FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2014 10:37 AM  #1

Ride quality report on the new Grabatrack 4.5 leaf reverse eye springs

You can tell when something is working perfectly because you do not notice it being there.  That is the way I would describe the 4.5 leaf reverese eye springs.  Perfect.  No axle wrap up and surprisingly, the car now goes in a straight line when I nail it instead of heading towards some direction that does not include pavement.  They are not too harsh and the ride height is perfect.  With the 245x45ZR17 tires, the top of the tire will be exactly even with the top of the quarter panel wheel arch.  Sherry even approved the ride quality so they have to be good!  Now I am hoping they do not settle any more or I will wish I had gotten the mid-eye version.

Right now I have 1" lowering blocks in place, and those will be coming out soon.  Only reason I used them is because I offset the pin in them to move the rear end 3/16" sideways to get it perfectly centered under the car. 
I will remove them and cut off the axle perches from the rear axle and weld on some new ones at the correct angle (this is a Versailles rear end and it has too much upward pinion angle built in).

Bullet, this is on a 66 fastback with a Versailles 9" rear end, and it has single speed windshield wipers and grey spark plug wires.  Radio is tuned to 92.5 FM.  Tell me about how much warpage you got in the rear end you just got through narrowing, and how you got rid of the problem.

Last edited by MustangSteve (5/04/2014 10:47 AM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/04/2014 10:57 AM  #2

Re: Ride quality report on the new Grabatrack 4.5 leaf reverse eye springs

5/04/2014 11:01 AM  #3

5/04/2014 11:38 AM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

You can tell when something is working perfectly because you do not notice it being there.  That is the way I would describe the 4.5 leaf reverese eye springs.  Perfect.  No axle wrap up and surprisingly, the car now goes in a straight line when I nail it instead of heading towards some direction that does not include pavement.  They are not too harsh and the ride height is perfect.  With the 245x45ZR17 tires, the top of the tire will be exactly even with the top of the quarter panel wheel arch.  Sherry even approved the ride quality so they have to be good!  Now I am hoping they do not settle any more or I will wish I had gotten the mid-eye version.

Right now I have 1" lowering blocks in place, and those will be coming out soon.  Only reason I used them is because I offset the pin in them to move the rear end 3/16" sideways to get it perfectly centered under the car. 
I will remove them and cut off the axle perches from the rear axle and weld on some new ones at the correct angle (this is a Versailles rear end and it has too much upward pinion angle built in).

Bullet, this is on a 66 fastback with a Versailles 9" rear end, and it has single speed windshield wipers and grey spark plug wires.  Radio is tuned to 92.5 FM.  Tell me about how much warpage you got in the rear end you just got through narrowing, and how you got rid of the problem.

Hey MS - if you are going to switch to a two speed wiper - I have an extra two speed wiper switch out of a 67 collecting dust - garage points?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/04/2014 12:34 PM  #5

Ron, I have been hoarding one for about 20 years now, so hopefully it will work.  IF I get a round tuit.  Sun is out and the wipers are doing fine!

5/04/2014 5:00 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

Is the white one your "parts car"?!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/04/2014 6:15 PM  #7

I love the stance. Mine rides an inch higher than that with standard eye 4.5s and 1" blocks. I've driven the snout out of it since I installe them and it has not settled at all that I can tell.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

5/04/2014 8:50 PM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

Tell me about how much warpage you got in the rear end you just got through narrowing, and how you got rid of the problem.

According to my alignment tool it was very close when we started to weld.  Finishing the axle tube joint didn't change it much...if at all.  Then we welded on the 1/4" spring perches and the axle tube ends dipped over an 1/8".  This is bad as I could see that the short radius of the bend (from the perches to the axle end) had caused an obvious out of square situation. 

Next day we laid a heavy bead over the top and in line with both pearch welds on both sides and managed to pull the ends back up over a 1/16" which took out the obvious out of square condition.  Then I forced the end plugs into the axle tubes (preloading the alignment tube (1 3/4 X 1/8" wall) and heated a large oval spot  closer to the center section, on the "long" side of the tube.  When cooled, it was well within a 1/16" on both ends...close enough for the girls I date.  Since then I've cut off all the surplus weld beads with a carbide rotory file (less heat) and polished everything and laid on some primer, red stuff in a couple of low spots, and a couple coats of R-O gloss black.

During all this I managed to rotate the alignment tube about 90 degrees and all of a sudden the end plugs simply drop in.  I checked the alignment tube for a warp but it is as perfectly straight as my string and straight edge can tell.  I know it's O/R by a few thousanths...maybe .006...and with that an any warp that I can't measure, turning it the 90 degrees made the alignment appear perfect.  I'm figuring it's no more than 1/16" out....again, close enough.

