FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2014 2:27 PM  #1

Efficacy of new front suspension...?

So as I am dissambeling my front end and looking at all these 50 yr. old suspension parts, I wonder if there is a NEED to replace things like control arms, springs, steering components, or will the parts in place "work for now"? I do plan on upgrading the brake system for sure, but I see all these other parts that I could justify making new. Its all a matter of time and money....

This is like what another member told me on another past, " once you get in there, you do one upgrade, then say well since I am here I might as well replace..." where do you draw a the line?

Obviousley, if I see upon inspection something is broken or worn out and I deem it unsafe, I will replace it, but as money permits I would like to leave a lot of it for down the road where it is a little further down on the priority list.

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/29/2014 2:52 PM  #2

Re: Efficacy of new front suspension...?

If you still have the original suspension in there, virtually everything that moves, twists, or turns will be worn making the steering sloppy.  Many of those worn parts can be replaced while keeping things like the a-arms, strut rods, etc.  Spring perches need fixing too.  Daze and others sell a roller version that really smooths out the ride.

There are kits that contain all of the proper parts for the rebuild.  The rule is if it moves replace it, if it does not, keep it.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/29/2014 2:57 PM  #3

The decision to replace was easy for me as I converted from a 6cyl to a 8 so I changed everything. You pretty much summed it up when you said "50 year old parts". Supprisingly enough it isn't terribly expensive to change everything and the piece of mind is well worth it. If you are concerned enough about safety to up grade the brakes you should certainly do the steering/suspension overhaul. Before you start consult Steve's how to page and by all means ask the members of this forum.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/29/2014 7:47 PM  #4

I prefer to keep the original upper control arms because the replacements are not as good.  Talking OEM style parts here...  Just rebuild all the wear parts or anything broken or severely rusted.

See my FAQ page for method to rebuild the control arms.  One company liked my groove idea so much they incorporated it into the rebuild kits.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/30/2014 10:11 AM  #5

I agree with BillyC. All of those front end parts are relatively inexpencive. Plan to change them all at the same time so you wont have  to deal with individual failures of the parts you didnt replace. Plus it just makes everything " tighter". My 2 cents. 

4/30/2014 12:02 PM  #6

Concensus is to replace any moving parts, and potentially keep UCA, and LCA? I guess I will have to make a list of things needed, I have not had a lot of luck finding a list of parts in FAQ's? I have seen a lot of replacement parts on E-Bay, but I dont think I need the whole set up.

So I will give it an inspection this weekend when I am off work, hope to finish pulling the motor/trans and start cleaning the engine bay/under fender areas, probablly start with some degreaser and a steam pressure washer and go from there.I will inspect everything then, but I want to keep the wheels on for now to be able to movie it around if needed.

I will look a little harder for a list of components for the suspension upgrade, and maybe contact daze about the "roller perches". 
Thanks Yall

4/30/2014 3:38 PM  #7

Roller perchs are nice butt...not a "gotta-have". I have some and I GUESS they work better than the originals(the science of it.....seems to indicate an improvement.) REBUILD the upper arms and replace the lowers. I prefer Moog parts. NOW would be the time to get lowering springs or cut a coil out of yours. Shocks. Do the Shelby drop (check Daze...a member on FYI)...he as the numbers and the template to drill new holes. Afterward...re-align the front end using the new specs(also on Daze page)
Check the center link....idler arm and tie rod ends. IF they are loose...replace.... Pitman arm too! If you want the high dollar improved pitman arm...NOW is a good time to spend the buck$. One piece export bar and a Monte Carlo bar are needed items to improve handleing. Trick bars and chrome stuff are availible for a "nominal-extra fee". One thing that really helped my steering (manual)was remove the inspection plug on top of the steering box......and fill it with grease. It took a LOT for mine butt......really tightened up the feel. 
Need front disc brakes?! NOW! is the time. I used the ScareBird brackets and ordered the stuff from Rock Auto. MS has disc brake stuff too.
Too.....if you want the BIG brakes and 17" tarz...MS can "hook-you-up" or  Mustangs Unltd....etc. NOW is the time.
Naturally new wheel bearings and grease
That should be most of the stuff............most available from local parts stores or Mustang specialty places.
When it finished...........should drive as well as most new cars. A big improvement over the worn out 50 year tech that's on it now.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/01/2014 9:07 AM  #8

Awesome, thanks thats pretty informative 6Sally6, kinda gives me a list to draw from, I will try not to be to overwhelmed!
 I will get out there today and try to remove that motor/tranny, I was out there this morning and started working on the bolts and found them to be pretty darn loose, I guess I was not expecting that.... I guess all that oil in that area was a good way to keep things lubed up!
I will also post a few pics since we all know w/o pics "it never happened", and I can take a picture of the rusted battery area as well, thanks!

