FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2013 7:52 PM  #1

70 mach 1 wheel and tire help.

It's been determined i have the rear end from a 57 for big car which is 2" narrower than a standard 70 rear end.i was wondering if someone could help with what i would need for an offset in the wheelsl and what sirze tire would filt the wheel well and front fendors properly.
I am liking magnum 500's and BFG's and not too wide , something a tad agressive but as good as aride as i could expect.
Thinking something like 245/60/15's rear and 235/6015's front or all the way around.Any help would be appreciated.

4/27/2013 4:20 AM  #2

Re: 70 mach 1 wheel and tire help.

There are utilities for measuring what wheels will fit best. My 1965 has standard Magnum 500, from a Mach 1 1972, with Coopers 235/60x14R. I spoke  someone with a 1967 with 285 at the rear, which has been all measered up and then wheels ordered with these sizes measured. It looks great and fits well.

Last edited by RonNL (4/27/2013 4:30 AM)

4/27/2013 7:33 AM  #3

Would high-quality 1" spacers on each side allow you to use a standard wheel of your choice for that year or are going custom anyway?  I would prefer not to use spacers if possible myself in the KISS approach but they can solve problems and can't say that I won't be using them when I find wheels for my car.

4/27/2013 7:17 PM  #4

I have thought about the spacer route and would rather not or go as thin as possible.Here is what i figure...If a standard magnum 500 has say a 4.5" backspacing and They fit properly with say a 245/60/15 then i would try and find a magnum 500 with a 3.5" backspacing which would accomplish the same thing and make up the axle being 1" shorter on each side.
Would anyone know what i should be looking for or asking for in terms of offset ?
Does that make sense.

Last edited by Terry M (4/27/2013 7:35 PM)

4/27/2013 10:02 PM  #5

I did a few searches - what else is there to do on a Saturday night!  Not sure but perhaps Dearborn Classics, which are claimed to be made in the US and welded may be able to make you two with 3.5" backspacing.  Vintiques through Summit have 4.5" backspacing in the sizes you would be looking for.  This is out of my range of experience but it looks like you are on the right track as far as offset - I think you may have a hard time finding them at a reasonable cost if at all.  There is one narrow Vintigue 54 series with 3.75" but it is 14X6.  The Dearborn Classics are about $100 more per wheel and make claims regarding their quality over lesser brands.  Others may have knowledge of original wheels that may work.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.