FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2013 11:21 PM  #1

I always hated trying to find good 12v sources under the dash...

So I'm trying something new (to me).

I fabricated a simple mounting plate and secured it in the space above the heater box behind the glove box.

I ran a fused (20A) 12v lead from the battery to the same area.  Its the red wire attached to the top of the terminal block on the right in the photo.

The terminal block on the left becomes a source of switched 12v power using the relay in the middle.  It is triggered by the factory radio power lead.

This set up should give me a variety of 12v sources (switched or batt) as well as good grounds for the radio, amp or other add ons that I decide to put in this car.  All without having to run too much current through the original wiring.

4/26/2013 6:24 AM  #2

Re: I always hated trying to find good 12v sources under the dash...

Sweeeet!  I would have to have a cover on mine, just to keep me from being me!      IT happens!

4/26/2013 6:36 AM  #3

Nice and simple and clean. good job

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

4/26/2013 9:45 AM  #4

Great idea. I did the same, but used a fused distribution block.One for Batt. 12V and one for IGN. 12V  Each  option that I add has its own fuse based on the wire size.I also located them infront of the console gauge pod, , under the heater switch.With my battery relocated to the trunk, I have relays in the original location  of the battery. One relay for Batt 12V and one for IGN. 12V  ( also IGN/Starter relay, HI beam and low beam.

'69 Q  CODE

4/26/2013 9:56 AM  #5

'69 Q  CODE

4/26/2013 10:11 AM  #6

Nice Kaz... love the cobra etching.

4/26/2013 5:11 PM  #7

WOW! Kaz......
I put my relays there also butt.....I had to have a metal cover to "hide" my war'in! Yours is prettty!
Do you get  air in yours because of the louver opening in the rad support in that area? I vented my cover to let the air escape when at highway speeds. It still blows my cover out of place though.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/26/2013 9:54 PM  #8

Hey 6sal6,!
I get air , but it goes trough. I don't have a box, just a large plexy with the cobra etching and a cover attached on top with clear tape.

'69 Q  CODE

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.