FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2014 10:34 AM  #1

Drum Brake Booster vs. Disc Brake Booster

Is this a fact or myth? Does anyone have any credible information source whether there is such a thing as to the booster being specific to a particular brake type?

There's a discussion on another forum where we were talking about boosters. I said a MC is specific to a particular brake system but that a booster is merely a force multiplier and not specific to a particular brake setup.

I've searched the subject but don't come up with a definitive answer.  One poster said the boosters were "calibrated" for the brake type. I don't really buy into that but just to humor that theory, I could partially see the booster being 'calibrated' for an all drum brake system or one 'calibrated' to an all disc brake system but how is a booster calibrated to a brake system that has both --discs and drums?

The booster cannot discern the difference in what type of brakes are on the vehicle. It can't apply more force to the discs on the front and less to the drums on the rear. You have a given amount of surface area on the diaphragm (s) and a given volume in the vacuum chamber area. One part of the diaphragm does not act independently on the primary piston of the MC compared to the boosters force being applied to the secondary piston of the same MC. It takes the amount of force being applied by the brake pedal and amplifies the amount of force being placed on the MC pistons and applies that multiplied force equally on both the MC pistons, regardless of what type of brakes are at the ends of the brake circuits.

What are your thoughts? --and even better if you have a link to an actual engineering explanation (no vendor site references) if there is such a thing as a 'drum booster' or a 'disc booster.'

5/06/2014 10:52 AM  #2

Re: Drum Brake Booster vs. Disc Brake Booster

Many of the Ford cars Master cylinder are sold as being disc/drum or disc/disc. I'd always taken for granted that Ford evs drum brake. I do know some disc/drum master cylinders (T-Bird & Mk VIII as examples) become disc/disc, with removaal of a restrictor inline with the rear brakes.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

5/06/2014 11:13 AM  #3

Tubo wrote:

Many of the Ford cars Master cylinder are sold as being disc/drum or disc/disc. I'd always taken for granted that Ford evs drum brake. I do know some disc/drum master cylinders (T-Bird & Mk VIII as examples) become disc/disc, with removaal of a restrictor inline with the rear brakes.

Tubo

Thanks for your reply, Corky. I had previously stated that there is a difference in master cylinders with regards to the type of brakes being used. What I'm asking is, is there any such thing as a drum brake booster or a disc brake booster?

5/06/2014 11:32 AM  #4

Not in my opinion!
Howard

5/06/2014 11:43 AM  #5

hmartin025 wrote:

Not in my opinion!
Howard

I'm not squabbling with the guy on the subject. That discussion is over with anyway. I would just like to see a definitive answer if such a thing exists.

5/06/2014 11:49 AM  #6

One site I found pointed out that for brand x cars, the boosters are the same but the booster to m/c rods may be different beause of the different bore diameters and flange to piston dimensions.  A-1 Cardone does list two different Bendix boosters/part numbers =12px 54-73507 vs. 54-73011 for a 1968 Ford Custom with 289 for drum/drum and disk/drum (a random test).  I am goint to look those up on Cardone later.  It does state that the output rods are pre-adjusted so that could be the difference - of course this is based on research on Rock Auto so who knows.   I agree, boost is boost, but it is interesting that there are different part numbers for boosters in some cases.  I found a discussion on a Chrysler site and they claimed that there indeed different part numbers for full drum versus disk drum and it was the actual boosted pressure/force that was different but then they also started talking different model years.

On Rock Auto they list a drum brake booster with rod code MU for 66 Mustangs but they also list a generic booster with no brake type designation.

Some other notes along the way - not sure if they are true - 

If you use a disk brake booster on a drum brake car they are over boosted and will be touchy.

For improved brake feel use a drum brake booster with disk brakes - more effort but better feedback

In my case, I bought a booster from MS and it is going in the car.

5/06/2014 12:43 PM  #7

ultrastang wrote:

Tubo wrote:

Tubo

Thanks for your reply, Corky. I had previously stated that there is a difference in master cylinders with regards to the type of brakes being used. What I'm asking is, is there any such thing as a drum brake booster or a disc brake booster?

Just so Ultrastang.
AFIK booster wise Brake pedal pin would be the difference for me too.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

5/06/2014 3:05 PM  #8

There is nothing about a booster found with discs that would make it an exclusively disc useful item.  Size of the booster and single or dual chamber are features that might make it boost more or less if your application needs, but these are features dialed in just as the master cylinder bore.  Simple machines do what they do.  Not sure how you'd prove it except to find a single item that was used in two unrelated and different applications, one disc and one drum.  I don't have a specific example to demonstrate it.  I get the impression someone was being argumentative....

