FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2014 6:35 PM  #1

New 70 proportioning valve weeping

Hi, i am new to the site, and just have a couple questions. Currently I just got done putting the mustang steve gt brake setup on my 71 torino, and have two questions.
1. The new 70 portioning valve is leaking or weeping  from under the nut and copper washer that is the threaded in from the factory, this goes to the front drivers side. It only weeps after the pedal is pressed a few times and pressure is up, I have tried to tighten the nut but seems to be dang tight and it does not budge.  Has anyone seen this before?

2. Is it normal for the brake pedal to push down a 1 1/2" before I feel pressure on the brake pedal, and the pedal gets very firm at 2" of travel and feels great from there on out. Or should I have pedal more immediately like after 1/2" of pedal travel?  The pedal does not pump up and does not act like it has air in the system, just wondering if this is normal pedal.

I'am waiting on my new wheels so I have not actually taken it out and tried it but will probably  wait till the weeping brake fluid thing is fixed. The brakes look great and I have gotten a lot of great ideas from this site.

4/21/2014 6:46 PM  #2

Re: New 70 proportioning valve weeping

If you got that valve from me, I will replace it with a new one. 

On my 66, with Cobra 4-wheel discs and my power brake conversion, I have 2" total brake pedal travel, with braking beginning within 1/2" of the first movement of the pedal.
You MIGHT have to get the pads bedded in before you get that kind of pedal, but you should have quicker braking than what you have. 

Normally the symptom you describe is cause by either air in the system, or by the booster output shaft not being adjuted properly.  Adjust it until you have about 0.010" clearance between the output shaft and the piston in the master cylinder.  Easiest way to adjust it is to make it too long where the MC rocks on the rod when you try to install the MC.  Then back off a small amount at a time until the mc just fits without rocking.  That should get you the proper adjustment.  Hold the MC firmly against the booster when checking to see if it rocks or not.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/21/2014 6:57 PM  #3

Re: New 70 proportioning valve weeping

Yes Steve I did get proportioning valve along with brackets and m/cylinder from you last fall, I thought I could tighten the nut on the proportioning valve but it is very tight.
My setup is manual disc drum, You may be right about bedding the brakes, but it looks like I will be bleeding everything again anyways.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.