FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2014 5:44 PM  #1

more electrical gremlins!

Hello all,Robby 13 here. having my anual right before summer electrical problems. first off, 1968, 289, .030 over, c-4 coupe pertronix upgrade. well all of a sudden my ammeter gague starts going all the way to the right on the charge side, then the middle, then all the way to the dead side. Then with motor off, i open the driver side door, and the needle shoots all the  way to the dead side. I just left my mechanic, he said everything checked ok under hood after diagnostic. I did just recently change the instrament voltage regulator from stock to one of the electric ones, and uponn doing that, i noticed that the fuel gague takes its time to register, before it registered quickly. Also temp. gague is reading hotter. Also put in a new starter, and once in a few it wont start, have to jump the selenoid. Any ideas?
Thanx again

5/05/2014 8:32 PM  #2

Re: more electrical gremlins!

FIRST THING!.......check the grounds
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/06/2014 12:58 AM  #3

Hey Sal, thanx for responding. Where the heck would i start looking for bad grounds? Behind the dash? How many are there? Also, how hard is it to replace the big wiring harness behind the dash? Thanxagain!

5/06/2014 4:27 AM  #4

Check the wire connections at the solenoid. Make sure everything is good and clean. Give a little tug on the wires make sure nothing is loose in the terminals. Follow the wires up to the alternator, any connectors pull them apart. Make and break them a few times making sure they are clean and good tight fit. Do the same with the connector on the new regulator.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/06/2014 6:57 AM  #5

rtmjr13@optonline.net wrote:

I did just recently change the instrament voltage regulator from stock to one of the electric ones, and uponn doing that, i noticed that the fuel gague takes its time to register, before it registered quickly. Also temp. gague is reading hotter. Also put in a new starter, and once in a few it wont start, have to jump the selenoid. Any ideas?
Thanx again

If this started after changing out the CVR I would start by making sure that all the wires on the back of the cluster are where they are supposed to be - it sounds like something on the fuel gauge and the ammeter is not wired correctly  (maybe the ground for the fuel gauge is on the ammeter and one side of the fuel gauge is not grounded correctly)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.