FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2014 6:22 PM  #1

MDF and JB Weld to the rescue.

A while back I posted about having to shorten a cable for a remote trunk release.  The solution was to loop the two pieces together and crimp the loops.  It worked but I I thought it was too loose.  What makes these cables work is the part the cable slides in.  That has to be the right length and have the correct ends so it will attach to the release lever and the lock mechanism.  These pieces were too short because of the loop and crimp so I added ahort piece to make up the difference.  I then connected them with short pieces of rubber hose.  I do want to get another so I only need two pieces.  The cable still needs to be shortened and  the right end put on.  JB Weld to the rescue.  JB Weld sticks to everything.  But I need to make some kind of mold to make the end. I had some scrap MDF so I drilled some holes in it to make so tests.

A little work with the Dremel and they look like this.

I think it's going to work out fine.

Volvo!

4/18/2014 8:24 PM  #2

Re: MDF and JB Weld to the rescue.

I love that stuff.

Steve69

4/19/2014 7:39 PM  #3

Re: MDF and JB Weld to the rescue.

Let us know how it works out over time.  I love experimenting with new ways to do stuff.  I guess there is not much tension put on a cable for a trunk release.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.