FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2014 1:36 PM  #1

347 Stroker question.

This engine has been 2 steps forward and 1 step back the whole way. I don't mind,frustrating at times, but I am learning a lot and know that I am completely a novice.
I have a 347 Stroker that I married up to the transmission last night. Beautiful sight. When I went to put the Torque Converter nuts on, I ran into an issue where my engine would not rotate past a specific point. Clunk and clunk. Thinking I had Transmission issues I split it all back apart. Tried to spin the engine minus transmission. Clunk and clunk. Uh Oh. Thinking back I realized I have not turned the engine since installing the oil pan. I had the alignment marks set up with #1 cylinder at top, so I could figure out my distributor setting.

Short story longer. I think my OAM oil pan is being hit by my 347 Crank shaft. I am getting ready to pull oil pan and spin it minus the pan.

I can't use a rear sump because of front end kit blocking space.

Do they make an oil pan that is slightly bigger than original?
Do they make a spacer to drop OEM pan down a little?
Will I need a different Oil Pump on either choice?

Thank you.

5/18/2014 2:07 PM  #2

Re: 347 Stroker question.

A pan change will require an oil pickup screen change to ensure it sits correctly in the sump and does not interfere with the crank. Your pump should be fine.  You should check this out in your case - it may not be the pan - it could also be the pickup screen.  I was just reading that stock windage trays and main stud girdles can interefere as well.  Are you running ARP rod hardware?  It can also cause some issues because they stick out a little further than stock.  A lot of postings indicated that a stock pan should work but apparently not always.  Should is a lot less certain that will.  Here is an idea I read on one site so I can't say for sure that it will work - especially with how gaskets will fit - =13.333333969116211pxUse late model 5.0L torque spreaders and bolts. Available at Ford parts counters. These are two strips of heavy metal that runs the full length of the pan on each side. It had holes drilled in it for pan bolts. Simply flatten the dimples and install with torque spreaders and your problem is solved.

5/18/2014 3:07 PM  #3

Starting at square one I assume the bottom of the cylinders were clearanced and the pan mating area of the block were checked while assembling the engine, since you stated you turned the engine over before.
My advice-Double check the clearance of the crank throws and connecting rods to the oil pump pickup. I have not ran into this particular issue on the couple of 347s that I have assembled but it is a logical starting point. Next step would be the oil pan. When you take the oil pan off check the pan rail area or slightly lower for scratch or small dent marks from the crank. As far as I know there is no readily available aftermarket oil pan spacers as this would introduce a whole host of other problems. If your pan is the cause, you may have to massage the pan with a trusty hammer or try a different pan all together.

5/18/2014 8:37 PM  #4

Follow up. The oil pan is not the issue. Thinking back to the last time I rotated it. The whole engine was assembled until I decided to change the Time Chain and sprockets. Which led to having to having to change to a different Fuel Pump eccentric because the older style wouldn't work. Which led to me having to make a replacement alignment pin for this because my originals were too short.
I had set everything to TDC and assembled everything. I never rotated the engine because I wanted to set up my distributor at a later date.

Fast forward three months and I rotate engine to connect the Torque Converter.

So I will pull the engine front back of to see if this is issue. Won't be able to touch it until next weekend.

Crate engine would have been cheaper, quicker and easier........ but I would have missed the indepth knowledge that I am gaining each day.

5/18/2014 9:52 PM  #5

Mochaman wrote:

Follow up. The oil pan is not the issue. Thinking back to the last time I rotated it. The whole engine was assembled until I decided to change the Time Chain and sprockets. Which led to having to having to change to a different Fuel Pump eccentric because the older style wouldn't work. Which led to me having to make a replacement alignment pin for this because my originals were too short.
I had set everything to TDC and assembled everything. I never rotated the engine because I wanted to set up my distributor at a later date.

Fast forward three months and I rotate engine to connect the Torque Converter.

So I will pull the engine front back of to see if this is issue. Won't be able to touch it until next weekend.

Crate engine would have been cheaper, quicker and easier........ but I would have missed the indepth knowledge that I am gaining each day.

You think maybe (when you put in the longer pin)...you may have went THRU the end of the cam and the pin is hitting on the front of the engine block?!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/19/2014 9:13 AM  #6

6s6 That is what I am hoping. I made the pin from a cut down stainless steel ARP bolt. I was pretty sure it was flush with the front of the eccentric, but I need to take the front off to look. Unless I can look through the fuel pump port. Haven't checked that. I am headed to Florida for a funeral, so this will eat away at my brain for the next three days. I have actuall considered going out to the shop to look, but we leave for airport in 1/2 hour and wife was not giving me an encouraging look.

5/19/2014 12:59 PM  #7

you were able to change the cam sprocket pin without removing the cam from the engine?  I don't see how that's possible.  Even if you did, how did you drive it in, and assuming you got that far and it went in too far it wouldn't hit the block....it would be near the distributor drive gear of the cam.

