FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2014 9:13 AM  #1

tie rod ends 65 mustang

could anyone please help with an issue im having. I have a 1965 mustang and at some point a v8 was added as well as a Granada front end. I needed an alignment done so I took it to the local shop and they also replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends, with mustang parts not Granada. dumb question but now I am experiencing really bad, bumb steering that about ran me off the road. I took the car back to the shop and they said I need a bumb steering kit but its pretty expensive. can anyone give me some of their wisdom please.

4/24/2014 10:39 AM  #2

Re: tie rod ends 65 mustang

Apparently it wasn't bump steering before the alignment...or at least not badly.  Why not just replace the tie rod ends with what was there before (Granada?) and have it aligned by someone who knows what they are doing (hard to find these days).

Or if you are able, do some research here and on line, buy a couple of not terrible expensive tools, and align it your-own-self.  It's not really that difficult, you get to learn some things, and the job gets done correctly.  Also, you get to roll around on the garage floor and become more intimate with your Mustang...always a good thing.

Oh, and welcome to the best place on the web. 

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/24/2014 10:42 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/24/2014 3:43 PM  #3

Thanks for helping me. I took a look at the new outer tie rods that the tire shop put on and they look identical to the granada ones that were previously on the car so is it possible that the studs that bolt onto the spindle is the wrong size even though they seem to tighten down well.

4/24/2014 4:10 PM  #4

If they used Mustang ends you probably need these,
http://www.mustangsteve.com/tierodbushings.html

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

4/24/2014 4:21 PM  #5

Tie rod end adapters. I can sure try them out. Should be cheaper then a bumb steer kit. I will look over that link you sent me and make an order. Thank you again

4/24/2014 4:31 PM  #6

Would I have to use these adapters on both the outer and inner tie rods since all four have been replaced

4/24/2014 4:58 PM  #7

Checking those tie rods is a very good idea, as suggested above!   However, if they used actual Mustang tie rods without the adaptors, I would still bet they did the ole "adjust the caster by loosening the strut rods" trick.      I bet your squiggly issues are mainly due to loose strut rods.   However, I must state again, there is a taper difference in Mustang and Granada tie rod ends.   

Good luck!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/24/2014 9:53 PM  #8

Hold the phone...  Does your car have V8 steering linkage or the I-6 steering linkage?  It sounds like you have the I-6 linkage, because it automatically induces a TON of bumpsteer into the system when Granada spindles are installed.  Even the V8 steering linkage does that, but not to the extreme like the six cylinder stuff.  To see which you have, look at the pitman arm coming off the steering box.  If it has three connection points, including where it connects to the box shaft, it is six cylinder.  Two connection points would be V8.  Also need to know if power steering or manual.

Tell us what you have, and we can give answers that might help.

There is no way to correct the bumpsteer with any KIT on either one, using those spindles.  V8 steering linkage is the only hope to get it tolerable.

And as mentioned by another FYIFORDer, sometimes the shops try to adjust caster by loosening the strut rod nuts, which just makes things looser.  They are not adjustable.

Check out the tie rod adapter page on my web site for more info.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/25/2014 9:59 AM  #9

The car is still currently at the tire shop they can't figure it out. I did mention the tie rod end adapters.  I will try to go look at it and see what type of steering linkage it has. I was told by the previous owner that everything steering wise is off a 65 granada. I will take a closer look. Thanks again

4/26/2014 12:40 PM  #10

There's your problem.  Just because stuff bolts up doesn't mean it works right.  You need to compare the parts you have to some V8 Mustang parts to see what is different.  It is probably better than having six cylinder parts though, as far as geometry.

5/12/2014 1:32 PM  #11

ok guys im back, sorry it took so long. the tire shop went on steves mustang and ordered the mustang adapters that fit the outer tie rod ends, that then fit into the Granada spindle. I picked up the car today and drove it for not even 4 blocks and the steering was just as bad as before. they think now that because I had an alignment done that the spring height could be causing this problem. the car does sit higher now for some reason, any ideas ?

5/12/2014 3:44 PM  #12

You need to know if it has 6 cylinder Mustang steering linkage or if it has V8 Mustang steering linkage or if it has Granada steering linkage.

If it has the six cylinder linkage, it is going to have severe bumpsteer.  The best you can do with the Granada spindles is to have all 65-66 Mustang V8 steering linkage.  I would think if it has Granada steering linkage, it is going to be alot worse than the six cylinder stuff.

I need to know what you have in order to help any further.  Some pictures would be a good start.

Granada spindles will not make the car's ride height any higher than stock spindles.

What have you done to the suspension since you bought the car?

5/12/2014 7:23 PM  #13

ok I took some pics of the mustang, I called the old owner again, this time he said he wasn't for sure if the tie rod ends are Granada or mustang, he thinks Granada. the spindles and brakes are defiantly Granada so he says. here are the links for the pics I took

http://i59.tinypic.com/8xn9s4.jpg, http://i62.tinypic.com/xo1mkx.jpg, http://i58.tinypic.com/nnk11e.jpg, http://i58.tinypic.com/2cqeg5t.jpg

5/12/2014 8:45 PM  #14

I got no pics with that link.  How about just posting the pics here using the Upload Image feature in the lower right hand corner of the text box?
If it had Granada tie rods, there would have been no reason to use any adapters.

5/13/2014 7:04 AM  #15

im not sure why its not working ive tried the upload pic tab and its not working right. im stumped. If you have a personal email I could send them to you or even text. the previous owner said he knows the spindles are from a Granada  but isn't sure if he replaced the tie rod ends with Granada or not. Not knowing this a the time I put mustang tie rods on and they didn't work, so then I used the adapters to fit the Granada, they didn't work, had an alignment done twice one it, still not working.

5/13/2014 2:17 PM  #16

You need to figure out if it is 6 cylinder or V8 steering linkage.  What is the 5th digit of the VIN.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.