FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2014 9:02 AM  #1

Fuel pump to carburetor fuel line setup

I need some suggestions for this line.  I currently have steel line from fuel pump with a short piece of rubber hose to connect to the carb.  I am afraid that if that hose goes, I go too.  On start up this spring, gas was squirting out of the hose connection.  Seems the hose clamp worked loose.  Didn't leak last fall.  There must be a better / safer way.

302/347 with stock fuel pump with Holley 650 double pumper.  Pics with a list of parts used would be appreciated.  Thanks.

4/14/2014 10:50 AM  #2

Re: Fuel pump to carburetor fuel line setup

Do you a filter at the carb? My '65 has a hard line from the pump to the carb with no inline filter or rubber hose.
Good luck

4/14/2014 1:55 PM  #3

I have an edelbrock 600 with electric choke. I bought a kit that had an inline filter. This came with a 90 degree elbow. Then I bought a braided line kit with AN connectors that runs to my fuel pump. I also have another filter on the tank to pump side as well.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

4/14/2014 1:58 PM  #4

Guess I could have pasted a website like this.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/carburetors/access-fuel.shtml

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

4/14/2014 2:13 PM  #5

With a Holley double pumper, you probably have one of those chrome dual fuel lines at the carb with a 3/8" hose bibb facing forward.  I use a 3/8" hard line from the pump to that bibb, and then use my inverted flare kit to make a bubble on the end of the tubing.  The tubing will come straight to the hose bibb on the dual line.  The use a 2" long rubber hose to make the connection.  A pair of those spring loaded hose clamps that you use pliers to install will do the job very nicely.  There is only about 7-9 psi at that connection, and those clamps never come loose.

That way you really do not have any hose length to cause any issues.  Just about 2" to make the connection.

If you want a true hard line, then braze on a SAE inverted flare connection to the dual line, and flare the tubing to mate to it.  Or maybe somebody makes a dual line like that.  I prefer having the ability to remove the carb easily so I prefer the short hose.

Be sure the steel line does not touch the engine and avoid hot spots.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/14/2014 3:18 PM  #6

I bought a brake line and made sure the connection was the same size that goes into the fuel pump.
Then I bent it to the shap I wanted to the pump to the carburetor. I cut the end off on the carburetor end.  Then I slid a rubber fuel hose over the steel line and clamped on top with a hose claim and them clamped down below where the pump line goes in.

Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (4/14/2014 3:20 PM)

4/14/2014 3:49 PM  #7

Just redid my entire Fuel line from Tank to Carb yesterday. Went braided -6 all the wat. Have about a 2 inch rubber hose at the Fuel sending unit to a barbed 3/8 to -6 adapter. then from there to the intake of the pump is one -6 braided line. Then a 90 degree swivel out of the pump to a -6 on a billet filter that then connects to the pressure regulator at the carb. The pressure regulator is on a line kit i got from jegs for my Holley DP... I will try and take some pics and post them tonight.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/14/2014 7:41 PM  #8

Will that much flex hose pass tech at the dragstrip, Ron?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/15/2014 6:38 AM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

Will that much flex hose pass tech at the dragstrip, Ron?

It will at any of the ones I've been to. They don't seem to look that hard anymore... lol
I've seen some of the Big Boys run that from their cells all the way up without any Tech Issues...
The original hard line was so dented and bent up I'm suprised it ran like it did. This is a much better deal, only wish the majority of t wasn't hidden under the car.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/15/2014 2:54 PM  #10

Ethanol fuel is tough on rubber hoses and parts. Use "Green Stripe" ethanol resistant hose where you must use hose.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.