FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2014 4:12 PM  #1

Finally, some mufflers I can live with

These are from Summit Racing, Walker Quiet Flow series.  2-1/2" offset inlet and 2-1/2" center outlet.  Original application is a 500 cubic inch Cadillac Eldorado.  They sound pretty good !  At idle it is very noticeable.  At freeway speeds, they sound like a new, stock Mustang GT.  I LIKE IT!

Walker Quiet-Flow 3 Mufflers # 21856

They are alot longer than what is normally used on these cars, but they fit perfect using 2-1/2" pipe system.  I may have given up a few HP, but it was well worth the trade-off.  I can still light up the tires at will in 2nd gear, so I guess it will be OK.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/05/2014 5:00 PM  #2

Re: Finally, some mufflers I can live with

MustangSteve wrote:

These are from Summit Racing, Walker Quiet Flow series.  2-1/2" offset inlet and 2-1/2" center outlet.  Original application is a 500 cubic inch Cadillac Eldorado.  They sound pretty good !  At idle it is very noticeable.  At freeway speeds, they sound like a new, stock Mustang GT.  I LIKE IT!

Walker Quiet-Flow 3 Mufflers # 21856

They are alot longer than what is normally used on these cars, but they fit perfect using 2-1/2" pipe system.  I may have given up a few HP, but it was well worth the trade-off.  I can still light up the tires at will in 2nd gear, so I guess it will be OK.

Show-off!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/05/2014 5:05 PM  #3

There seem to be ten diffrent things I want all at once, quieter mufflers being one of them.  I'll be interested in some follow up to see if you can nit-pick them in a month or so.  If you're still digging them, I'm on it!  Thanks for the great info!

Lance

5/05/2014 7:28 PM  #4

Do you think the Mustang 2.25 in diameter would be as quiet?

5/05/2014 9:26 PM  #5

Wonder how they would sound on a 289, with 351 exhaust manifolds and  2-1/4" / 2" pipe? I have standard turbo mufflers and  want a little more sound, so I was thinking of moving up to the Dynomax Super Turbos, but my exhaust shop said they would sound the same. Not sure what to buy for a little more rumble but without the drone?

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

5/05/2014 9:35 PM  #6

The smaller the pipe diameter, the quieter it will be.  I have a pair of nearly new Gibson stainless steel mufflers someone could get a good deal on.  They probably would be ok on a 289 or 302, or for someone who wants a little more noise than stock. Also, a 427 with 10:1 compression makes alot more noise than a 9:1 302.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/05/2014 10:19 PM  #7

Another amazing accomplishment on your car. 

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.