FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2014 11:24 AM  #1

66 sprint 200 4 lug auto disc brake conversion pedal travel excessive

I installed the SSBC 4 lug dual MC power disc brake kit on my 66 sprint 200 auto mustang. The installation went smooth for the most part. Followed the direction bench bleed of MC went well and did al complete flush and bleed of brake lines all new rear drum brakes and adjusted properly. The brakes all work and do stop the car. The problem is the excess travel of the pedal . Results in a very late application of the brakes and slow application of brake lights . The preload of the pedal to booster rod does not engage for about an inch of travel. I have tried several different position of the brake pedal with the same delayed activation of the brakes. The adjustable prop valve is set correctly and the master is plumbed correctly.  Can you adjust the rod out the booster into the MC?
I reviewed all the pedal info on mustang Steve's site. I need help from those of you mustang folks that have solved the problem . Can i use the the SSBC booster and MC that came in the kit with the pedal pin kit from mustang Steve?. I need advice and solutions other wise my nicely restored convertible will become GARAGE ART.

4/07/2014 2:47 PM  #2

Re: 66 sprint 200 4 lug auto disc brake conversion pedal travel excessive

You'll have to remove the installed brake push rod for this. 

Compare the length of the new push rod with the old.  They may have different lengths.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/07/2014 2:58 PM  #3

Were the brakes working OK BEFORE the booster and master cylinder were installed?  If so, proceed to next paragraph.

It sounds like the booster output shaft is adjusted too short.  It should be adjusted so it has about 0.010" clearance from the MC piston when installed.  Easiest way to achieve that adjustment is to remove the MC and adjust the rod until the master cylinder will no longer fit flat against the booster. It will "rock" on the excessively long booster pushrod.  Then adjust the rod shorter in very small increments until the master cylinder no longer rocks.  You want that distance to be as close to zero as you can get it.  Allow a tiny bit because the master cylinder will pull towards the booster as the nuts are torqued.

If you did a complete brake rebuild when you also installed the booster, and did not drive the car before you installed the booster, be sure the brake shoes are all adjusted out against the drums.  If you don't, the master cylinder has to push enough fluid through the system to get the shoes out to the drums before it can apply any braking force, and that travel uses up all the capacity of the MC.  If yuo think that might be the case, you need to adjust the brakes.  Even though they are self-adjusting, they must woprk well enough for the car to be driven before they ca adjust themselves every time you apply brakes while backing up.  Tighten the star wheel adjusters until you cannot rotate the wheel by hand, then back off 10 clicks.  If your drums are oversized (worn out) then you may never get there with the adjustment.

The MustangSteve power brake kit is a SYSTEM that must include all the components as designed to make it work.  You cannot mix other boosters with it.  Many people have removed the SSBC and MPB and other systems when they had incurable brake issues, installing the MustangSteve kit to cure the problems. 

Hopefully adjusting the booster output shaft or adjusting the brakes will do the trick for you.

Another possibility, but less likely, is if you have a master cylinder with too small of a piston bore.  That will make for a very long stroke with no braking until you get to the very end.  But it would have to be ALOT smaller than normal to cause that issue with drum brakes.

Last edited by MustangSteve (4/07/2014 3:00 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/08/2014 1:09 AM  #4

Thanks for the tech info on this disc brake installation. I will check the booster out put shaft and adjust as you instructed.

Last edited by Hollysprint66 (4/08/2014 1:10 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.