FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2014 7:29 PM  #1

Need help with 65 Mustang 4 speed top loader problem --Will not shift

I just converted my automatic over to a 4 speed top loader and everything seem to have gone ok.  today I tried to shift through the gears and can not go into any gear.  At one ponit in the day it did shift about 3-4 times but since then it is stuck in neutal.
How do I go about troubleshooting the problem?  I will mention that I never used the transmission before just had it available from a trade so I wanted to put it in.
Where do I start?  What can I eliminate?

thanks in advance guys.
Jerry

5/17/2014 7:38 PM  #2

Re: Need help with 65 Mustang 4 speed top loader problem --Will not shift

I'm not a top loader 'spert but I'm sure one will chime in soon. 

I have done some trans work though and I'm wondering if this could be an issue with not having the linkage adjusted just right.  With most manual transmissions, when you start to move one of the shift rails, it moves a ball or slider from that rail's detent into the detent in the adjacent rail.  This prevents two gears at one time.  I am assuming that the top loader uses a smilar system so it may be possible that the linkages or shift rails are not all in perfect timing.

Does this affect just first - second or is it keeping it from going into any gear including reverse?

Just guessin', hope it helps.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/17/2014 8:18 PM  #3

Sounds like linkage adjustment to me as well.  What shifter are you using?  Most shifters have a hole that goes through all three linkages under the shifter.  You put the shifter in neutral and insert a drill bit through those holes and adjust all the linkages so the three levers are in neutral position.  Then lube the shifter and remove the drill bit and it should work.

There should be no slop in the linkage/shifter lever/tranny shifter arms connections.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/17/2014 8:42 PM  #4

I did the neutral alignment process and that all seems fine.  in neutral the rear wheels turn freely.  I can not go into any gear at this time.  how would i adjsut or fine tune the linkage after i ahve done the center hole set up?   i ahve been told that i may still need to fine tune the linkage even after the first alignment.

can i ahe one gear stuck but not in a gear so that theohters will not engage?  the shifter seems to be moving around to each gear properly but just not going into any gears.

thanks

5/17/2014 9:21 PM  #5

Are you sure the levers on the tranny have not been inverted?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/18/2014 10:11 AM  #6

If your shifter has stop bolts on it they may be too tight and not letting the transmission lever move far enough to engage a gear. Does the problem occur while the engine is running AND with it not running or only while running? Is the clutch properly disengaging to allow the transmission to shift?

There is no "I" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance.

5/18/2014 10:39 AM  #7

Have you tried disconnecting all the linkage at the trans and seeing if the shift arms will move?  One at a time, of course.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/18/2014 11:06 AM  #8

There are detents and mechanisms in a toploader to prevent them from engaging two gears at once.  These are to a certain extent unique to each transmission and can only be interchanged with care.  Because of this, some shops will leave a few of these parts out.  As Bob suggests, disconnect the linkage arms at the transmission.  With the rear wheels off the ground rotate the driveshaft until you can engage first gear by carefully turning the appropriate actuator in the correct direction.  If it won't turn, it could be that you are partially into 3rd/4th preventing the shift.  If it goes into first properly, attempt to rotate the 3rd/4th gear actuator.  If the lock-outs are in place, you should not be able to turn 3rd/4th at all.  If it turns, it is real easy to get the shifter set up incorrectly and it is also real easy to try to turn your four-speed into a CVT because of all the extra teeth you will have.  With a properly set up Hurst you can probably avoid a crash but probably is not something I would drive.  If no lock-up occurs, engage each gear by turning the actuator arms and verify that the gears are engaging by turning the driveshaft.  You should feel a clear detent when rotating the actuators when they are in their centered position.  If the detent balls and springs are left out, it is difficult to set up the shifter to the true neutral position and is a situation that would also require pulling the transmission to correct.  If all of this checks out correctly, then the transmission is not the problem and you need to look at the shifter.

As Steve mentioned it is easy to install the shifter arms upside down and with enough work on the wrong actuators so search for some good photos on-line to confirm your mounting.

I have suspicions of the shifter itself.  Before you yank any arms, crawl underneath and have someone push the clutch in and try to engage each gear.  I think you may find the the shifter is moving back and forth and not actually moving any of the shifter rods and arms.  Other than broken parts, check the shifter lever/arm bolts.  If one dropped out, the arm will move back and forth like you are trying to shift and the left/right operation will seem to be OK because the shifter will still push properly side-to-side.  If that theory doesn't pan out, do some searches on shifter failure.  Let us know what you find along the way.  I have also had a situation where the shifter was not tight to the transmission casing allowing it to move back and forth.

