FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2014 7:35 PM  #1

brazing versus welding

I installed the new rear deck filler panel on my 67 fastback todaybut have a question before i can completely wrap this up.

The factory brazed the bottom rear corners and up the corner and the top 1/2" or so of the seam beteen the filler panel and the quarter panel.  Well I don;t have a torch set so I can't braze this area.  Will I have any issues or problems if I just weld this area with my mig?

Anybody replaced this panel and if so how did you handle this.

I am almost tempted to wekd the entire seam and grind it smooth and maybe thin layer of seam sealer on it or skim coat of filler.

thanks for any advice,

5/04/2014 9:09 PM  #2

Re: brazing versus welding

Brazing is known to cause paint and filler issues down the road as the flux comes through.  Not sure how the factory got around that, other than with very controlled conditions. 

My vote would be to weld it at the end where the brazing was done and then carefully grind the weld to make it look like it was brazed.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/04/2014 9:16 PM  #3

Welding it will be fine, in fact better then the factory job. These cars were all spot welded together in ah hurry. The purpose of the brazing was to make a quick, waterproof seal around the window joints. Judging by some of the ugly factory mig welds I've found on these cars, brazing was there best option

It's hard to type "funny"

5/05/2014 7:08 AM  #4

The factory folks used a specific alloy filler and a specific flux wipe to get the results. The stuff you buy for general brazing repair work ain't it! I used to use the cobalt blue welding glasses and kept several different fluxes and alloys around when I did a lot of brazing. Then I got a MIG welder. I haven't brazed in 10+ years.....guess how long I have had a MIG.

5/05/2014 12:13 PM  #5

Unless you're a purist, weld the whole thing in including the top seams...I did on my 70 Mach1....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

5/05/2014 2:11 PM  #6

If you try to mig over top of brazing you will be in a whole lot of heart ache. Unless the area is completly rid of any brass it will splatter make one ungodly mess.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/05/2014 2:24 PM  #7

Rudi wrote:

If you try to mig over top of brazing you will be in a whole lot of heart ache. Unless the area is completly rid of any brass it will splatter make one ungodly mess.

X100000!!!!!! DAHIK
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/05/2014 3:07 PM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

X100000!!!!!! DAHIK
6s6

+222222

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

5/05/2014 4:26 PM  #9

Hopefuly welding this area up will go well. The filler panel is new and I had to replace a section at the lower corners on both quarters so hopefully there is no brazing material left to cause any issues.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.