5/19/2014 4:48 PM  #8

Nasty65 wrote:

you were able to change the cam sprocket pin without removing the cam from the engine? I don't see how that's possible. Even if you did, how did you drive it in, and assuming you got that far and it went in too far it wouldn't hit the block....it would be near the distributor drive gear of the cam.

Naaaaaa...mine pulled right out! I had to make a longer one too. used a grade 8 bolt(cut off) and some loctite.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/19/2014 6:18 PM  #9

Some aftermarket timing sets will actually supply you with a long and short dowel for the cam gear. If I remember correctly it didnt take much effort to remove them from the cam either.

5/19/2014 6:21 PM  #10

6sally6 wrote:

Nasty65 wrote:

you were able to change the cam sprocket pin without removing the cam from the engine? I don't see how that's possible. Even if you did, how did you drive it in, and assuming you got that far and it went in too far it wouldn't hit the block....it would be near the distributor drive gear of the cam.

Naaaaaa...mine pulled right out! I had to make a longer one too. used a grade 8 bolt(cut off) and some loctite.
6sal6

Wow, the last couple I had to do were a pain to get out, comp cam hyd roller grinds.  Still don't see how it could be driven too far in, more likely the new timing set is rubbing on the block or interfering with the timing cover, or maybe the fuel pump arm slid in on top of the excentric instead of under.

Last edited by Nasty65 (5/19/2014 6:39 PM)

5/19/2014 6:58 PM  #11

On that cam dowel.  The two different lengths are designed to fit the two different timing sets and eccentrics.  You MUST MATCH the eccentric with the timing set designed for it.  The two piece eccentric uses the thinner timing gear that has a raised center on it to provide clearance for the rear half of the eccentric to be able to freely rotate.  The two piece eccentric must use the shorter dowel pin as the eccentric has a small tab that has to fit into the dowel pin hole.  Using the long dowel with a two piece eccentric will ruin the eccentric's tab and allow it to spin about the mounting bolt.
On a one piece eccentric, the timing gear is flat on the front and the long dowel must be used and it must stick into the eccentric, but not all the way through it.  The forged steel washer must be used and the washer covers the dowel to hold it in place.
Most dowels can easily be removed by grabbing them with vise grips.

Have you verified the flexplate counterweight is not hitting the back of the block plate?  I do not think the oil pan could be at fault because your stroke is no longer than a stock 351W.  Do you have a windage tray?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/19/2014 8:11 PM  #12

Steve you wrote "On a one piece eccentric, the timing gear is flat on the front and the long dowel must be used and it must stick into the eccentric, but not all the way through it.  The forged steel washer must be used and the washer covers the dowel to hold it in place."

I don't have this washer that you describe Steve. It didn't come with the comp cam timing set. Any pictures or formal name? I put a new timing set up and cover to work with the better water pump. It wasn't until I read the comp cam install paper work that I found I couldn't use the old eccentric.

5/19/2014 9:46 PM  #13

The washers only come on original engines.  It is for a 3/8" bolt and has a larger than normal OD, to cover the dowel pin, and is very thick and hardened.  A regular washer will not do the job and is just a time bomb.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/21/2014 10:33 PM  #14

Steve I got back from Florida this afternoon and focused in on the Washer you describe. I had installed it, and it was the correct hardened  washer.

Along the way I found my rotation issue on what I like to call The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

The Good: Washer is installed and appears to not be an issue.

5/21/2014 10:36 PM  #15

The Bad: I found that the cheap Chinese Water pump has an extra large flande and bolt hole material that the Harmonic Balancer is just hitting as it rotates. I should be able to grind the water pump are down without any issues.

5/21/2014 10:41 PM  #16

The Ugly: I pulled the harmonic Balancer from the engine because I could have easily ground the metal off without any further issues when I ran into the ugly. I didn't think I was torquing the Timing Cover down with extreme pressure, but apparently I did. It happened before I set the Oil Pan in place becasue the sealant from that actually oozed up through the crack.
I also look at the rotation issue as a blessing now, because I would not have found this crack until I had the eninge installed and was starting the break in of the Cam.

5/21/2014 11:46 PM  #17

Looks like I'm not the only one having wierd luck this week.
Good thing you saw that crack when you did. You would have been a lot madder finding it out later!

5/22/2014 1:39 PM  #18

Never would have expected the water pump hitting the dampner. Never would have guessed that could happen to the timing cover either. Going to have to keep an eye out for that from now on.

5/22/2014 2:26 PM  #19

MachTJ wrote:

Never would have expected the water pump hitting the dampner. Never would have guessed that could happen to the timing cover either. Going to have to keep an eye out for that from now on.

thinking about it, i can't see any good reason it would crack there from over-tightening the bolts.

O.P. when you pull that cover off, make sure it wasn't hitting something. cause unless something was keeping the timing cover from seating against the block, i don't understand why it cracked just from tightening it up. even if you used a breaker bar to tighen it, i'd expect to see you mash up around the bolt holes before you ever broke it.

5/22/2014 9:03 PM  #20

Nothing was out of the ordinary. I wonder if when I drove the seal on the front I cracked or weakened it. I used a block of wood under the new one I pressed in today.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.