FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2014 2:51 PM  #1

windshield moulding clips

does anyone know if the windshield and rear glass moulding clips need to be installed before the glass is installed or after the glass is installed or does it matter?

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

5/05/2014 3:00 PM  #2

Re: windshield moulding clips

It dosen't really matter too much. If all your little clip posts are still intact then It mite be better to install them after the glass is in. But if your guna have to screw in ah few it would be easier to do with the glass out...Not that you couldn't srew some in WITH the glass in, it would just be easier without it in the way 

It's hard to type "funny"

5/05/2014 3:32 PM  #3

I'd rather put mine in after the glass/rubber gaskets are set in,  so you can run a bead of butyl rubber sealer between the rubber and the body and then install the clips so the sealant gets under the clips...I use a  vertical 3 or 4 inch piece of paint mixing stick to hammer the clips in... when seating the windshield trim also place a piece of paint stick on end not flat,but vertical,at the edge of the trim as close to  the car body as possible so not to dent the trim and carefully hammer the trim in....jj   

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

5/05/2014 6:05 PM  #4

Robby 13 here, i just did this and found this is THE best way. First after cleaning everything up, you must put the clips in first because the rubber gasket presses against them. Here is the procedure. clips in, put sealer, not eurathane, all the way around pinchweld, extra at the bottom the clips, then also put sealer around the gasket that will sit on the pinch weld, everybody knows the rope trick to pop the lip over the pinch weld, that is done next. Now you can squeeze some eurathane in between the rubber gasket and the glass, squeeze out the excess and thats it! If you want to fill the channel between gasket and the body, thats fine also, but not really needed. I was sceptical at first, but tried it on the worse piece of glass the mustang has, a 67 fastback back window (backlight or whatever they call it) notorious leakers!
    There is a very very good you tube instructional, this is the one i followed. It was Mustangs To Fear, it came in 2 parts, about 7 min each, but man was it worth it! Just put in Mustangs to Fear windshield install. But yes, clips in first, you'll never git them in secure if you dont! Good luck!

5/05/2014 6:16 PM  #5

Oh, by the way, on the coupe, the rear clips on top, are different than the ones on the bottom. They are longer. Also on the instructional, he shows you how to take some of the tension out of the clips so you dont have to hit them with any thing, just push with your fingers ,and snap! Do not use old clips, after all this trouble, get new ones, its worth it. There is a special tool that is used to pop the clips on, kind of looks like a screwdriver handle with a little notched blade at the end. Also very helpful. But please, i cannot expound enough, check out the video, youll be surprised!

5/05/2014 7:07 PM  #6

rtmjr13@optonline.net wrote:

Robby 13 here, i just did this and found this is THE best way. First after cleaning everything up, you must put the clips in first because the rubber gasket presses against them. Here is the procedure. clips in, put sealer, not eurathane, all the way around pinchweld, extra at the bottom the clips, then also put sealer around the gasket that will sit on the pinch weld, everybody knows the rope trick to pop the lip over the pinch weld, that is done next. Now you can squeeze some eurathane in between the rubber gasket and the glass, squeeze out the excess and thats it! If you want to fill the channel between gasket and the body, thats fine also, but not really needed. I was sceptical at first, but tried it on the worse piece of glass the mustang has, a 67 fastback back window (backlight or whatever they call it) notorious leakers!
    There is a very very good you tube instructional, this is the one i followed. It was Mustangs To Fear, it came in 2 parts, about 7 min each, but man was it worth it! Just put in Mustangs to Fear windshield install. But yes, clips in first, you'll never git them in secure if you dont! Good luck!

Actually, Robby...you are describing the perfect gooey, messy disaster,...when you install the sealant as you say on the pinchweld first and the bottom of the rubber gasket, and then do the rope trick, you are bringing all the gooey sealant inside the car and all over the headliner,...also,if you can push the clips in with your fingers...throw them out,  they're garbage...jj

Last edited by jerseyjoe (5/05/2014 7:16 PM)

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

5/06/2014 12:50 AM  #7

Hey Joe, if you place the sealer just right, and dont overdo it, it really isnt that messy, but absolutely no leaks, and again that was on the giant fast back window. And yes , if you can push the clips in with your fingers, tney are no good. What I was saying was you can push the trim on without hammering , or slamming. Just some finger pressure and, snap.The new clips are very tight , and you can de-tension them a little. Trying to put the clips on after the gasket is in, you stand a good chance of ripping , and scraping the gasket, you dont want that. In any case, check out that video  It really is worth it. I even read an install that showed tne guys install the gasket first on the pinchweld, and THEN work the glass into the gasket! That was amazing tosee. Bottom line though, whatever works for you, no leaks, thats a good thing. I learned a lot from the video, the guys name was Tom I think. Check it out, really good.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.