. Possible alternate electric fuel pump.  Mine may be capable but regulated down.

Ultra mentioned there was no Cobra setup in '89.  That's the kind of stuff you only learn in a forum like this!  I doubt the previous owner is trying to misrepresent anything. The current owner doesn't know what he has. I still haven't seen the setup. My engine guy passed the info and opinion along.  He was looking out for me.  He's never paid a dime from me, and it may turn into more work for him because I do have my limitations in experience. So he's certainly motivated to dodge it if it were a dog.  I'll get pictures until I can lay eyes on.  So injector color may be a hint?

Lance

4/06/2014 9:38 PM  #19

I was going to put a complete 90'  5.0 in my 67, after the car sat around at a shop for 4 yrs. I bought a 79 F100 that had a blown eng.  So, instead of waiting around for the 67, I put the complete 5.0 set up into the truck including AOD tranny. 
I'm not real mechanically inclined so, needless to say $2000 later the truck finally ran decent.
Start up was awsome, but for $2000. I could have had a brand new eng, not one with 90k mi. 

That experience covinced me to go carb on the 67. 

Just my 2 cents.

4/07/2014 5:19 AM  #20

I had a 79 Mustang Cobra with a Ford 2 barrel carburetor.  I also took the converters off and ran glass packs.  The 302 ran Awesome and I never remember smelling like gas fumes or any bad smells.  Must be 4 barrel carb thing that causes the smell.

Steve69

4/07/2014 7:06 AM  #21

MustangSteve wrote:

a drag racer who knows carbs and wants nothing to do with injection

I am even havng thoughts of removing the MSD EFI and reinstalling the perfect running carb I had on my 351W.  With a single, non-noisy fuel pump, and a single hard steel line from tank to fuel pump.

If you do, I want first dibs on the MSD setup...

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/07/2014 10:49 AM  #22

So, if you would please, help me identify what exactly I have available to me:

I notice the harness is the only thing marked with a sharpie as 1989.  I imagine the throttle body and manifold look really clean.  The computer is there, although I have no resources to know anything about it.  As I understand the previous details posted, these are 19 lb stockish injectors.  What does this tell you about what has found me?  Is $100 still sounding like a favorable price?  I'm already committed to buying it whether I decide to use it or not.  If I did decide to resell, I doubt I'll get hurt on it.  But in terms of using it, would you?  Should I?  I'll have to get a feel for that harness.  If it were in tact and non crispy, I'd consider working with it as opposed to buying one taylor-made for the 65 conversion.  Thoughts?

Thanks for the input.  I find it fun to talk about.

Lance

4/07/2014 11:18 AM  #23

A larger resolution pic of the computer where you can read the numbers would help a lot to judge. IMHO $100 is next to free for all that nice stuff. On the other hand we can not really compare as the USD ain't that much worth over here in northern Europe.

What you have there looks pretty much what Steve "ultrastang" was friendly enough to donate to me back in 2002 and that I used to convert my 289 in my '67 to EFI. What was missing I was able to source from European cars and it ran really nice when done. I used and modified an original wiring harness. Two years later I had the welding fire accident that turned the car into the Phoenix Project, but that's another story.

4/07/2014 11:30 AM  #24

The intakes alone are worth more than 100.00, buy it. Also post a larger pic of the computer

Last edited by Raymond_B (4/07/2014 11:34 AM)

4/07/2014 11:48 AM  #25

EFI Computer Digits:

See if that's any better!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.