FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2014 5:46 PM  #1

FYI for a 2005 GT electrical problem

Last week I got the dreaded phone call from the wife.  The car has a problem on the way home from work. As stated above it is a 2005 GT we have owned since new. She was on the X-way and the check engine (MIL) came on.  Then the cascade of events followed:
Data center: Oil pressure low, Fuel low.  Both gauges registered zero.
The radio stopped working
The headlights went off.
Parking brake light was on.
Whe she got home I saw her brake lights were not working except for the cyclops.
She got off at the first exit and into a parking lot. She knew the fuel tank was full.  She checked the oil dipstick and oil level was normal. 
She got back in the car and the gear selector would not come out of park (auto trans)  She got out her glove box screwdriver and hit the lock release and got it in drive and came home back roads.
The engine was running normally.
Next day I read the codes and got P0463 and P2068 (A & B fuel circuits high)
I talked to a couple of EFI familar people and we decided there must be some kind of major grounding problem for all these things to happen at once.
I cleaned and retightened all the grounds I could find.  So far,  all systems normal and no MIL atter a week of normal driving.
I thought this might help someone avoid a trip to the dealer. 

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

4/16/2014 9:44 PM  #2

Re: FYI for a 2005 GT electrical problem

Good post Bob, Thanks.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

4/16/2014 10:11 PM  #3

Tell Cindy that I am VERY IMPRESSED that she knew how to bypass the shifter lock.

My 2007 GT has done the thing with the gauges lighting up a few times.  Sometimes it is just the low brake fluid warning coming on.   I don't think it has done it since I changed out the positive battery terminal for a solid brass one, though.. The sheetmetal original clamp is prone to corroding and falling into two pieces.  The factory replacement cable is near $100.  I bought a brass clamp for a boat and bolted the cable to it.  No more green battery terminals.

Just gotta make it until the new ones come out... Maybe even the 2016 model.  Seems they always wait a year after introducing a new model to add some more cool stuff.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/17/2014 7:12 AM  #4

As this is impacting many of the electrical components, I'd first search for a grounding issue.  I heard of similar problems w/other makes of cars, suggest googling it, someone may be able to identify the various ground connections to check.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.