FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2014 10:19 PM  #1

Got a little cocky, and then occasion for humility hits me...

Changed a PS pump on my Taurus, replaced plugs and wires, changed rotors and pads, changed rear pads on my 08 Sequoia, all going well. I'm feeling like a damn mechanic! Time for the Mustang's first oil change after the rebuild.  I remove the valve cover breather, drain the oil, remove the oil filter, replace the filter and plug, add 5 quarts of GTX 10W-30, and 6 oz of Revive oil modifier, and go to check the oil level, because I'm pretty sure that Boss pan needs closer to 6 quarts.  Only then, did I realize I didn't have a dip stick.  In fact, I didn't have a dip stick tube!  I'm amazed that I wasn't spewing oil out the front cover.  Shear luck I didn't screw something up seriously.   I can't even find the tube at my place, which means it's probably at Bill's place. Such a NOOB move!  I'm no mechanic!

Oops!

4/24/2014 10:24 PM  #2

Re: Got a little cocky, and then occasion for humility hits me...

Its gonna be alllll right!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/24/2014 11:12 PM  #3

If you've worked on cars for a while all of us have made dumb mistakes!!! As long as oil is in the pan, your OK

4/25/2014 6:34 AM  #4

Just take one of those little pills the doc gave you.  Like Sal says...it'll be alright.  And Howard is right, better to forget the tube than the oil.

Sure glad I ain't the only one.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/25/2014 6:35 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/25/2014 6:52 AM  #5

I've told this story here before.
Changing the oil in a 93 Dakota around 1999.

Drained the oil, went in to the shop to look for a filter wrench, my wife ran out of the house with my 9 yr. old daughter and said she needed to run her to school, about a mile and a half away.

I waved, went back to the filter wrench search, turned around and saw the pan of oil on the driveway......
She came home, I finished the job and put well over 100k miles on the truck after it being driven 3 miles with no oil.
While she was gone, it was the longest three miles I ever sat through.

4/25/2014 7:26 AM  #6

Daarren, you need to eat more. Anyone that can fit under a vehicle without a jack, is too skinney!

4/25/2014 8:13 AM  #7

Hey I gotta call BS on this last post.  Im probably the "biggest" guy on this forum, or at least in the bash pictures.   I can change the oil in my Jeep without a jack, and its all stock.   LOL

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/25/2014 12:36 PM  #8

I actually have to say you are doing it better than a lot of folks!
Think about it... as long as you have pressure, do you REALLY need to know how much oil is in there?

I say you are better off. One less thing to look at and worry about.
BobN

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.