FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2014 11:34 PM  #26

Re: 65 mustang Radiator

http://www.cjponyparts.com/engine-fan-shroud-260-and-289-1964-1966/p/FANS1/

this is the fan shroud I have.. may be not the same exact one.. but looks just like this. You think I should install just this fan shroud with the 4 row equvalent aluminum rad.. or should I go ahead and look for a different shroud. I like to get the things done right when I am in there so I dont have to revisit.. lol .. thus the question  

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

4/17/2014 7:26 AM  #27

hmartin025 wrote:

I suspect the lower hose would be hard pressed to collapse with 13 lbs. pressure.
Howard

It's not 13 psig in the lower hose at the pump suction side, that is why it is called suction. You do not have to believe me, do your own research, find a knowlegable source on the web and see what they have to say about springs for the lower hose. By the way, I have seen a non-spring lower hose collapse with my own eyes. At idle, OK, rev the engine, hose collapses from the rapid reduction of pressure due to the pump suction. Of course, a weak water pump is less likely to collapse the lower hose than a good one.

Last edited by Hornman (4/17/2014 7:32 AM)

4/17/2014 10:10 AM  #28

Thanks for your inputs people... I have bought the spring... And it will be installed in the lower hose.

Now tell me about a shroud that I need :D

Thanks a lot

4/17/2014 6:24 PM  #29

Gaba wrote:

....Now tell me about a shroud that I need :D.....

The shroud in the cjpony ad looks identical to my factory shroud. And it works well with the blade being half in and half out.  The shroud is two inches deep, just below he bulge in the picture.

Last edited by boomyal (4/17/2014 8:52 PM)

4/23/2014 7:03 PM  #30

Radiator recieved. Looks beautiful!!

4/23/2014 7:13 PM  #31

Gaba wrote:

Which one did you get?  Mine, from ebay, just arrived today but I have not yet opened the box to look at it.

4/23/2014 8:15 PM  #32

boomyal wrote:

Gaba wrote:

Which one did you get?  Mine, from ebay, just arrived today but I have not yet opened the box to look at it.

That's the same one I got. And I'll have the same shroud with the same fan .. I'll be installing it in Saturday. :D waiting for the 4row fan shroud mounts to come in.

Got the lower radiator hose spring too

Also got a steel overflow tank . :D

4/23/2014 8:54 PM  #33

I just put together a parts list of all the parts, part numbers and prices required to install a 24" clamp-in radiator and shroud in a 65/66 Mustang if anyone needs it.  It is on an excel spreadsheet and I can email it to anyone who EMAILS and asks for it.  steve@mustangsteve.com
Refer to my INSTALL A BIGGER RADIATOR PAGE where it shows pic of one installed and shows how much core support you have to trim out to make it work.

This is the best way to go on a 65/66, as you get a 24" wide radiator and the shrouds are much, much better.  List has radiator for upper passenger/lower driver 70 style.  If you have lower hose on passenger side, get the 69 radiator and small block shroud and everything else will work.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/23/2014 9:57 PM  #34

Gaba wrote:

Just opened mine.  It is quite impressive for $149 shipped.  I'll be anxious to get it in before the parade circuit starts this year.  Hopefully, no more sweating as I would watch the temperature climb, at parade speeds.

4/24/2014 5:19 AM  #35

boomyal wrote:

Gaba wrote:

Just opened mine.  It is quite impressive for $149 shipped.  I'll be anxious to get it in before the parade circuit starts this year.  Hopefully, no more sweating as I would watch the temperature climb, at parade speeds.

amen!!!

4/25/2014 8:20 PM  #36

What radiator cap is suggested?

I have a 16lb 230F cap .. Similar looking to what I see in MS's pic, that's on my current radiator.. 3 row old one

But as I am changing to new, I got a new cap from autozone, that's for this car, and has a safety check red valve thing. It's rated for 13lb's with no temperature rating specified.

That ok?

4/25/2014 9:51 PM  #37

13# max cap, just like the factory used.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/27/2014 1:34 PM  #38

Alright folks results are in. The aluminum radiator is in and yes it went togethe beautifully and added stock fan shroud to it with lower radiator spring. All that , and I have one word COOL!!! Lol

Installed a new shiny metal overflow tank in on the driver side fender , and used vaccum hose so if would fit both the radiator which was a 5/16th opening, and the overflow tank that had a 1/8 or may be a bit bigger pipe on it .

It looks great and works :: well you tell me

After installing and filling it , getting all the bubbles out, I got the stang on the street.. Usually with 79-80degrees outside I cruise on the highway at about 190-195 doing 75mph.. 2500rpm. So I got it on the highway and punched it hard.. I had barely climbed to 160, but after punching and going fast on the highway , it dropped to 155 than go up. I thought may be its cooler outside, lets do a red light test. See if I can keep my AC blaring , and it ideling in drive on a red light, so after 15 minutes of drive on the highway, I sit in a parking lot with AC turned all the way up. The ideling rpm was kinda low, 400-450rpm.. So I know there wasn't much air or water moving through the engine. Regardless, of -5 minutes of sitting there I creep up slowly very slowly to 200-205.. I was like ok.. Now that I have it here, I should drive it and see how much if can cool.
All I needed was to hit 25-30 mph and the needle dropped 30 degrees.. And I maintained 180 for the rest of the in town journey no matter small red light stops , I was freezing my butt off as the AC blows icickles lol

All that to say, I was thinking now it will maintain the temp at 180 once it's there, but as soon as I hit the highway it cooled down to 160. And I am
Thinking to myself lol ... Is there really a thing like too cool lol in an old v8.. I guess there is lol

Although my thermostat is 180 radiator doesn't let it open till I am sitting still or moving slow. It's amazing!!!!!!!!!!

The went for a ride around Plano Richardson garland frisco area, stop signs and red lights.. And after a 2 hour drive / cruise, I came back rolling at 180.. Not a drop more!!! Couldn't not have been happier with the results !!! Wow!!

Thanks forum !!

4/27/2014 1:41 PM  #39

One thing to remember for anyone who bought this exact radiator ::: I was curious and wanted to put plumbers tape on the overflow fitting threads, well unscrewing it revealed a cross threading in the neck.and the overflow nipple was aluminum too so both make and female side were torn apart as aluminum being so soft, just wants to chop away ..

That's why you see a bronze fitting there . I tried to go with a thread saver, but it was more trouble than worth. So I just went with a sae size thread instead, that kind of seated itself and dug it's own threads in. Did it carefully and slowly. So it's good and no leaks

The overflow line was added after this pic, as I made a trip to local autozone

4/27/2014 4:13 PM  #40

Ohh by the way NOTE:: thickness is exactly same as a 3 core stock. So my 4row shroud brackets are hopefully getting returned. 3row shroud brackets worked well

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.