L

Last edited by Lance (5/06/2014 3:19 PM)

5/06/2014 3:40 PM  #9

The following is from childhood memories.   My father had a 1967 Ford Falcon six cylinder car that had 4 wheel drum brakes AND power brakes.   I remember as a boy the brake booster went out.  My dad stopped at the autoparts store and got a remanufactured brake booster and we went home and I watched him put it on.   He started getting a bit upset and said a few words that a 9 or so year old boy shouldnt hear, and then he went inside and made a couple of phone calls and then the next door neighbor, who is now 83 took us back to the autoparts store to exchange it for another.   I was there, and I still remember this.   He told them the rod was TOO short.   I remember the counter man telling him that the difference in the rod length was the master cylinder bore size, and he had the right one in stock and we went back home happy.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/06/2014 3:41 PM  #10

A1 cardone uses same part number on Mustang boosters with discs or drums.  I do not see how there is any difference or why anyone would care.  Like you said, ultra... it is a force multiplier. 

Maybe the factory did use a different springload on th reaction valve in there when the cars were brand new, because they did originally list separate boosters.  I have "heard" the calibration thing also but for my purposes on old Mustangs and trucks, the booster is the same.

As for output shaft adjustments being different.  Yep they are ALL different and they are ALL incorrect for anything that ever came on a Mustang. (talking the adjustable ones from cardone only).  I have a special jig I use to adjust every one I sell before it gets shipped.  All the Mustang masters on classics have 1" engagement depth. Not sure why cardone sets the output shafts on all of them over 1/8" too short.  That can sure screw up an unsuspecting installer if they do not check it first, and who would think to do that when they buy a replacement booster?

Diameter of the rod is inconsequential. 

The only way to settle any argument on this would be to obtain two NOS boosters, one disc and one drum.  Disassemble them and measure everything.  Might find something that was different THEN, but this is now.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/06/2014 3:47 PM  #11

Tubo wrote:

ultrastang wrote:

Tubo wrote:

Tubo

Just so Ultrastang.
AFIK booster wise Brake pedal pin would be the difference for me too.

Tubo

Input rod lengths can be different. Some are straight, some are curved, some have adjustable length input rods, some have round eyelets where the pedal pin attaches, some Dentside ('73-'79) trucks had sort of a triangular shape around the eyelet on the input rod specific to a truck that came with cruise control. Some boosters have adjustable output rods. Some dont --although I think all Bump or Dentside trucks, that had boosters, all came with adjustable output rods (but some Fox boosters don't have adjustable output rods, just as an example).

No pre-'73 model F-100 ever came from the factory with front disc brakes. The first Ford trucks to get optional front disc brakes was the 1968 Ford F-250s. Boosters were factory optional on any '67-'72 F-100 but, it would have been on a truck with all wheel drums. '67 was an odd - ball year in the 5th generation trucks and the optional booster for it is one of the odd, one year only, items on them. They do not interchange with the '68-'72 model brake pedals/hanger supports.

Ford lists around 11 different brake pedal part numbers and nearly 100 different part numbers for brake boosters. I'm fairly certain that there are around a half dozen booster designs I've seen on these trucks but not anywhere close to actually being 100 completely different designs (at least not outwardly). The guy I referenced from the other forum listed three different Ford part numbers for various boosters that he felt proved the boosters were different ("calibrated" to the specific brake design).

Any of us that have been around Fords very long are all too familiar with the fact that Ford was constantly changing part numbers. I'm not so certain the the change of part numbers indicates that something specifically inside the booster is somehow 'calibrated' to a particular brake type. My thought is the number changes applies more to the application it was used on rather than an actual change inside the booster. A booster put on an F-100 may have a different part number than a booster installed on an F-250. The booster may not physically be different, only the application is different thus, generating a different part number even though no actual change to the booster itself. (This is my theory, mind you).

With this train of thought, I checked out the Oreilly website last night. I searched for a booster for a '68 F-100 (that would have been a truck with all wheel drums). It came back with a part number of 54-73515. I next searched for a booster for a '68 F-250. This scenario could be either for all wheel drums or discs front/drums rear. The number that came up was 54-73515. Hey! That looks like the same number as the one that came up for the F-100!

