FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2014 9:40 PM  #1

Finally... After 10 years...

Long story short.... When I was 15 I bought a '66 6cyl manual that my cousin had changed to a 289/c4. I knew nothing about classic cars, my dad missed the gearhead gene. The car was not in good shape, but the interior looked good and it ran pretty good. I drove it off and on for about a year before I wanted to restore it back to its original glory. So I began disassembly, with no idea what I was in for.  Off came the front body panels, out the interior, out the engine and trans, and there she sat. I'd tinker and piddle with a paint remover wheel, with no real direction or plan of attack. I uncovered rusted quarters that were caked in bondo, floor pans fabbed out of random metal scraps. Eventually I ordered a bunch of parts and set to removing the quarter panels. I made it as far as removing the driver side full panel.... Then, reality set in. I was 17, and I needed about $25 - 40k to build the car I wanted.   There was no way I could do this on my own. So, I bought a car cover and pushed my shell of a car off to the corner of our 2 acre yard, never to be touched again.

Until now.

For 10 long years my first car sat, the cheap universal car cover long since tattered and blown away, save for the strap I'd used to secure it to the shell. The once bare metal where I'd toiled with a die grinder now consumed by rust, fueled by Alabama humidity. Three weeks ago I borrowed a friends car hauler and took a trip back to my parents house, face to face with my sweetheart after a full 7 years apart. I loaded up the rolling shell and went back home. 

This past weekend I dropped her off with the guy that will be doing the sheetmetal work and basically getting me a good rolling chasis to build into the car I orginally dreamed about. Here she is as of today: 

I must say, seeing this restoration FINALLY get started was pretty emotional, maybe because I've dealt with a lot of loss lately, maybe because this car has been in my life longer than any friend I currently have. Either way, I'm super excited to finally be underway!

Josh

5/14/2014 9:54 PM  #2

Re: Finally... After 10 years...

Cool deal!
"Good old boy from Alabamer,huh?!" Where at?
Has your knowledge broadened since you parked it...or are you just gonna have it restored?
Got ANY questions...this is the site!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/14/2014 10:51 PM  #3

Welcome!  Many, many wonderful people have let their Mustangs sit for many, many years. A lot of us know the feeling. Glad the project is underway. Goog luck. We like updates.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

5/15/2014 9:14 AM  #4

Took me 25 years, bought my 65 fastback in 1983, put on the road in 2008 ... life gets in the way, family, work, mortgage, college payments, etc, etc ... enjoying it now.  Good luck.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/15/2014 10:35 AM  #5

We all have fond memories and can relate to how you feel.  good luck with your project and keep us posted.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/15/2014 11:19 AM  #6

Welcome to the site.  Lots of very smart people to help with questions.  My car is also a 66 former 6 cylinder and the same color.
Good luck with your project.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

5/15/2014 1:31 PM  #7

Welcome, my 69 Mach1 has been sitting for 12 plus. We just have to wait for the right time. Good luck with your project.

5/15/2014 1:49 PM  #8

Getting started is a great feeling.  Don't let the daunting task get to you.  If you start to get burned out, take a break, recharge and get back at it when you can.  My '65 sat undriveable for about 30 months when we did the body work, paint, floor pans, doors, etc.  Other projects ranged from a few days to a few months.  Firing it up for the first time makes it all worth while.

Good luck!

5/15/2014 4:07 PM  #9

Never too late, It's a statement you learn to use a lot,.......the older ya get! Gitter Done you'll just be more proud of the accomplishment.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

5/15/2014 4:08 PM  #10

Aaaahhhhh.  A Wimb White Tcode coupe.  I wonder how many of those were out there.  2 of my friends had red interior.  Mine was parchment.  If you are paying someone to do the work, drop in often, and at unexpected times to check on the progress.  Common wisdom recommends removing and replacing one panel at a time...... Removing too many panels at one time can contribute to the finished product falling short of your expectations.... amhik.....

Keep us posted

5/16/2014 6:07 AM  #11

Welcome aboard.  You have found the best place.

Congrats on getting back to your Mustang.  Take your  time, learn as you go and you'll be a very proud owner.  Do what you can on your own but don't worry that you don't do it all by yourself...few do.  There are just too many aspects to auto restoration for a guy to know everything at a level needed for good work.

You are doing this for the right reason...emotion.  There is no way to do it for money if you do it right.  We are so far upside down on our 66 HT that we'd have to keep it for the 100th Mustang anniversary for any chance of breaking even...but I don't care.  It makes me grin every time I drive it and that's all that matters, not the $$.

In a year or so you can drive it to the Bash and you'll be the happiest guy there.  In the mean time enjoy the experience. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/24/2014 12:16 AM  #12

Thanks for the replies!

I actually was on the original forum back in the day, So I knew my first stop would be here!

Oddly enough, I actually own a bodyshop now, but i dont have the shop space or manpower to devote to a personal project (moneysucker). One of my techs father has been restoring cars for 30 yrs, and is doing all the ugly work for me at his place. When i get it back, it will be ready for final bodywork and paint, and then reassembly. I have a complete interior thats been in storage for 10 years, and boxes of small parts that I ordered back in my teens. Basically my plan is to get the body aced out exactly how I want it, leave it on original chassis for now. Then build it out how I want. Right now Im thinking of a TCI front end and modern 5.0 coyote motor and trans.

Updated pics to come!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.