FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2014 8:42 PM  #1

Starting the T5 conversion for my 65 FB - need advice

Well, I just picked up a T5 out of a 92 Mustang that I intend to transplant in my 65 FB, which now has a toploader.  Just got the transmission - no bellhousing or shifter.  I've been studying up on the conversion but could use some advice:

Is the motor plate necessary?

Do folks prefer to use the later model bellhousing, or an adapter for the original bellhousing?  If the later model bellhousing is the way to go, what years are compatible?

Has anyone made their own crossmember and if so, can you provide any advice and/or measurements?

What shifter is preferred and can it be adapted to an original shifter?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/25/2014 9:14 PM  #2

Re: Starting the T5 conversion for my 65 FB - need advice

jkordzi wrote:

Do folks prefer to use the later model bellhousing, or an adapter for the original bellhousing?  If the later model bellhousing is the way to go, what years are compatible?

I got this one.

I prefer the T5 bell rather than the plate. I had an adapter plate on my Mustang and I had problems with it. The OEM Ford bellhousing did not have tight enough tolerances for the T5 and I ended up causing issues with the pilot bearing.  Afterwords I found out this is fairly common and that guys were having to use a dial indicator and shim their adapter plates to get the OEM bellhousing in specs tight enough for a T5.  That is why I swapped out for a T5 specific bellhousing and never looked back.  in fact both of my cars are running that set up.  you need a 5.0 T5 bell up to 1993.  Another advantage of the T5 bell is you can use the 93 starter which is an OEM gear reduction.  More expensive than a normal starter but cheeper than an aftermarket gear reduction starter.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/25/2014 9:19 PM  #3

Daze wrote:

jkordzi wrote:

I got this one.

I prefer the T5 bell rather than the plate. I had an adapter plate on my Mustang and I had problems with it. The OEM Ford bellhousing did not have tight enough tolerances for the T5 and I ended up causing issues with the pilot bearing.  Afterwords I found out this is fairly common and that guys were having to use a dial indicator and shim their adapter plates to get the OEM bellhousing in specs tight enough for a T5.  That is why I swapped out for a T5 specific bellhousing and never looked back.  in fact both of my cars are running that set up.  you need a 5.0 T5 bell up to 1993.  Another advantage of the T5 bell is you can use the 93 starter which is an OEM gear reduction.  More expensive than a normal starter but cheeper than an aftermarket gear reduction starter.

Thanks Day - do I need the motor plate?  What did you do for a crossmember?

4/25/2014 9:50 PM  #4

jkordzi wrote:

Thanks Day - do I need the motor plate?  What did you do for a crossmember?

Are you talking about the backing plate??  if so yes other wise the bottom half of your clutch and flywheel will be exposed to dirt water, oil and other sludge form driving.  On my Mustang I was given an aftermarket crossmember.  Worked OK but I had to modify it.  On my Galaxie I made my own.  Contact Glen at www.rosehillperformanceparts.com  He is a regular here, is a T5 expert AND sells a fantastic crossmember he designed and builds himself.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/25/2014 9:50 PM  #5

You need the T5 bell and the T5 block plate.  See my website FAQ page.  I have an article there that lists everything you have to do to install the T5.  I have crossmembers if you don't want to mess with making your own, but I applaud those who can do it themselves.  See the cable clutch page while you are on the site.
You will need a diaphragm type pressure plate and a 157 tooth flywheel.  If you use an early 289 flywheel, you must use a starter for an early manual transmission. The automatic or later model 5.0 starters will not work with an early 289 flywheel.  If your engine is an early 289 or 302 (early being pre-1982) you have to have the 28 ounce flywheel.  Later 5.0s like the 92 used a 50 ounce that will not work with early engines.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/25/2014 9:55 PM  #6

Gonna need the block plate because that's what the starter bolts to. I GUESS you COULD just shim it...butt why?!
You can modify your tranny support(I did) butt-eye made about a dozen trips out/under the car making the mods. EZier (butt-mower expensive) to just buy one from Mustangs Unl. or one of the rest. I just like to modify my own stuff.......that's why they call it "hot-rodding"!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/26/2014 7:51 AM  #7

6sally6 wrote:

Gonna need the block plate because that's what the starter bolts to. I GUESS you COULD just shim it...butt why?!
You can modify your tranny support(I did) butt-eye made about a dozen trips out/under the car making the mods. EZier (butt-mower expensive) to just buy one from Mustangs Unl. or one of the rest. I just like to modify my own stuff.......that's why they call it "hot-rodding"!
6sal6

Thanks.  Would you basically describe how you modified your crossmember?  Did you just cut out the entire center section and then fabricate a platform for the T5.  How did you ensure the T5 was at the right angle?

