FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2014 2:42 PM  #1

Truck search advice needed

I'm starting a search for a pickup project.  I'm trying to find one locally or at least in Colorado and these are two I may look at this weekend.  The craigslist links are below.  Any red flags?  I intend to do the Crown Vic. swap and it doesn't have to be pretty but I want to avoid any known weak areas if they exist. I am interested in anything from perhaps 64 though 78.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4386209378.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4412460055.html

4/11/2014 2:45 PM  #2

Re: Truck search advice needed

I dont know a lot about the trucks but both of them look pretty nice.

4/11/2014 3:16 PM  #3

I had a 71 F-150 a long time ago that I wish I would have kept. I like that 68. If I remember correctly you have to watch for rust behind the seat around where the gas tank mounts. I'd also look really close at the bed. Something that is all beat up or has holes in it could be a lot of body work down the road.

4/11/2014 5:42 PM  #4

the '64 same chassis justa classier truck,worst problem I ever had was the twin I beam crossmember was bent. 

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

4/11/2014 7:14 PM  #5

Are you wanting a long bed or short bed or, does it matter? The '64 F-100 was the first year for the twin I - beam front suspension (I know you said you were looking to do the 2003 -2011 Crown Victoria swap but, was just adding that information). [EDIT: I just noticed an error I made. '65 was the first year for the twin I-beam. '64 would still have had a straight front axle.] I see they mention going through the brakes but it's still sporting its single pot suicide MC. It also has the very old 292. I'm not certain how abundant or available parts would be for that engine. It also lists a 4-speed. This would not be like the Top-Loader 4-speed in an early Mustang. It's likely a T-18 or NP435 granny low 4-speed. This means in street use 1st gear is pretty much useless. The truck also features power nothing --no power brakes, no power steering, no air and no automatic transmission. I don't know how important any of these items are to you but until they can be added, you'll have to contend with what's there --errr, not there.

The '68 Ranger has a 390 and automatic transmission --most likely a C-6. It doesn't have A/C or power brakes but does have power steering. Many parts are still available for the FE 390 engine. A power brake booster is easy to add to the '68. ('67 F-100s have several 1 year only items that makes them an odd - ball compared to the '68-'72 models and brake boosters are one of them). The '68 will have more interior room than the '64 and the price on the '68 Ranger isn't bad either.

I don't know how much you plan to change/modify/upgrade whatever you end up with and most anything can be added to or changed on any vehicle, given enough work and money thrown at it so, I guess it's more of a matter in what body/year model you are wanting that will determine the basis of what you are wanting to build upon.

Last edited by ultrastang (4/11/2014 9:11 PM)

4/11/2014 7:32 PM  #6

Great info.  I am not looking for a show truck so things like (relatively) easy brake system enhancements are more important and I will probably shift my search to 68 and up.  I want to do the crown vic swap and probably a motor/transmission update to something modern (if not right out of the crown vic if I get a donor car) but I have a soft spot for FE's.  Ultra - I really like your short-bed truck and would like to find one here but they appear to be few and far between compared to the long-beds.  There are times when the long bed will come in handy as I do intend to use it as a truck so I won't turn one down if I find a nice one.  Thanks everyone for the feedback.

4/11/2014 8:12 PM  #7

My '69 F-100 Ranger several months after I bought it in April, 2011.

More recently.

My '69 F-100 Ranger has its stock 240 L6 engine with the factory C-4 transmission and a 9" 3.50 ratio with single track differential. It didn't come with A/C, power steering or power brakes. I have added a factory dual diaphragm brake booster from a '75 F-350 1 ton truck (still has its 4 - wheel drums, for now).

I'll redo the ugly brake lines after I swap the disc brake I beams in from a '77 F-100, along with a power steering gear box and factory tilt column I have from a '78 F-150, and a 1-1/8" front sway bar from a '78 F-250 Camper Special.

...I do have a 2003 (civilian) Crown Victoria front suspension and an '89/'90 Thunderbird IRS rear end assembly (8.8" with Traction-Loc and 3.27 gears) tucked away). If I do install them, it'll be a project for a much later date.

Some Slick and Bump Side inspirational renderings. 

4/11/2014 9:32 PM  #8

In 65, when they went with the twin I beam suspension, the trucks gained ALOT of leg room.  The frames dipped down under the floor, they lowered the floor several inches, and the steering column changed to a much better angle and went through the firewall rather than the floor.  For that reason, I wanted a 65 or newer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/11/2014 9:53 PM  #9

GPatrick wrote:

Great info.  I am not looking for a show truck so things like (relatively) easy brake system enhancements are more important and I will probably shift my search to 68 and up.  I want to do the crown vic swap and probably a motor/transmission update to something modern (if not right out of the crown vic if I get a donor car) but I have a soft spot for FE's.  Ultra - I really like your short-bed truck and would like to find one here but they appear to be few and far between compared to the long-beds.  There are times when the long bed will come in handy as I do intend to use it as a truck so I won't turn one down if I find a nice one.  Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Thanks for your compliment, Gary. My truck is far from a beauty queen but is very solid and the primary reason I bought it. Things can be changed over time but I was primarily looking for a solid foundation to build on.

Well, if you're interested in the '67-'72 era trucks and wanting to change the suspension, engine and transmission to more modern items, you might find the following link interesting. --check out the modification the guy made to the cargo light when you get to page 11 of this guy's build thread. I had been trying to figure out for a while how I could do this on my truck, when I saw this 3 or 4 nights ago. Pretty cool and simple solution. Before he posted this mod, I wasn't aware this type of light bulb existed.

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66753&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

4/11/2014 10:22 PM  #10

That's some impressive work.  I didn't go to the link for the light but the fact that it runs in a standard socket for an 1157 is neat. 

4/12/2014 7:11 AM  #11

I'm not sure of rust issues in Colorado, but here in the Northeast, these late 60's, early 70's Ford trucks had rust issues impacting the the front cab mounts to the frame.  This caused the cab to drop and impacted the steering.
I had a 74 w/AC, and had a rust issue behind the AC unit, in the engine compartment, that caused the floor to rust out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/12/2014 7:14 AM  #12

I'm not sure of rust issues in Colorado, but here in the Northeast, these late 60's, early 70's Ford trucks had rust issues impacting the the front cab mounts to the frame.  This caused the cab to drop and impacted the steering.
I had a 74 w/AC, and had a rust issue behind the AC unit, in the engine compartment, that caused the floor to rust out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/12/2014 7:16 AM  #13

They do use some salt but not nearly as much as out east so rust is not as big of issue but still possible.  I was not aware of the cab mount issue so thanks for the heads-up.  After dealing with the rust on my Mustang I don't really want to go down that path again.

4/13/2014 2:02 PM  #14

Cab mount rust can be found between the rubber biscuit and the bottom of the mount, as well as the interior of the mount,  Usually evident as blistering on the sides.  The cab mounts are double walled so once the rust starts, all you can do is cut the whole mount out.

That is part of what got butchered up so bad on my 66 when that body shop turned an inexperienced guy loose on it.  Once he cut the mount out, he had no idea where it went in order to put it back on!  Apparently Oscar figured it out, though.

Last edited by MustangSteve (4/13/2014 2:03 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.