The description mentioned the booster was a 9" diameter unit, single diaphragm with an adjustable input rod. It made absolutely no distinction of the booster application being specific to an all drum brake system or to one with discs front/drums rear. So, does this support my theory that boosters are not specific to brake type or, is it a lack of information on their part? Again, it goes back to needing an (engineering) explanation as to whether a booster is merely a force multiplier or if there is any fact that they are somehow 'calibrated' to a particular brake system; drum/drum, disc/drum or disc/disc?

5/06/2014 4:05 PM  #12

MustangSteve wrote:

A1 cardone uses same part number on Mustang boosters with discs or drums.  I do not see how there is any difference or why anyone would care.  Like you said, ultra... it is a force multiplier. 

Maybe the factory did use a different springload on th reaction valve in there when the cars were brand new, because they did originally list separate boosters.  I have "heard" the calibration thing also but for my purposes on old Mustangs and trucks, the booster is the same.

As for output shaft adjustments being different.  Yep they are ALL different and they are ALL incorrect for anything that ever came on a Mustang. (talking the adjustable ones from cardone only).  I have a special jig I use to adjust every one I sell before it gets shipped.  All the Mustang masters on classics have 1" engagement depth. Not sure why cardone sets the output shafts on all of them over 1/8" too short.  That can sure screw up an unsuspecting installer if they do not check it first, and who would think to do that when they buy a replacement booster?

Diameter of the rod is inconsequential. 

The only way to settle any argument on this would be to obtain two NOS boosters, one disc and one drum.  Disassemble them and measure everything.  Might find something that was different THEN, but this is now.

You were probably writing this when I was making my previous post. I guess the reason I care is because I couldn't find a definitive answer on the subject and the other guy just said the different part numbers proves it. That doesn't prove it in my mind. If I'm incorrect, I will say I was wrong. If his information is incorrect, then that potentially misinforms a lot of people as well.

I agree about input rods. So long as the booster (and MC) does not bottom out on stroke, it really makes no difference how long or short it is (disregarding what it may do to pedal height) --it MAY cause a change to the factory part number though but, that doesn't change what's physically going on inside the booster itself.

I don't think boosters are specific to drums or discs but, I would like to get a definitive answer to this subject, whether there is or isn't such a thing.

Last edited by ultrastang (5/06/2014 4:54 PM)

5/06/2014 4:33 PM  #13

My line of thinking, is that clearly, all drum brake cars require a longer pedal stroke than disc/drum cars.   Maybe the factory once built boosters to specific car lines/options contained in those car lines, and that somewhere along the line rebuilders got the idea to add adjustable input rods as a way to condesnse their part #s and overhead, and it became commonplace. Maybe an OLD Hollander manual, or a retired old timer that once worked at Cardone could shed some light.   Some of these parts have probably been through the remanufacturing process several times over the course of 50+ years.   

As far as the function of the booster itself, I think you are very correct that it serves one function.   I think the only differences would be in pedal travel length, whether that be by pedal ratio, car options (drums or discs) and master cylinder/wheel cylinder bore sizes, would be the biggest reasons for different part #s

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/06/2014 4:51 PM  #14

Lance wrote:

There is nothing about a booster found with discs that would make it an exclusively disc useful item.  Size of the booster and single or dual chamber are features that might make it boost more or less if your application needs, but these are features dialed in just as the master cylinder bore.  Simple machines do what they do.  Not sure how you'd prove it except to find a single item that was used in two unrelated and different applications, one disc and one drum.  I don't have a specific example to demonstrate it.  I get the impression someone was being argumentative....

L

As I mentioned in another post, in this thread, the guy and I weren't arguing. We were just having a civil adult conversation. He believes one way, I believe another. The conversation on the subject there is over.

If I do find a definitive answer and it happens to support my thoughts on what it does, I'm not going to go back there and say, " nah nah, you're wrong, I'm right." If someone makes a future post about boosters there and if I found a definitive link to information then I would include the link to see it for themselves. If someone believes it, fine. If they don't believe the facts, that's fine too.

5/06/2014 5:21 PM  #15

GPatrick wrote:

...A-1 Cardone does list two different Bendix boosters/part numbers =12px 54-73507 vs. 54-73011 for a 1968 Ford Custom with 289 for drum/drum and disk/drum (a random test).  

Thanks for your reply, Gary, and the effort you put into looking up the various information you provided. I see an immediate problem with the information above from the source that printed it. The problem is, "289." In '68,  there were only 3 engine options for the 5th generation pickups; 240 & 300 inline sixes or a 352 big-block. For 1968 to 1969-1/2, engine options were; 240, 300, 360 or 390. 1969-1/2 was the first year a small block was available in a 5th generation truck. That engine was the 302. The 289 was already out of production by that time. From 1969-1/2 to '72, engine choices were; 240, 300, 302, 360 or 390.