Or...maybe it was the second coat of RO gloss black.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (5/04/2014 8:53 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/05/2014 7:19 AM  #9

I always used the tube down the middle like BB and heat side opposite any welding to get straight till the tube rotates and slides eaisily by hand. I use a fairly small tip on the torch and heat till I get a red look about like the size of weld on other side of tube. Then quench with water/rag. After a few attempts you get a feel for it and then it goes pretty fast. It is a little tougher though when you want some camber! Beyond the scope of this course!

5/05/2014 10:29 AM  #10

I just want to weld on some replacement perches so I can change the pinion angle.  Wondering if it is worth the risk to wind up with a warped axle.  Key is I do not want to disassemble it.

5/05/2014 2:07 PM  #11

MustangSteve wrote:

I just want to weld on some replacement perches so I can change the pinion angle.  Wondering if it is worth the risk to wind up with a warped axle.  Key is I do not want to disassemble it.

from what I've been told, if you are gonna weld on the rearend housing it needs to be bare. Don't want the fluid getting hot and errupting... Just what I've heard...

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

5/05/2014 2:29 PM  #12

Old wives tale! IF you need to get it THAT hot........something is terribly worng. Back step your welds....(run a short bead.....then run another short bead right behind the previous bead) Then jump to the other side. Cool it with air or water. Take your time.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/05/2014 2:49 PM  #13

Looks great!  Glad it is back on the road.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/05/2014 4:00 PM  #14

New pics.  Today I removed the lowering blocks.  Ride height as measure from center of wheel to fender opening,  Front 13", Rear 13-5/8".
If the front does not drop at least 1/2" on its own, I will have to take remedial action !!!!!

This is sitting higher than my car has ever been, but I am making a compromise for better ride quality and more suspension travel while touring America's highways.

5/05/2014 9:09 PM  #15

MustangSteve wrote:

New pics.  Today I removed the lowering blocks.  Ride height as measure from center of wheel to fender opening,  Front 13", Rear 13-5/8".
If the front does not drop at least 1/2" on its own, I will have to take remedial action !!!!!

This is sitting higher than my car has ever been, but I am making a compromise for better ride quality and more suspension travel while touring America's highways.

I really like the ride height the way you have it with the blocks removed. The wheel and tires fill the wheel wells very nicely. My front RH is at 12.5" but the 16's do not fill the wheel well as much. My fender gap will get larger as I move the a 50 series tire.

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

5/05/2014 11:11 PM  #16

Ride height looks darn perfect to me. Kudos!

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

5/06/2014 6:13 AM  #17

Looks Good ... I'd leave her alone. Now you have that raked look... Almost looks as good as the stance on my Mach...lol

5/06/2014 12:42 PM  #18

MustangSteve wrote:

Why not use wedges to adjust the pinion angle?  Wouldn't that avoid rewelding the perches and not affect the ride height?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

5/06/2014 1:25 PM  #19

jkordzi wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Why not use wedges to adjust the pinion angle?  Wouldn't that avoid rewelding the perches and not affect the ride height?

True you can tilt pinion Up or Down....

5/06/2014 3:43 PM  #20

I do not like adapters, and wedges fall into that category in my mind.  Same as lowering blocks, which are no longer in the equation.  I actually have a set of blocks that have a three degree taper built into them bak when I was messing around with bad pinion angle caused by installing a five speed.

5/07/2014 8:44 AM  #21

I'm really surprised you have no wrap..if memory serves, you have a 347 right?  I've got the 4.5 grab a trak mid eyes..no wheel hop, but if I nail it from a stop, the axle wraps very very bad

5/07/2014 9:07 AM  #22

jeremy, it's a 427 with 530 HP.  I do not typically dump the clutch from a dead start as the car will light up the tires at the push of the throttle at any point in first or second gear.  It does go alot straighter now that the stronger springs are in place.

I wonder if the reversed eye makes any difference in performance.

5/07/2014 1:28 PM  #23

Perhaps they do...I'm making maybe 375-400 tops at the flywheel, if I nurse it off the line, then floor it, it'll still wrap up...

that's an amazing amount of HP in a vintage mustang...Just what I have is way too much for the street.  I just got it running for the first time on this engine, and the first thing I found out, with manual steering, the car is literally like riding on a street of ice...it's absolutely impossible to counter steer with manual steering and 245's up front...now I've gotta find a way to afford my power rack and pinion conversion

Last edited by jeremy (5/07/2014 1:33 PM)

5/07/2014 2:34 PM  #24

See my post about electric power steering

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.