FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2014 5:12 PM  #1

Doors/Door skins

Stripped drivers door down today and have an area at front that needs patching. Not to bad maybe a 3x3 or 4x4 patch near the corner.  Found some other areas down the bottom of the door that are rust spots sporatic down this area. They haven't rusted thru but need to be blasted and I am sure will blow hold through.  Not sure how I want to go about fixing this or should I consider a new skin or door shell?

Any of you guys had good luck with aftermarket skins or door shells?  Curious what the quality is like on the dynacorn shells and skins? anybody use them?

5/10/2014 6:10 PM  #2

Re: Doors/Door skins

I got a lower door panel for my '66 from NPD.  It was great.  It fit perfectly and my body man did not have to use any filler except at the joint. 

I think that full skins have too much possibility of being out of kilter somehow.  They are too large, and the fit is too easy to get wrong at the factory.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/10/2014 6:18 PM  #3

I know most of the aftermarket stuff doesn't fit to well or has some issue of some kind.

I just worry that the areas I don;t repair will most likley still have rust in the area where the door skin wraps around the door shell since the factory didn't borrow to put any kind of primer or weld thru in that area.

Aside from a rust free door(if there is such a thing) no matter which route I go I am going to have some sort of issue.

5/10/2014 8:22 PM  #4

I just got my 65 on the lift and am looking at all the repop parts on it. I don't like them. So this afternoon I went  over to the junk pile and pulled out the original two front fenders and two doors and trunk lid.  The passenger side fender is ok. The drivers side fender had a shunt with something and needs attention to the front surface around the headlight area. Both doors need bottoms, inner and outer. I am starting to think that fixing the originals is easier than making the repops work even half assed. My question is has anyone replaced the bottoms of their doors. I am talking about the inner structure and outer skin? I am even thinking about taking the repops and cutting just below the indent and doing same to the originals and then welding the best back together? Gotta be better than anything else I have? The biggest kproblem I am having with the repops is that you can't even look at them hard without leaving a dent!!!

5/10/2014 9:31 PM  #5

I got both!
A skin and an aftermarket door.
Trust me on this.........if you can weld(or know somebody who can) repair them!  They just DON'T fit like an original piece.
Went to a show last Wed. and my pal and I were walking around pointin out the after market fenders and doors on the Mustangs that were there. They had pretty(and expensive) paint butt the gaps were terrible compared to the original stuff.
Besides.....no one can see the BOTTOM of the doors....they sure can see the poor fit on the gaps. Patch what you have and keep the original doors (or find some rust-free ones).
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/10/2014 9:32 PM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

I got both!
A skin and an aftermarket door.
Trust me on this.........if you can weld(or know somebody who can) repair them!  They just DON'T fit like an original piece.
Went to a show last Wed. and my pal and I were walking around pointin out the after market fenders and doors on the Mustangs that were there. They had pretty(and expensive) paint butt the gaps were terrible compared to the original stuff.
Besides.....no one can see the BOTTOM of the doors....they sure can see the poor fit on the gaps. Patch what you have and keep the original doors (or find some rust-free ones).
6sally6

DC...go fer it and you will end up with a better fit and the joy of know'in you fixed the original pieces!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/11/2014 5:05 PM  #7

I just spent a lot of time and $$$ because I didn't want repop doors or fenders...or anything else for that matter.  I did end up with an aftermarket cowl but went the distance to get OEM everything else.  Now that the metal and paint work is nearly finished I'm very glad I paid to have original parts saved.  My body guy spent a lot of hours making everything right but no were near as many hours as he spent doing my friends 69 Camaro with all repop parts.  And, the fit and gaps on our 66 HT are much better. 

Do it once, do it right.  You'll always be glad you did.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.