The erroneous information the site provided on engine size also makes me wonder how inaccurate its other information is?

I realize the misinformation is not your fault. You're just providing the information that was listed and again, thanks for your time and effort.

EDIT

Doh! I thought you were referencing information on Ford trucks.  After re - reading what you posted, I see you were talking about a '68 Ford Custom ( a car ). My mistake. .... back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.....

Last edited by ultrastang (5/06/2014 5:26 PM)

5/06/2014 5:34 PM  #16

Greg B wrote:

My line of thinking, is that clearly, all drum brake cars require a longer pedal stroke than disc/drum cars.   Maybe the factory once built boosters to specific car lines/options contained in those car lines, and that somewhere along the line rebuilders got the idea to add adjustable input rods as a way to condesnse their part #s and overhead, and it became commonplace. Maybe an OLD Hollander manual, or a retired old timer that once worked at Cardone could shed some light.   Some of these parts have probably been through the remanufacturing process several times over the course of 50+ years.   

As far as the function of the booster itself, I think you are very correct that it serves one function.   I think the only differences would be in pedal travel length, whether that be by pedal ratio, car options (drums or discs) and master cylinder/wheel cylinder bore sizes, would be the biggest reasons for different part #s

Greg, the reason drum brake cars have a longer stroke is usually because they have the manual brakes and manual brake pedal with the different pedal ratio.  Once you install a booster with a power brake pedal, there should be no reason the brakes take a longer stroke.

5/06/2014 5:36 PM  #17

Sometimes Rock Auto "rocks"  I have done a fair amount of research there when there seems to be conflicting part number information.  It has been surprisingly accurate and often provides links where actual dimensions and details are shown rather than "this part fits the following vehicles".  I haven't looked up the difference in the part numbers at Cardone yet.

I will have my own booster project on my new truck I'm afraid - not much boost but possibly the original booster from 1970.  My truck learning curve is steep.

5/06/2014 6:19 PM  #18

If there was such a difference why don't we put it to the test. Use a 65 mustangs drum brake booster and then a 67 disc drum booster and side by side differences and internals. I dought there's a difference but there could be. Because disc brakes are by far superior to drums couldn't you have a stronger booster on drum brake cars than you do on disc brake cars?

5/06/2014 8:43 PM  #19

True74yamaha wrote:

If there was such a difference why don't we put it to the test. Use a 65 mustangs drum brake booster and then a 67 disc drum booster and side by side differences and internals. I dought there's a difference but there could be. Because disc brakes are by far superior to drums couldn't you have a stronger booster on drum brake cars than you do on disc brake cars?

I understand what you're getting at but that particular comparison would be an apples to oranges deal. I'm not certain of the '65/'66 booster diameter but would guess it to be either 7" or 8" in diameter. I'm fairly certain that the stock '65/'66 Bendix booster was a single diaphragm unit.

The '67 Bendix booster was 8" in diameter and had dual-diaphragms. Dual diaphragms have twice the surface area of a comparable sized booster with only a single diaphragm and has greater output force potential than a single diaphragm unit.

So, the comparison of those two choices really wouldn't yield the results of what I'm wanting to know.

5/06/2014 9:52 PM  #20

If your not just wondering about the difference in boosters for fords. You could also look at chevy I know from 73-87 c or k pickups had either power or manual brakes and either power drums or power discs. That would be a pretty equal comparison.

5/07/2014 11:17 AM  #21

That or look at other car on the fox chassis that had power drums all the way around. Then compare it to a svo mustang which have all around power discs.

5/07/2014 11:37 AM  #22

True74yamaha wrote:

That or look at other car on the fox chassis that had power drums all the way around. Then compare it to a svo mustang which have all around power discs.

What Fox car ever had front drums?

5/07/2014 11:49 AM  #23

I could be wrong but didn't some of the Fairmont's have all drums?

5/07/2014 1:05 PM  #24

I don't think so.

5/07/2014 1:08 PM  #25

True74yamaha wrote:

I could be wrong but didn't some of the Fairmont's have all drums?

Fairmont/Fairmont Futura & the Mercury Zephyr were Fox chassis vehicles. For a time, the T-bird & Cougars were on a Fox platform. All Fox platforms had front disc brakes.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.