4/26/2014 8:45 AM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

You need the T5 bell and the T5 block plate.  See my website FAQ page.  I have an article there that lists everything you have to do to install the T5.  I have crossmembers if you don't want to mess with making your own, but I applaud those who can do it themselves.  See the cable clutch page while you are on the site.
You will need a diaphragm type pressure plate and a 157 tooth flywheel.  If you use an early 289 flywheel, you must use a starter for an early manual transmission. The automatic or later model 5.0 starters will not work with an early 289 flywheel.  If your engine is an early 289 or 302 (early being pre-1982) you have to have the 28 ounce flywheel.  Later 5.0s like the 92 used a 50 ounce that will not work with early engines.

Thanks Steve. I saw your FAQ states that I'll need a 157 tooth 5.0 flywheel rebalanced for the 28oz 289/302/351W balance, along with the new pressure plate.  Is it possible to use my original 157 tooth flywheel and pressure plate?  Also, are the "roll pins that index the pressure plate to the flywheel" that you mention for the 5.0 flywheel setup and not needed if I use my original flywheel setup?

Last edited by jkordzi (4/26/2014 8:46 AM)

4/26/2014 8:54 AM  #9

The easiest way to do it is to cut the OEM mount into three pieces with the middle section being wide enough to get past the transmission body.  Then put the transmission in and get it where you want it.  T5s are a little taller and tend to hang down a little lower than would be ideal.  The best option is to position it so the the tail is as high as it can be without contacting the transmission tunnel.  Bolt the tree pieces in place, you may need to modify the side pieces to clear the transmission and or hang down the way you want them. Then use steel and a welder to bridge the gap between the pieces.

4/26/2014 8:59 AM  #10

jkordzi wrote:

Is it possible to use my original 157 tooth flywheel and pressure plate?  Also, are the "roll pins that index the pressure plate to the flywheel" that you mention for the 5.0 flywheel setup and not needed if I use my original flywheel setup?

You can BUT even though it is extra $$ I would go with a modern diaphram type clutch and corrisponding parts.  The 5.0 Mustang has tones of clutch options.  How do you plan on actuationg the clutch??  if you go with a cable or hydraulic clutch a diapream clutch is required at which point you will need to upgrade all of that stuff anyway.  The pins are needed on the modern stuf but much of the older stuff does not use them.  They are well woth it as they keep things ligned up correctly.

4/26/2014 11:32 AM  #11

Daze wrote:

The easiest way to do it is to cut the OEM mount into three pieces with the middle section being wide enough to get past the transmission body.  Then put the transmission in and get it where you want it.  T5s are a little taller and tend to hang down a little lower than would be ideal.  The best option is to position it so the the tail is as high as it can be without contacting the transmission tunnel.  Bolt the tree pieces in place, you may need to modify the side pieces to clear the transmission and or hang down the way you want them. Then use steel and a welder to bridge the gap between the pieces.

X-2!  I didn't worry too much about maintaining a gap  between the trans and the tunnel.
So it viberrrrateeees.so what!
Really...mine is hard up against the tunnel with no adverse effects. Like I said...it's a hot-rod!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/26/2014 12:36 PM  #12

Any engine or transmission part that is hard against any body parts, or near enough so it hits occasionally, will cause a whole lot of vibration and noise.  IF you intend to have a car you can enjoy driving comfortably,you will certainly want to do it right.  If you have dillusions of driving a race car all the time, what the heck... You don't need a five speed because a four speed would make more noise at cruise speed, right?  And less hassle to install.

There are several ways to assemble a car, and you can usually tell which ones were done a certain way, and which ones were done another way.  Whichever one you like is your choice.  Personally, I prefer everything to work as it should.

