FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2014 6:58 PM  #1

hood prep

So I have been going at the underside of my hood for the better part of the day, am able to remove most of the old yellow/green paint no problem with this wire wheel. However, there is this red paint (I am assuming it is some sort of primer) that just does not want to part with the hood~? I really dont think I need to go all the way to the metal on the underside of the hood, or do I?
Also, on the front corner of the hood, there is a dent that makes the front lip of the hood "turn down", and this area is backed by hood member support, so It might make it hard to fix? Would a good body guy be able to fix this in spite of this, or maybe be able to bondo it back into shape?  Bondo the wonder drug.

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/22/2014 7:23 PM  #2

Re: hood prep

Oh, here is a picture since we are mostly visual :

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/22/2014 8:53 PM  #3

Re: hood prep

Well for starters QUIT IT!, with that wire wheel. If you get the metal too hot you'll put waves in it. A faster and safer way too remove old paint from flat panels like this is ah scotch bright pad on an angle grinder. I get mine from Harbor frieght. As for preping the bottom of your hood for paint, if there's no rust or dents to deal with. Then all your looking to do is smooth it out so you can prime it. Ah lite sanding or just ah scuff pad is all it should really need.

It's hard to type "funny"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.