5/01/2014 12:54 PM  #9

I'll have a set of Roller Spring Perches for you in a week or so.....

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

5/01/2014 5:55 PM  #10

devovino wrote:

So as I am dissambeling my front end and looking at all these 50 yr. old suspension parts, I wonder if there is a NEED to replace things like control arms, springs, steering components, or will the parts in place "work for now"? I do plan on upgrading the brake system for sure, but I see all these other parts that I could justify making new. Its all a matter of time and money....

This is like what another member told me on another past, " once you get in there, you do one upgrade, then say well since I am here I might as well replace..." where do you draw a the line?

Obviousley, if I see upon inspection something is broken or worn out and I deem it unsafe, I will replace it, but as money permits I would like to leave a lot of it for down the road where it is a little further down on the priority list.

Unfortunately, when you buy a 50 year old car,  you have no idea if the parts on the car are the right year mustang parts or the right parts period for that car.  Many years of Previous owners that put anything on there that they had lying around the house or got cheap at the local junkyard.  I found Galaxie spindles on my 66 mustang when I looked up the numbers on them, and engine mounts that were reversed to make room for  a  68 302 with a FMX trans to fit in it.  I found a dual exhaust system was installed on my car that originally had single exhaust,  and it burned a hole right thru my rear brake hose one night while driving it, and I had no brakes..   You have no idea what anybody had done to the car in 50 years was done right.  There is no shortcut here to a safe reliable vehicle.  I think its very dangerous to just start driving it, and hope for the best.  I wound up spending huge dollars on the car, and alot of time,  only to eventually learn the rust repair that was needed on the vehicle was so intensive, that it wasn't worth fixing that vehicle, and actually cheaper to look for a whole other car with a good frame.  There's just too many unknown variables.  Strip the car down, do the body first, because thats the money pit. Then go from there.  Thats what every restoration show on TV thats worth anything will do.   

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

5/02/2014 8:55 AM  #11

MarkinSC wrote:

devovino wrote:

Unfortunately, when you buy a 50 year old car,  you have no idea if the parts on the car are the right year mustang parts or the right parts period for that car.  Many years of Previous owners that put anything on there that they had lying around the house or got cheap at the local junkyard.  I found Galaxie spindles on my 66 mustang when I looked up the numbers on them, and engine mounts that were reversed to make room for  a  68 302 with a FMX trans to fit in it.  I found a dual exhaust system was installed on my car that originally had single exhaust,  and it burned a hole right thru my rear brake hose one night while driving it, and I had no brakes..   You have no idea what anybody had done to the car in 50 years was done right.  There is no shortcut here to a safe reliable vehicle.  I think its very dangerous to just start driving it, and hope for the best.  I wound up spending huge dollars on the car, and alot of time,  only to eventually learn the rust repair that was needed on the vehicle was so intensive, that it wasn't worth fixing that vehicle, and actually cheaper to look for a whole other car with a good frame.  There's just too many unknown variables.  Strip the car down, do the body first, because thats the money pit. Then go from there.  Thats what every restoration show on TV thats worth anything will do.   

As always, sound advise and this is the reason for me joining this forum, to be able to learn from others experiences, and take advise from thos who have been there before me. I initially thought " oh yeah, lets just pop a new motor in and be off and running"!! After digging into this project, my initial time line has changed significantly, just out of pure nescessity and safety standpoint.

Thankfully, from what I have seen/discovered the body and frame is really solid thanks to the many dry days the car has had in California, but this does not change the fact that everything else need attention, so I have a lot of work ahead of me. I might have to get out there today and un-winterize the boat justt to hear a motor run ( 454 PCM) to give me a little motivation!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.