FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2014 9:10 PM  #1

Blasting the under side of the hood

like to know if it's a good idea to sand blast the under side of the hood to get rid of the rust or spry it with rust killer then primer it to paint. What is the best way to take care of this. It's not bad but needs cleaning up so I can use the hood. Thaqnks for any help with this.

4/09/2014 9:33 PM  #2

Re: Blasting the under side of the hood

NO, NO, NO!!  You do not want to sand blast any sheet metal that doesn't have stiffeners (tight bends) in it to control warp.  And even parts like floorboards and heaver frame members and pillars can be made to warp by injudicious application of sand.

Hitting the underside of your hood skin will likely ruin it by causing warpage that you nor a really good body guy can undo.

Use chem, sanding paper, and a careful application of a scotch-brite wheel (on the hood frame members, not the skin) and lots of hours  to strip the underside of your hood. And no matter what you use, be very careful about getting much heat on the skin.  Useable OEM hoods are getting hard to come by so don't ruin your's.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/09/2014 11:34 PM  #3

Soda blast is what a lot of people do. The sand blasting warps metal badly sometimes. You can get awhole car soda blasted for next to nothing and you can leave in the glass and chrome

4/09/2014 11:37 PM  #4

I'd follow up by checking for high and low spots if you can use a hammer and foul to remove them and them if you need to use light weight filler and then a good epoxy primer. 3 coats of that and bam good as new

4/10/2014 6:47 AM  #5

Thanks for all the help you all kept from making a big mistake think I will go with soda blast. You guys an this site are awesome thanks once more.

Last edited by Mustang Guy (4/10/2014 6:48 AM)

4/10/2014 7:26 AM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

Use chem, sanding paper, and a careful application of a scotch-brite wheel (on the hood frame members, not the skin) and lots of hours  to strip the underside of your hood. And no matter what you use, be very careful about getting much heat on the skin.  Useable OEM hoods are getting hard to come by so don't ruin your's.

BB

Just like what BB says and here's my result:

4/10/2014 9:19 AM  #7

Hakan wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

Just like what BB says and here's my result:

I bet you developed a good case of tennis elbow getting that hood looking like that?

Last edited by boomyal (4/10/2014 9:19 AM)

4/10/2014 2:07 PM  #8

boomyal wrote:

I bet you developed a good case of tennis elbow getting that hood looking like that?

Nope, I used this on my elbows to avoid injuries:

4/10/2014 8:29 PM  #9

Yuck!

Hakan wrote:

boomyal wrote:

Nope, I used this on my elbows to avoid injuries:

4/12/2014 1:07 PM  #10

Mustang Guy wrote:

Thanks for all the help you all kept from making a big mistake think I will go with soda blast. You guys an this site are awesome thanks once more.

I suggest you do some more research on soda blasting. If you don't get off all the soda, it will lift the new paint. A two piece part like a hood underside is very hard to completely clean. I am going to strip and paint the underside of my '66 hood this week and I am going to use the Elbow Grease Method.

4/12/2014 2:32 PM  #11

Just use vinegar after sand blasting or a good surface prep cleaner and plus dawn soap and wash it and you should be good. That's what you usually have to use for a faster method to strip aluminum

4/12/2014 4:50 PM  #12

I have done it every way, grit blast, soda blast, sand paper, aircraft stripper. I prefer the stripper and sandpaper/ wire brush technique since there is never any warping. And yes, it does take elbow grease, but I spell mine Guinness not like Hakan!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.