You can use the original 157 tooth flywheel but you will have to run a 10" diaphragm clutch with it, unless you have it redrilled for a 10.5" Fox Mustang type diaphragm clutch.  If you use the original flywheel, use the original starter, but the T5 bell and block plate.  That FAQ article was written many years ago and now you have more flywheel choices for reasonable amounts.  TMD sells a nice billet one with 157 teeth and 28 ounce balance, drilled for the 10.5" clutch.  Not sure which starter it uses.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/26/2014 12:44 PM  #13

Hey thanks everyone!  I guess the next thing I need is to find a 5.0 flywheel with a 28 oz balance, 10.5" clutch and pressure plate, engine plate, clutch actuator, starter, and shifter. 

I'm going to try to make a hydraulic clutch and power brakes work if I can, so I still have a lot more to go.

Last edited by jkordzi (4/26/2014 12:47 PM)

4/26/2014 1:54 PM  #14

jkordzi wrote:

I'm going to try to make a hydraulic clutch and power brakes work if I can, so I still have a lot more to go.

If you have any questions or problems getting your own hydraulic set up going  shoot me an email. I am well versed on hydraulic clutches (I sell a kit I designed) and would be happy to help you in any way I can.   Not trying to sell parts but rather offer any technical support I can for your project.

4/26/2014 2:08 PM  #15

A fairly easy way to get your driveline angle close is to measure from the centerline of the output yoke up to the transmission tunnel on your current transmission.  This is your target for the T5 - rasie the tail end until you have the same dimension and you have duplicated what you already have and you can do this before you make or install a new crossmember to see what does or doesn't hit.  If you read Tremec install directions carefully (and follow them) they stress the importance of not making a cantileved mount/crossmember.  With a cantilever, you put the crossmember into torsion and it is much weaker in twisting.  This can be a big cause of driveline vibration.

I seem to remember 3.25" was the centerline dimension for my setup but there is enough variation between cars, motor mounts, etc. that you should measure your current setup.

4/26/2014 2:19 PM  #16

GPatrick wrote:

A fairly easy way to get your driveline angle close is to measure from the centerline of the output yoke up to the transmission tunnel on your current transmission.  This is your target for the T5 - rasie the tail end until you have the same dimension and you have duplicated what you already have and you can do this before you make or install a new crossmember to see what does or doesn't hit.

I agree that is the best way to do it however with a t5 in a classic mustang that will not work. The T5 is a lot taller than the stock transmissions used in a mustang.  Even if the T5 comes in contact with the tunnel it will still probably not be high enough at the tail shaft. (Depending on how the engine is mounted). So the best option is to get it as high as you can with out having it touch.

4/26/2014 2:54 PM  #17

And I thought it was only the TKO that didn't fit.  Anyone know what the typical driveline angle is after a T5 install with no mods or percussion?

4/26/2014 3:44 PM  #18

GPatrick wrote:

And I thought it was only the TKO that didn't fit.  Anyone know what the typical driveline angle is after a T5 install with no mods or percussion?

You are correct the TKO does require tunnel mod. A stock tranny is about 3 degrees down a t5 is closer to 5. A little off but workable in most cases. Some people need to shim their rear end up to eliminate vibration but in most cases if you put it as high as you can it works fine.

4/27/2014 6:54 AM  #19

FYI on the your search for a T-5 bellhousing.......make sure  you pay attention for any stripped threads ie: the four that bolt to the trans......AMHIK......

4/28/2014 12:01 PM  #20

Daze wrote:

GPatrick wrote:

You are correct the TKO does require tunnel mod. A stock tranny is about 3 degrees down a t5 is closer to 5. A little off but workable in most cases. Some people need to shim their rear end up to eliminate vibration but in most cases if you put it as high as you can it works fine.

When I got the T5 in the Mach.... Using the Toploader Lakewood Scatter shield and T5 adapter plate (it fits really tight on the lakewood) I ended up with a -3 degree angle on the trans. My diff was sitting at 0, so I finally put in 2.5 degree shims on the rearend and no more vibrations... They weren't Good Vibrations to begin with...

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/28/2014 5:27 PM  #21

that should have been about perfect.  3 degrees down is stock so to get the T5 to do that is fantastic.  The 0 pinion angle is also normal because pinion wrap usually accounts for about 3 degrees.  In other words the pinion typically torques up three degrees when torque is applied.  Do you have something special set up with the suspension to help eliminate axle wrap??

4/28/2014 5:55 PM  #22

I am running the 5 1/2 rear leaf springs. Don't even need traction bars when I run slicks... No Wheel Hop. The Pinion Angle shims are working awesome...

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.