FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2014 7:13 PM  #1

A little winter project

I needed a 5 volt supply for my gauges and a few guys were talking about a low fuel light so I combined the two. This is what I came up with. Its a circuit board with a 5 volt adjustable power supply and adjustable low fuel light.

Its about 2" by 1.5" in size and is desinged to mount in place where the 5 volt CVR (constant voltage regulator) is located. The blue terminal block on the circuit board is the out put for the low fuel light. An LED or low wattage 12 volt light can be connected there.

The yellow wire is used to monitor the fuel level. It connects to the terminal on the back of the fuel gauge that goes to the fuel sending unit (yellow with white stripe). The red and green wire on the circuit board are made to plug into the wires that went to the CVR.

The above picture shows where I mounted the low fuel LED. The low fuel light is adjustable, it can be adjusted to come on at full tank, 1/2 tank, empty or any where in between. No guessing when there is just 4 gallons left in the tank. There is a built in time delay so bumps in the road won't turn on the light but once it turns on it seals itself on.

And here it is after the time delay.

Last edited by wsinsle (4/17/2014 7:21 PM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/17/2014 8:23 PM  #2

Re: A little winter project

This little jewel is the cats....  Two or three years ago I was working on a 98 Cobra harness for 68Mustang.  He asked if I could figure out how to make a sender to make his original LOW FUEL light work.  I tried to make a circuit that read the sender resistance and fired a transistor...I was a miserable failure.  Then Bob E on here worked on the idea but again, no joy.

Now Walt has done it and it is slick.  Since he was kind enough to send me one of the early production models I wired  it into my cluster harness and tested it while ringing out my new under dash wiring.

Works just as advertised.  The time delay is supposed to be fifty seconds and it is exactly that...which should be long enough to get over any lumps, bumps or small hills when the tank is low but not critical yet. 

I haven't mounted the LED yet and was thinking of putting it in the gas gauge dial face.  Now I know that will work, thanks Walt.

This is a well made, well thought out unit.  Walt had the PC boards made special and does the assembly himself.   Wiring it in is a  snap even for the electrically challenged.  It should be a Godsend for guys with the later cars that came with the warning light but no longer have a useable fuel sender (I understand the NOS senders are pretty pricey if available at all).  And for the rest of us, well, it's just one more cool and functional little bell/whistle to add to our car.  And you get an adjustable CVR in the deal.

Thank you for your time and talent, Walt, I just love little up-grades like this.  Now, if you will just accept my appology for not getting the story and pix done in a timely fashion...all will be well.

See ya in Vandalia Walt...Great job!

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/17/2014 8:59 PM  #3

The various talents in this group never cease to amaze me.  From panel beating (my fave since it involves a hammer) to wiring, to electronics, to paint, to writing checks, and everything in between.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/18/2014 10:23 AM  #4

Bob your being way to kind. It was really your kind words of encouragement that got me off my a$$ and started working on this. Do to some issues I've been in kind of a funk for way to long. Now its time to get back to the car I haven't hardly touched in over a year.
     Be careful getting in to that fuel gauge to mount the LED, I wasn't sure if mine was going to work again. If I was to do it over again I would probablly mount it in the center below the word fuel or where my first mistake was. (If you look close in the picture where the light is off you could see the first place I drilled) This would require cutting away part of the fuel gauge housing, but would keep you away from the interior workings of the gauge.
     If there is any interest in these I will put put some together. I was thinking $30 plus shipping for guys on the fourm. Beleive me this is not a for profit thing. I'll can post more info on the swap page.
     Thanks again Bob

Last edited by wsinsle (4/18/2014 10:53 AM)

4/18/2014 12:50 PM  #5

You could definitely count me in for one.
I thought the Speedhut gauges I ordered had a warning light, but do not.

4/18/2014 2:44 PM  #6

Me TOO!!.........cool little gadget......just what I need!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/20/2014 11:32 AM  #7

That is super cool!  I would like to get one too!

4/21/2014 2:59 PM  #8

For those interested I posted contact info on the swap page.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.