5/18/2014 4:33 PM  #9

CCC, a little history please.  What do you know about the transmission's history.  Was it recently overhauled?  Was it in service in a car, and changed out for a reason?  What reason.  Did you remove the top cover and inspect the innards?  Did you run it through the gears before you installed it?  Also, if the clutch is not releasing fully, it may not shift - just a little clutch drag will really mess with the shifting.

5/18/2014 6:06 PM  #10

Thank you men.  The 4 speed was part of a 66 Comet buy I made several years ago.  I do not know the servicability but the guy I bought it from said it was good and that he planned to use it in the Comet.  I did remove the cover and inspect and saw no issues with my inspection and generally just ran it through once.

I plan to remove one linkage at a time to see if one is interferring with another.  since i put in a new pressure plate and clutch and bearing along with a new z bar and all the clutch and fork linkage, I guess I should look to make sure if clutch is dis-engaging to allow shifitng.  Is there a general rule about where ot set the clutch linkage to get in the ball park?. right now I am  1 or so inches from the front of the bar.  Do I need to be more centered?

Thanks again for your great ideas and I will try out these things tomorrow when I get over to the garage.
Jerry

5/18/2014 6:30 PM  #11

more input yesterday i did a google images to make sure of linkages and position and they look like the ones on google.
thanks jerry

5/19/2014 10:22 AM  #12

CCC, you should have about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of free travel at the pedal.  At the side of the transmission, with the linkage unhooked, use a crescent wrench (a short one if you tend to over tighten bolts, etc) on each of the shifters sticking out the side of the transmission - there should be three.  Each of the front two will have 3 distinct detents.  Move each of those to the middle detent.  Get a friend to move the gear selector from in the car forward and back and you should be able to visualize which way the shift linkage should fit on the transmission - pointing up, or pointing down.  Put the shift linkage on one at a time.  If it is the front one first, then get in the car and see if you can easily shift from 3d to 4th.  You may need your friend to turn the driveshaft in order to get the gears to shift.  Repeat at the middle position, it is for shifting 1st and 2nd.  Then, the rearmost is for reverse.  Do all this with the engine OFF.  If any of these steps does not work, then you have a bigger problem.  You might go to:  http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/ and http://toploaderheaven.com/shifter_information/shifter_information.htm  They are both very informative sites for the toploader 4 speed transmission.  Also good source for parts.
Enjoy

5/19/2014 4:58 PM  #13

You ABSOLUTELY "SHORE" you put the new clutch in facing the right direction?!
(Guess who pulled his hair out..before he figgered it out?!)
Jus say'in!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/20/2014 12:42 PM  #14

OK with using the one linkage at a time process set up I am now able to shift 1 -2 -3 -4 but I am still having problems with reverse.  seems very hard to get in reverse gear and and then it is hard to get it to neutral.  but a couple of times it went nicely in and out of reverse.

since the trans was supposed to be rebuilt but 4-5 years ago and was sitting for all that time with no oil in it I am going to start it up and run it on the jack stand to try and free things up a little and then see what gives.

does this make since?

5/20/2014 12:43 PM  #15

yes the clutch had front written on it so I got lucky.

5/20/2014 1:14 PM  #16

What gear oil are you using or do you intend to use?  When in doubt, avoid anything synthetic on older technology and go with the original oil for the application.  You can experiment with other lubes after you prove that it can work with what it was originally designed to use.  

5/20/2014 1:58 PM  #17

CCC, the going into reverse problem is normal.  Reverse is not synchronized, all other 4 are.  Here's the trick for easy reverses - shift to neutral, then shift to any of the 4 forward gears, then go directly into reverse.  Or, you can put 'er in neutral, let the clutch out, and s-l-o-w-l-y go into reverse - if you try to go fast, it will grind.
X2 on what GP said.
It sounds like you have it under control.  Those transmissions were incredibly reliable and tough, you should enjoy it a lot.
Good Luck

5/21/2014 6:15 AM  #18

GPatrick wrote:

What gear oil are you using or do you intend to use?  When in doubt, avoid anything synthetic on older technology and go with the original oil for the application.  You can experiment with other lubes after you prove that it can work with what it was originally designed to use.  

Check out David Kees page for this. He has a note about one from RedLine you can use, that isn't like normal Gear Oil, meaning it doesn't STINK... I used it in my Toploader and it worked awesome.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.