FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2014 8:00 AM  #1

65-...headlight relay upgrade...headlight socket terminals

Hey Guys/Gals. Wanted to pass on some part info related to the headlight upgrade on these old cars. I found the headlight plug  terminals that accept 10-12 gage wire that fit the H6014, H6017, H6024 bulbs
p/n: RC18690 from the repair connector store.
   http://www.repairconnector.com/search.php?search_query=RC18690&x=0&y=0
 I tried to add this to what I thought would be in the how to/tips section, but didn't see it...just the long post in the old forum.
Here is one link, but I know there are others I've ran across with diagrams too, I thought MustangSteve even had one with a better diagram.
http://midlife66.com/wiring/halrelays.html
This should be added to the tips/how to section...but not sure of the rules on getting stuff from other sites and posting them in a topic in that section...kinda like I did here.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

4/29/2014 9:23 AM  #2

Re: 65-...headlight relay upgrade...headlight socket terminals

Not sure why so many people want to cut into their original harness to install relays.  To do it right you still ought to run new, larger gauge wires out to the headlights.  Why not just back feed the relays from one of the original headlight sockets, then construct a simple new harness back out to the headlights.  You can tie wrap the new harness across the original one, across the radiator support and you never even know it's there.

Just my anality for trying to keep things original, where practical.

4/29/2014 9:57 AM  #3

Hate piling on but I agree with Boomyal.   I bought something similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Ceramic/dp/B00H5JFHR0

Simple plug and play

4/29/2014 10:07 AM  #4

boomyal wrote:

Not sure why so many people want to cut into their original harness to install relays.  To do it right you still ought to run new, larger gauge wires out to the headlights.  Why not just back feed the relays from one of the original headlight sockets, then construct a simple new harness back out to the headlights.  You can tie wrap the new harness across the original one, across the radiator support and you never even know it's there.

Just my anality for trying to keep things original, where practical.

Many of us are still sorta intimidated about "lectricity" and how it works....... Easier(in our febble brains) for us to understand to just "patch in" a new section with relays(what-thu...is a Relay?!!) wires ,sockets and crap than to just semi redesign  the light system.
  When we get more useta wiring...then we become braver!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/29/2014 10:22 AM  #5

gjz30075 wrote:

Hate piling on but I agree with Boomyal.   I bought something similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Ceramic/dp/B00H5JFHR0

Simple plug and play

That is a good looking kit and you cannot buy the components for the same price. Prices have come down, a couple of years ago a similar kit from a "name" supplier was about $80.  The only drawback is all the extra wire you have to integrate into the existing wire looms.  You do still have to make a power connection to the battery.

4/29/2014 11:15 AM  #6

Hornman wrote:

...... You do still have to make a power connection to the battery.......

That is why I mounted my relays over by the starter solenoid.  Budda Bing, direct connection to the battery.  I back fed the relays from the right headlight socket using a reverse headlight connector plug.  I had 12 ga wire on hand so my total cost was less than buying a harness alone.....and my harness custom fit the car.

Last edited by boomyal (4/29/2014 1:19 PM)

4/29/2014 2:56 PM  #7

Nice set up Boomyal. My car was a 6 cyl car that already had a diff rearend, T-5 tranny, 351W, and front disk brakes in it when I bought it. Floodgates were already open as far as modding the car to make it drive better, be a safer car, more comfortable ect. Sometimes you run across particular stuff on line for your project and this was the case with these contacts so you can upgrade the headlight wiring to 12 gage from socket to relay if you want. That $50 harness kit is a cheap alternative though.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.