FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2014 4:00 PM  #1

Under ride traction bars

Looking to put some traction bars on my 66 coupe. I fabricated and installed a set of sub frames off Daze's site. I've read where these under ride traction bars can rip out of the frame though....would that be original frame? I'm doubting they will rip the box steel I fabbed. Has anyone built these of Mustangs steve's drawing and installed into 66 couipe with subframes?  Pros/cons...will be a daily driver but I want to keep the rearend from hopping. 3.55 gears. If not the home built under rides, which ones would you guys recommend? Thanks

Last edited by mainiac1 (4/14/2014 4:07 PM)

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

4/14/2014 7:39 PM  #2

Re: Under ride traction bars

Forget the traction bars.  All they do is make the car ride rougher, and do not completely stop wheel hop.  I speak from direct experience.  And Shelby even agreed.

Spend your money on a good set of heavy duty leaf springs, four leaf will do the job.  I prefer the reverse eye setup.   Approx $200

I wound up with a set of monoleaf fiberglas springs which do pretty good, but I still get a little hop if I turn all 500hp loose at one time.  Approx $450

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/14/2014 8:15 PM  #3

I installed old fashioned Traction Masters around 1985.  They are still there, and counter to MS, I have no wheel hop and the suspension did not stiffen.  Of course I only have about 350hp.
Most on this site,however, would disagree with me.  There are some designs that do not have the solid front attachment.  These are mostly do-it-yourself, and are supposed to eliminate the binding totally.  That design is out on the web somewhere.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/14/2014 8:33 PM  #4

I put Lakewood bars on my '66 fb. Still had hop with traction master style but the Lakewoods solved it completely.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lakewood-20470-Universal-Traction-Bars-/400280212922

Hosted Mustang Steve Birthday Bash 2009        http://www.tm66mustang.com

4/14/2014 9:49 PM  #5

Thanks for the info guys. Buddy of mine here locally has a set (notr sure what) on his 68 and swears by them...probly 300 hp or so. Read where the wheel hop will eat an 8" rear and trying to avoid that.

4/15/2014 6:17 AM  #6

I have the under rides on my car. Had trouble with spring wrap which caused the wheel hop. They didn't do anything to help. That said, they also didn't cause any binding. You have to install them when the car is at it's normal ride height. I installed the spring plate, attached the bar to the front mount and tacked the front mount while car was sitting on the ground. Then removed the bar and jacked up the rear to fully weld in the front mount. Looking at another design that pivots at the front of the spring and applies pressure to the top of the spring where the second leaf meets the top leaf, I added a clamp that goes over the spring at the same point and below the under ride bar. I just snugged up the nuts on the clamp so they only come into play when accelerating and the spring wants to flex upwards. Problem is solved and no binding nor change in ride quality.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

4/15/2014 4:16 PM  #7

I had terrible wheel hop on my '66 convertible, I have a 351W with a top loader 4 speed, 3;70 limited slip 9" rearend and 4 1/2 leaf reverse eye springs. Couple of weeks ago I installed a set of CalTrac traction bars. I no longer have wheel hop. If you order the Caltracs be sure to tell them what kind of leaf springs you have. The front bracket is different if you have reverse eye leaf springs. 

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

4/15/2014 5:20 PM  #8

I've never had traction bars because I added a leaf to my stock leaf springs and that eliminated any axle wrap.  However, my ride suffered.  Now, on the advice of John at Opentracker, I've cut that leaf almost in half and mounted it on top, as is done with a 4-1/2 leaf setup that many aftermarket suppliers offer.  Supposedly that will preerve much of the anti-wrap up capability of my previous 5 leaf setup, which is determined primarily by the stiffness of the front part of the leaf spring.  At the same time, I should be preserving much of the ride quality of a 4 leaf setup, which is determined primarily by the rear part of the leaf springs.  I haven't had it back on the road yet so I can't confrm that.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/15/2014 5:30 PM  #9

The reason for the binding of regular traction bars is because you are using one rigid bar and one flexible (spring) bar to try to locate the axle.  If someone wants to play with an idea before I get to it, it is to use a solid bar, such as the Shelby underride bar in Steves diagram, except at the front end of the bar, instead of a rigid mount, to the frame, use a "dog bone" from the frame to the bar.  "Dog Bone" - very similar to the shackle at the rear of the spring - only shorter from hole center to hole center.  It would limit the axle's tendancy to wrap up, and would keep the "binding" from happening because of the changing length from pivot to axle - spring eye bolt to spring bottom plate. The "dog bone" would allow for the changing dimension without binding.  This is essentially what Cal Trac is doing, except from the other end of the spring.  Hope you understand.   I'd draw a "pitcher" and post it if I could "figger" out this new posting system.

4/15/2014 6:51 PM  #10

Part of the trouble with the Shelby under-rider traction bars is they are not the same length as the front section of the spring from the center bolt to the center of the eye, this un-equal length causes a bind that in turn causes the ride to suffer, when I built my traction bars I did pattern them after the Shelby under-rider's but mine are the same length so they act somewhat like a four link, even like this they stiffened up the ride a little so I then cut the bars and made them telescope, they have about 3/8th's of an inch before they are compressed and then they act the same as the under-rider bars, it helped the ride and I have no traction hop at all, I have  285/45 X 18's Nitto 555's on the rear that hook up pretty well when I hammer on the 427 so am really happy with the way the traction bars work. 

The amount of fun is directly proportionate to the damage done.

4/15/2014 8:54 PM  #11

Good info Guys. Pablo, I can picture what your describing.

4/16/2014 6:52 AM  #12

I have a '69 Mach 1 with Caltrcs they will solve your wheel hop problem. The R cars Shelby produced had the traction bars above the rear axle, the bar came through the floor and mounted above the pivot point of the leaf spring , no wheel hop.

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

4/16/2014 8:23 AM  #13

Suggest you check a post on the old MS Forum; search "Traction Master Type Traction Bar Intallation Info" from April 2011.
I made a "Caltrac" set based on info provided by Kaz, and am still quite happy with the installation ... and no wheel hop.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/16/2014 8:24 AM  #14

Suggest you check a post on the old MS Forum; search "Traction Master Type Traction Bar Intallation Info" from April 2011.
I made a "Caltrac" set based on info provided by Kaz, and am still quite happy with the installation ... and no wheel hop.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/16/2014 8:44 AM  #15

marsfl1 wrote:

I have a '69 Mach 1 with Caltrcs they will solve your wheel hop problem. The R cars Shelby produced had the traction bars above the rear axle, the bar came through the floor and mounted above the pivot point of the leaf spring , no wheel hop.

O.K., I'm officially jealous! I love that car.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.